Oceana thoughts

darknightsdespiser

3rd time on P and O, never cruised in Europe before but chose this one (Greece, Croatia and Venice) due to regional direct flights.

Flights (Jet2) were punctual and comfortable and the transfers to and from ship very easy and efficient.

The ship is lovely, has a logical layout and beautiful public areas; we never had real competition for seats/loungers anywhere we wanted. I thought our cabin (inside) was shorter on hanging space than previously.

The food was excellent - we ate twice in the Beach House and half the time in the restaurant and buffet - I love that the buffet had a theme every evening and was never packed.  Compared to other cruises we have been on (mainly Princess) I am always a little underwhelmed at the breakfast choice on P and O but the quality was good.  Drinks prices were British - not Wetherspoons but not London either!  I loved the beer flights in the Yacht and Compass.

Only did 2 excursions - Santorini and Venice - Both well organised but both places mega busy.  Dubrovnik was my favourite stop - got off early and got on the city walls before the crowds!

The Headliners once again put on several truly West End standard performances; the dancing in particular was breathtaking.  Enjoyed also the quizzes and English pub night. The British sail away is always fun but lacked something without the flags!

BUT (isn't there always?!)

The entertainment apart from that mentioned above was at best lacklustre - we felt the atrium lacked a string quartet and was quite quiet at times you would expect it to be lively and the "solo entertainer" Jonny Youle was simply the worst act I have seen on a cruise (or possibly anywhere) - his guitar playing seemed promising but then he insisted on "singing"; this was simply the murdering in a droning Manchester accent of several classic hits; annoyingly while he could be avoided indoors when on deck he could be suffered throughout the open decks. How someone so devoid of both talent and personality passed what is undoubtedly a rigorous audition is a mystery!

The wait with a pager for tables was too long on occasion.

Finally just something that amused me - I received I think 3 separate notifications telling me I couldn't wear a football top or novelty clothing (there were several football tops on board) but nothing advising that face cloths have been discontinued - a cost cutting too far?

1 hour ago, darknightsdespiser said:

3rd time on P and O, never cruised in Europe before but chose this one (Greece, Croatia and Venice) due to regional direct flights.

Flights (Jet2) were punctual and comfortable and the transfers to and from ship very easy and efficient.

The ship is lovely, has a logical layout and beautiful public areas; we never had real competition for seats/loungers anywhere we wanted. I thought our cabin (inside) was shorter on hanging space than previously.

The food was excellent - we ate twice in the Beach House and half the time in the restaurant and buffet - I love that the buffet had a theme every evening and was never packed.  Compared to other cruises we have been on (mainly Princess) I am always a little underwhelmed at the breakfast choice on P and O but the quality was good.  Drinks prices were British - not Wetherspoons but not London either!  I loved the beer flights in the Yacht and Compass.

Only did 2 excursions - Santorini and Venice - Both well organised but both places mega busy.  Dubrovnik was my favourite stop - got off early and got on the city walls before the crowds!

The Headliners once again put on several truly West End standard performances; the dancing in particular was breathtaking.  Enjoyed also the quizzes and English pub night. The British sail away is always fun but lacked something without the flags!

The entertainment apart from that mentioned above was at best lacklustre - we felt the atrium lacked a string quartet and was quite quiet at times you would expect it to be lively and the "solo entertainer" Jonny Youle was simply the worst act I have seen on a cruise (or possibly anywhere) - his guitar playing seemed promising but then he insisted on "singing"; this was simply the murdering in a droning Manchester accent of several classic hits; annoyingly while he could be avoided indoors when on deck he could be suffered throughout the open decks. How someone so devoid of both talent and personality passed what is undoubtedly a rigorous audition is a mystery!

Finally just something that amused me - I received I think 3 separate notifications telling me I couldn't wear a football top or novelty clothing (there were several football tops on board) but nothing advising that face cloths have been discontinued - a cost cutting too far?

Thank you for posting this, very interesting. 

We have not been on Oceana yet but we are going in November and was a bit wary. 

Glad you had a good time. 

As for face cloths, they were not in our cabin on our last Aurora cruise but were provided when we asked our cabin steward and replenished daily without question. I wonder if that has changed as Michelle loves a flannel... 

Andy

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you for posting this, very interesting. 

We have not been on Oceana yet but we are going in November and was a bit wary. 

Glad you had a good time. 

As for face cloths, they were not in our cabin on our last Aurora cruise but were provided when we asked our cabin steward and replenished daily without question. I wonder if that has changed as Michelle loves a flannel... 

Andy

It wasn't the lack of face cloths per se, and we got them when we asked - just the kind of bizarre thing to cut out amused me!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

It wasn't the lack of face cloths per se, and we got them when we asked - just the kind of bizarre thing to cut out amused me!

Maybe not many people use them, we don't.

Though having said that, I do use one to dry the sink area.

Thanks for posting.  We like Oceana too and will be returning soon so good to get up to date feedback.  I do remember that the hanging space was limited though.  I plan to take some extra hangers and coat hanger extension hooks to help.  I got those from Amazon - about £3 for 20 .

Thanks for your review. I’ve only been on a 4 night cruise on Oceana but we loved her. Loved the atrium and the Cafe Jardin, fabulous to have a leisurely breakfast or lunch there on a sea day.

Glad she seems to be coming back to Southampton in 2021 as would like to go on her again and don’t like flying.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Enjoyacruise said:

Lovely review, thank you.

Slightly puzzled-have they stopped giving out the flags at the Great British Sailaway?

If they have we have some saved from last time so will take our own !!!

57 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

If they have we have some saved from last time so will take our own !!!

I think I read on a previous thread the plastic flags are being withdrawn and replaced with paper and wooden versions. I think they are on Britannia already. Am sure somebody else will confirm this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarlaMarie said:

I think I read on a previous thread the plastic flags are being withdrawn and replaced with paper and wooden versions. I think they are on Britannia already. Am sure somebody else will confirm this. 

That's great then --- we keep ours as a souvenir--- sad I know. If P&O are reviewing the plastic issue we can not criticise though.

Not sure how a paper flag will wave but good on P&O if this is true

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:11 PM, kruzseeka said:

Thanks for posting.  We like Oceana too and will be returning soon so good to get up to date feedback.  I do remember that the hanging space was limited though.  I plan to take some extra hangers and coat hanger extension hooks to help.  I got those from Amazon - about £3 for 20 .

13 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

They were only giving out the paper and wooden version on Aurora in April.

3 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

After cruising with P and O for many years I am going on the Oceana in February.  My formal evening dresses are very long as I am tall.  Ayou saying that the wardrobe will not be long enough for them

No length wasn't 5he problem, just not as much hanging space as some ships.  Might not be the same in all cabins. I've read some cabin reviews that say storage is good.

Edited by kruzseeka

2 hours ago, SeaJane said:

They were only giving out the paper and wooden version on Aurora in April.

Thank you. I knew they had been changed on one of the ships! Expect this will be a fleet wide change. My parents are on Ventura next month so I shall report back on what they have.

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

No length wasn't 5he problem, just not as much hanging space as some ships.  Might not be the same in all cabins. I've read some cabin reviews that say storage is good.

We've always thought that there was plenty of space on Oceana and have done 2 weeks on her in the Summer a few times. (We always tend to take loads of stuff too -- always just on the limit weight wise for the cases)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, darknightsdespiser said:

I also loved the Oceana! I agree that the sail away was lacking without the flags. I also thought that the entertainment isn’t that good on the Oceana.