Azura passengers stranded?

AndyMichelle

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just seen a report that passengers are stuck ashore in Monaco again, unable to get back on the tenders. 

Lets hope P&O get it sorted and get them back on ship soon. 

Andy

The important thing is safety. We were on a boat trip from Mykonos in August. The ship had docked and was safe but during our boat trip the weather changed. It was quite unnerving getting back to the harbour. The sea conditions can change so quickly and I am sure that they will get them back IF it is safe to do so 

3 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

Stuck in Monaco...……..dream come true😎

But the buffet is open... 😊

Joking aside, stranded on the quayside in poor weather not knowing what is happening can't be much fun. 

I believe they have been moved indoors now. 

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just seen a report that passengers are stuck ashore in Monaco again, unable to get back on the tenders. 

Lets hope P&O get it sorted and get them back on ship soon. 

Andy

Monaco seems to be a problem that keeps re-occurring. I think it is about time P&O dropped Monaco unless the port can guarantee in advance that they would have a berth and not have to tender. It would be a shame to miss this port but passenger safety is paramount along with convenience. Queues waiting for hours for tenders that are unable to operate is not acceptable. No-one’s fault, just common sense.

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Monaco seems to be a problem that keeps re-occurring. I think it is about time P&O dropped Monaco unless the port can guarantee in advance that they would have a berth and not have to tender. It would be a shame to miss this port but passenger safety is paramount along with convenience. Queues waiting for hours for tenders that are unable to operate is not acceptable. No-one’s fault, just common sense.

I believe they are still ashore with not much chance of getting back on board tonight. 

Last I heard they were watching a basketball game in the Monaco Arena waiting for P&O to supply food. 

Andy

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I believe they are still ashore with not much chance of getting back on board tonight. 

Last I heard they were watching a basketball game in the Monaco Arena waiting for P&O to supply food. 

Andy

Looks like Azura is lying off and the tenders are in the harbour. When I looked an hour or so ago he tenders were still by Azura. Cannot see them attempting transfers to night.  Understand there may be 700 passengers involved. 

The problem is all along that coast where there are no berths. There are only ones in Toulon and Marseille to my knowledge. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daiB said:

Looks like Azura is lying off and the tenders are in the harbour. When I looked an hour or so ago he tenders were still by Azura. Cannot see them attempting transfers to night.  Understand there may be 700 passengers involved. 

The problem is all along that coast where there are no berths. There are only ones in Toulon and Marseille to my knowledge. 

I thought Cannes now had berths?

We have been to Monaco a few years ago on Azura and berthed there. If fact we got there a bit earlier than expected as we could not dock in Livorno due to high winds so we carried on to Monaco arriving late afternoon and so had an overnight there.

Brian

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought Cannes now had berths?

I have not heard that, I would have thought that they would have gone there once the problem became apparent if there was a berth. Perhaps they are having swell problems all along the coast.

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So what’s happens to the passengers who are left ashore.  I have (fortunately) never been stranded off a ship. Monaco will not be an easy place to find hotel rooms if folks are stuck overnight.

Hope all concerned get back on safely, if late.

I have heard that they have been taken to a sports arena and that blankets are being handed out(presumably for them to sleep there?).Soup was offered at first but ran out so just biscuits etc at moment.Red Cross as well as Police there so medical needs are being looked after.Hopefully it will be calm in the morning for them to return to Azura.We were ashore for 4 hours in April in Citiveticia(sorry about spelling!!)unable to get back onboard Aurora but that was during the day and we were advised to go back into the town to get some lunch(OBC was added to our account afterwards)so that wasn t too bad but it must be much more of a problem overnight

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I have heard that they have been taken to a sports arena and that blankets are being handed out(presumably for them to sleep there?).Soup was offered at first but ran out so just biscuits etc at moment.Red Cross as well as Police there so medical needs are being looked after.Hopefully it will be calm in the morning for them to return to Azura.We were ashore for 4 hours in April in Citiveticia(sorry about spelling!!)unable to get back onboard Aurora but that was during the day and we were advised to go back into the town to get some lunch(OBC was added to our account afterwards)so that wasn t too bad but it must be much more of a problem overnight

Thanks for the information. What a real shame for those involved, instead of dinner in the MDR a biscuit, instead of a comfy cabin a sports arena floor, but least they are all safe.

I know this sort of thing does not happen often but it makes me think about what medication I carry when I go ashore.

• Like 2

Looks like she’s sailed into a sheltered bay just to the east of Nice and is now tendering. I would think it’s been an unpleasant experience for all those stranded ashore. I expect we’ll hear some firsthand accounts from those aboard before long.

Les.

25 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Looks like she’s sailed into a sheltered bay just to the east of Nice and is now tendering. I would think it’s been an unpleasant experience for all those stranded ashore. I expect we’ll hear some firsthand accounts from those aboard before long.

Les.

They’re using the small harbour at VIllefranche-sur-Mer. I would think they bused the stranded passengers around to there.

Les.

AD9DBFBA-ECD9-4333-9140-8CC7A964228B.jpeg

Of course, we’re speculating somewhat here in the absence of all the facts, but in a situation like this wouldn’t it be reasonable to expect P&O at the very least to make proper arrangements for people to be provided with meals?

This situation may not be within their direct control but there is a duty of care towards passengers, particularly elderly ones.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Of course, we’re speculating somewhat here in the absence of all the facts, but in a situation like this wouldn’t it be reasonable to expect P&O at the very least to make proper arrangements for people to be provided with meals?

This situation may not be within their direct control but there is a duty of care towards passengers, particularly elderly ones.

I’m no expert, but I would think it’s quite difficult to magic up 700 meals without notice. I’m sure we’ll hear in due course, but I hope that P&O did everything possible to care for the stranded passengers. I wouldn’t think they got much sleep either so there’s going to be a quite a few tired people aboard today. It can’t have been very pleasant for those aboard either last night at anchor in a heavy swell 🤢

Les.

17 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m no expert, but I would think it’s quite difficult to magic up 700 meals without notice. I’m sure we’ll hear in due course, but I hope that P&O did everything possible to care for the stranded passengers. I wouldn’t think they got much sleep either so there’s going to be a quite a few tired people aboard today. It can’t have been very pleasant for those aboard either last night at anchor in a heavy swell 🤢

Les.

We’ll find out soon enough what P&O did or didn’t do. There are plenty of places to eat there - even a McDonald’s!  I hope they told passengers they’d be reimbursed for food etc costs. That’s what any other tour operator would have done, and I’d like to think P&O acted reasonably.

Terrible reports coming from aboard that a crew member fell in the sea between the tender and the ship!!!

He seems to be OK, but it could have been a lot worse. 

Imagine if that was a passenger without a life jacket... 

Seems the right call was made to abandon the tenders, at least the stranded passengers are safe. 

Andy 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Terrible reports coming from aboard that a crew member fell in the sea between the tender and the ship!!!

He seems to be OK, but it could have been a lot worse. 

Imagine if that was a passenger without a life jacket... 

Seems the right call was made to abandon the tenders, at least the stranded passengers are safe. 

Andy 

Good to hear that the crew member is not badly hurt but no doubt a little in shock.

Id rather be safe and stuck ashore than potentially drowned or crushed between a ship and a tender. I have seen a crush injury first hand in these circumstances while rendering first aid, not a pretty site.

Safety of passengers and crew is priority. After that P&O can look at the logistics of getting in and out of that port etc for the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Good to hear that the crew member is not badly hurt but no doubt a little in shock.

Id rather be safe and stuck ashore than potentially drowned or crushed between a ship and a tender. I have seen a crush injury first hand in these circumstances while rendering first aid, not a pretty site.

Safety of passengers and crew is priority. After that P&O can look at the logistics of getting in and out of that port etc for the future.

Long queus now, but they are getting back on, thank goodness. 

As you say, safety is paramount. 

Andy 

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Long queus now, but they are getting back on, thank goodness. 

As you say, safety is paramount. 

Andy 

And probably desperate for a shower, change of clothes and a hot meal. At least they have an interesting story to tell over dinner tonight.

Glad the crew member wasn't hurt and that the passengers are on their way back to the ship.

I will be amazed though if stranded passengers weren't fed.   We were stranded (metaphorically - nothing like the situation here) in Harwich on a Bank Holiday when the ship we were expecting to embark broke down in Rotterdam.  Coaches were organised at short notice and 1,500 passengers were taken to Stansted and accommodated in the Hilton or Radisson Hotels overnight with a smaller number in Harwich and Ipswich. Hotel accommodation may well have been problematic on the Riviera but at the very least food should be sourced - I can't imagine P&O wouldn't have organised that and people eventually got more than a biscuit. 

Although as others have said safety is the priority and thankfully all passengers were safe.  But it will be interesting to get the details in due course.

Good point though from earlier post 're taking essential meds ashore - just in case!

Edited by kruzseeka