Azura passengers stranded?

AndyMichelle

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Mmm. P&O mobility requirements are you must be able to mount a 18 inch high step without help. I am not disabled but have short legs and a weak left knee so that me not being able to tender then. I suspect a LOT of passengers would not be able to mount a 18 inch high step unaided.

That would be stepping unaided over an 18 inch gap, not up an 18 inch high step. Only time we have ever tendered with P&O we had to step across a measured gap laid on the floor in the theatre before we were allowed to go and join the queue. Having said that, the crew were very helpful with people who were finding it challenging. However, this is only one experience, I can’t speak for all tender ports with them.

Davecttr: the P&O document says "stepping unaided over a distance of 45cm/18 inches" see post #175.

I agree with SussexBoy and this is how we have previously experienced cruise companies assess capability e.g P&O and Celebrity. However, many passengers on our Azura incident reported that they were not asked to do it, especially the excursion passengers.

I think we all have to bear in mind that it is very different doing it on the floor, as opposed to timing what can be a huge gap between a moving ship and a tender that can move enormously when seas are rough. The crews are always great with helping with this timing, but if you don't have good, confident mobility and balance it becomes very dangerous for all.

We have always loved tender ports, but this experience has taught us to not treat tender ports so lightly and to take a lot more personal responsibility for our own risk assessment and preparation of we do risk going ashore

• Like 3

We were asked to do the step test when exiting the ship that morning, so were all the other passengers leaving on our tender. 

The step test didn't really apply as the swell at the ship was over a metre in the afternoon. They even tried a ramp to get the passengers back on board 

Just now, Sussexboy said:

When we tendered at Guernsey they tested everybody as far as I could tell.

The last few times I have been to Guernsey tendering was not possible but we have done many tender ports and never been asked yet. That said I have managed to avoid tenders on P&O in the last year so perhaps they are being more stringent about it recently?

• Like 1

I have just returned from a trip on Arcadia which had 1 tender port. I got a letter asking me to attend a meeting in the theatre, near the beginning of the cruise, if I wished to use the tender. I assumed this was because I was in an accessible cabin, I don't know who else got the letter. Nor do I know how the people who 'passed' the step test were identified when people actually went ashore (I didn't bother as there was nothing much at the port anyway).

Should be the same on P&O, but somehow a significant number of passengers were ashore with major mobility issues that meant they were unable to separate their legs or stand on one leg in order to do the big step.

One man needed 4 crew to lift him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Who do they ask to do these step tests as in all the cruises I have done with P&O I have never yet been required to do one.

I think it has been a requirement for the past few years. However its location does vary. On Arcadia, we collected a tender ticket in the theatre but it wasn't until we were about to descend the steps to the tender that we were asked to perform the step test. On Ventura, my parents had to perform the step test in the theatre before they got a ticket. 

So I was under the impression everyone had to perform one - I'm in my early 30s and my parents in their 60s. However I'm wondering if maybe some passengers avoid the step test and maybe not know about it by sending a member of their party to collect their tickets to save time, which could be possible if the tickets and test are both located in the theatre. 

4 hours ago, Slugsta said:

I have just returned from a trip on Arcadia which had 1 tender port. I got a letter asking me to attend a meeting in the theatre, near the beginning of the cruise, if I wished to use the tender. I assumed this was because I was in an accessible cabin, I don't know who else got the letter. Nor do I know how the people who 'passed' the step test were identified when people actually went ashore (I didn't bother as there was nothing much at the port anyway).

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't know how they do the test on P&O but on Cunard you do the test when you collect your tour sticker or your tender ticket (if not on tour).

I too was on this 24 night Arcadia cruise. Notification of the step test, times and venue, for those with 'mobility' issues, was circulated to all cabins. 

In addition there was, prior to descending to the tender platform, there was a further 'marked deck step' area which all passengers were required to cross. (at least all those disembarking the same time as me).

Slugsta, do look out for my review coming shortly, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time in both Gaspé and on the ship's excursion to Percé.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I think it has been a requirement for the past few years. However its location does vary. On Arcadia, we collected a tender ticket in the theatre but it wasn't until we were about to descend the steps to the tender that we were asked to perform the step test. On Ventura, my parents had to perform the step test in the theatre before they got a ticket. 

So I was under the impression everyone had to perform one - I'm in my early 30s and my parents in their 60s. However I'm wondering if maybe some passengers avoid the step test and maybe not know about it by sending a member of their party to collect their tickets to save time, which could be possible if the tickets and test are both located in the theatre. 

See my above post.

We were obviously typing at the same time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I’ll look out for it as we have one tender port next year. We are both perfectly able to get on and off a tender so not a problem anyway, I was just curious.

We are lucky enough to be able to board tenders unaided but to be honest cruised with P&O many times in the last 19yrs and never even heard of or seen anyone doing a step test and we have tendered in differing ports many times and also with other cruise lines.

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Slugsta, do look out for my review coming shortly, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time in both Gaspé and on the ship's excursion to Percé.

Yes, I am looking forward to reading your review.

I really felt that the effort of getting myself and my chair into the tender was more than I wanted to expend!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We are lucky enough to be able to board tenders unaided but to be honest cruised with P&O many times in the last 19yrs and never even heard of or seen anyone doing a step test and we have tendered in differing ports many times and also with other cruise lines.

It started about 5 years ago and those with registered mobility problems were asked to go to a lounge to do the step test.

I can pass it but now I look at the sea state and do my own risk assessment. I am getting to the stage that staying on board is looking good.

• Like 3