Embarkation in Venice

shink113

We're going on our first med cruise in a few weeks.  Our flight lands in Venice at 9am.  Our boarding time is at 12:00pm.  Anyone have prior experience with boarding the Constellation in Venice?  When we cruise out of the states we arrive early and get on board early quite easily.  Also, we're planning on getting the transfers from Celebrity.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 😉

If you are using the Celebrity transfers, you will probably not arrive at port until noonish.  Picking up luggage, going through customs, etc., waiting on others to join transfer group,  takes some time.  Then there is the drive to the port.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 3

We used the Celebrity transfer and it worked smoothly. By the time you clear immigration & collect your luggage then get to the coach + the journey to the port is around 30 mins + you won't have any problem.  Once off the coach we checked in straight away and made our way onto the ship - no waiting around.

• Like 1

We've been on Connie out of Venice too - I think we boarded (private transfer) at about 10.30.  If you get the ship provided transfer you will inevitably have to wait at the airport for everyone to assemble, then arrive at the check in at the same time as at least 48 other people.  That will inevitably make for some element of delay. If you want a quick and easy boarding I would opt for private transfer and try to get ahead of the provided coach. 

Re-reading - I'm not sure if your reference to boarding time is an allocated time?  X does allocate times to try to keep congestion in the check in area to a minimum but they won't turn you away if you are earlier or later.  Anything that avoids you arriving at the same time as the cruise buses from the airport will be quieter.

If you want transfer suggestions post (or just search) on the Italy Board - loads of folks will help.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lydnsyd said:

We used the Celebrity transfer and it worked smoothly. By the time you clear immigration & collect your luggage then get to the coach + the journey to the port is around 30 mins + you won't have any problem.  Once off the coach we checked in straight away and made our way onto the ship - no waiting around.

Just  to add - we have also used a private transfer which worked out well. We used airporttaxitransfers  dot com  Think the fare was around 50 Euro's but that depends on how many people etc. We had 4 in our party with 4 suitcases.

Sailed on Connie out of Venice a few years ago. 

1. Boarding times are pretty much the same as in the US.  You can certainly board earlier than noon.

2.  Regular (car) taxis service the ship pier.  You don not need a water (boat) taxi to get to the ship.  Exit the airport and take a taxi to the ship.  Why take the overpriced X transfer and have to wait for the bus to fill etc....be on your own schedule!  Get a cab on your own at the airport.

3.  We arrived on a very early flight and were at the pier by 9am.  Porters took our bags and carry ons.  We kept only our valuables and took the vaperatto (water bus) into St. Marks Square.  That was a great option.  You are in Venice....don't sit on the boat all day.  Go take a walk in town and have lunch at a cafe.  Venice is magical!  

4.  Important - You must see the Grand Canal.  The X shuttle into St. Marks goes on the sea route (the ship will take that out) and not the famous Grand Canal.  Take the vaporetto from P Roma (right by the pier) directly down the grand canal to St. Marks.  That route is along the postcard sites of Venice.

5.  Sailaway from Venice - The Venice views are on the port (left) side of the ship.  

Enjoy Venice and your cruise!

On 9/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, shink113 said:

We're going on our first med cruise in a few weeks.  Our flight lands in Venice at 9am.  Our boarding time is at 12:00pm.  Anyone have prior experience with boarding the Constellation in Venice?  When we cruise out of the states we arrive early and get on board early quite easily.  Also, we're planning on getting the transfers from Celebrity.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 😉

Welcome to Cruise Critic shink113!

Might be on the same cruise? - 11/8/2019 Venice to Rome.  We are flying in 2 days in advance, and will arrive in Venice the day before embarkation.  As others have mentioned, we plan to take the AVTO bus from the Venice airport to the Piazzale Roma (parking lot area).  From there, you can catch the people mover which takes you directly to the port. 

Enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, DENIE said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic shink113!

Might be on the same cruise? - 11/8/2019 Venice to Rome.  We are flying in 2 days in advance, and will arrive in Venice the day before embarkation.  As others have mentioned, we plan to take the AVTO bus from the Venice airport to the Piazzale Roma (parking lot area).  From there, you can catch the people mover which takes you directly to the port. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, we are on the same cruise!  So much to figure out in so little time.  Did you join the roll call for our cruise?

Where can I look up the AVTO bus information?

Edited by shink113

1 hour ago, shink113 said:

Yes, we are on the same cruise!  So much to figure out in so little time.  Did you join the roll call for our cruise?

Where can I look up the AVTO bus information?

Hi shink113...

Yes, I am on the roll call for our cruise.  We are traveling with another couple, and doing private tours, so I haven't been active.

I found the AVTO buss information by looking up the Venice Airport (Marco Polo) on google.  It seemed to be the best option for us (although we have a hotel stay, but selected one very close to the drop off point).

46 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Hi shink113...

Yes, I am on the roll call for our cruise.  We are traveling with another couple, and doing private tours, so I haven't been active.

I found the AVTO buss information by looking up the Venice Airport (Marco Polo) on google.  It seemed to be the best option for us (although we have a hotel stay, but selected one very close to the drop off point).

Thanks, I found it.

Now I have to figure out the Rome port to FCO.  🙂

• Like 1

We found the Alilaguna Blu line an excellent "solution" to arrive from the airport right on the pier, and seeing Venice to boot. They have porters to help you with your luggage.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu

For the transfer from port to FCO, we've used this company with utmost satisfaction, and value for money --

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

We found the Alilaguna Blu line an excellent "solution" to arrive from the airport right on the pier, and seeing Venice to boot. They have porters to help you with your luggage.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu

For the transfer from port to FCO, we've used this company with utmost satisfaction, and value for money --

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Thank you so much!  I'll be using both of your suggestions!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

Sailed on Connie out of Venice a few years ago. 

1. Boarding times are pretty much the same as in the US.  You can certainly board earlier than noon.

2.  Regular (car) taxis service the ship pier.  You don not need a water (boat) taxi to get to the ship.  Exit the airport and take a taxi to the ship.  Why take the overpriced X transfer and have to wait for the bus to fill etc....be on your own schedule!  Get a cab on your own at the airport.

3.  We arrived on a very early flight and were at the pier by 9am.  Porters took our bags and carry ons.  We kept only our valuables and took the vaperatto (water bus) into St. Marks Square.  That was a great option.  You are in Venice....don't sit on the boat all day.  Go take a walk in town and have lunch at a cafe.  Venice is magical!  

4.  Important - You must see the Grand Canal.  The X shuttle into St. Marks goes on the sea route (the ship will take that out) and not the famous Grand Canal.  Take the vaporetto from P Roma (right by the pier) directly down the grand canal to St. Marks.  That route is along the postcard sites of Venice.

5.  Sailaway from Venice - The Venice views are on the port (left) side of the ship.  

Enjoy Venice and your cruise!

Hi, Shink113 - I agree with all of the above.  I was on the Constellation last month.  I drove to Venice (from Tuscany in a rental car), but when we left to return home at the end of the cruise, we took a taxi.  It was a fixed rate of 45 euros (about $50) and took less than 20 minutes.  The Venice airport is small (by US standards, in my opinion) and would be easy and not intimidating to get a taxi.  The fare should be the same.  Just confirm before you get in the cab what the rate is.  You'll save money over the Celebrity transfers and get to the ship faster.  The convenience and speed might be worth the difference in price between the bus/people mover and the taxi.

We arrived at the ship on embarkation day a little after 11 am and were on board by about 11:30 am.

Watching the sailaway down the canal is definitely not to be missed!

Have a great time - we really loved it!

• Like 1