Tours

aroundthehorn

Hi,

I'm booked for a cruise in February to Australia and new Zealand.  I am looking for tours and tour guides for Melbourne,  Burnie, Dunedin, Akaroa and Wellington.  I would rather not do viator. Anyone with any experience and suggestions.  Also, i need transportation from the airport to my hotel. Thank you for all your help. 

Gail

6 hours ago, aroundthehorn said:

Hi,

I'm booked for a cruise in February to Australia and new Zealand.  I am looking for tours and tour guides for Melbourne,  Burnie, Dunedin, Akaroa and Wellington.  I would rather not do viator. Anyone with any experience and suggestions.  Also, i need transportation from the airport to my hotel. Thank you for all your help. 

Gail

Which Airport to which hotel?

Hi,

The reason that I would prefer not to use viator, and to have other choices,  because they are a third party and the tour operators make less money and TripAdvisor is the owner viator.  Also, the tour group size are sometimes large and I prefer small groups.  I've read some 50 and 100 group sizes. Also, when things go well,  they're great, but people who have had problems,  didn't find support. 

I will use viator if i can't find guides.

Gail 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Just curious, why do you not want to do any Viator tours?  I was looking to book one as have only heard good things and it's certainly cheaper than the ships excursion but would love to have your input?  Previous bad experience? Thanks.

Although many do have good expereinces with Viator, they are indeed a third party vendor, tacking a comission on the toiurs (which you can usually book directly). Since they are not the actual providers, you have little recourse if you do have a problem.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.viator.com

3 minutes ago, sippican said:

Although many do have good expereinces with Viator, they are indeed a third party vendor, tacking a comission on the toiurs (which you can usually book directly). Since they are not the actual providers, you have little recourse if you do have a problem.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.viator.com

Hi,

Back to my original question.  Does anyone know of tours guides in Melbourne,  Burnie,  akaroa, Dunedin  and Wellington.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Gail 

Thanks both of you for that valuable information.  Good to know for sure!

We are doing Aus/NZ in December and I've got a few private tours booked so far.  

On a previous visit to Akaroa we did a harbour and dolphin cruise with Akaroa Dolphins.  They were a great company with a small group...think we had ten people on our tour, and gave great information onboard.  I would book ahead for this as they do sell out quickly.  This time around we're planning to just walk to the Giant's House for a look around and then grab some fish and chips at the pier or at one of the quaint cafes along the waterfront.

In Dunedin we've booked the Taeri Gorge train trip through Good Company tours.  Much cheaper than the ships excursion and since both the ship and GC use the same train there's no worries about missing the ship.  Also, GC picks up and drops off right at the ship.  

In Wellington we're planning to take the free shuttle from the ship to the funicular and at the top either walk back down through the botanical gardens or if raining take the car back down again and then visit Te Papa.  Busy day that!!

We don't visit any of your other stops, hopefully someone else can help you out there!  Enjoy!  NZ is beautiful and very friendly!!

3 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

On a previous visit to Akaroa we did a harbour and dolphin cruise with Akaroa Dolphins.  They were a great company with a small group...think we had ten people on our tour, and gave great information onboard.  I would book ahead for this as they do sell out quickly.  This time around we're planning to just walk to the Giant's House for a look around and then grab some fish and chips at the pier or at one of the quaint cafes along the waterfront.

In Dunedin we've booked the Taeri Gorge train trip through Good Company tours.  Much cheaper than the ships excursion and since both the ship and GC use the same train there's no worries about missing the ship.  Also, GC picks up and drops off right at the ship.  

In Wellington we're planning to take the free shuttle from the ship to the funicular and at the top either walk back down through the botanical gardens or if raining take the car back down again and then visit Te Papa.  Busy day that!!

We don't visit any of your other stops, hopefully someone else can help you out there!  Enjoy!  NZ is beautiful and very friendly!!

Thank you so much! You are very helpful. 

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Just to correct your statement in red above. There are two different trains used - one is the train for the ship's excursion which picks passengers up from the ship and the other is used for privately booked passengers and other tourists - Good Company (whom we used last November) will have a coach waiting outside the cruise ship terminal at Port Chalmers and will transport you to the railway station in Dunedin where you will board your train. The ship excursion train had already passed through the station before we boarded ours. After returning to Dunedin we had a tour of the city and then were returned to the ship by our coach. We were delayed due to signal faults on the track as was the ship's train. The trains stopped out of Dunedin at a tiny station and our coaches met us there. The train company had to provide coaches for the ship excursion passengers to take them back to Port Chalmers.

I can recommend the Akaroa Fish and Chips shop along Beach Road, just a few minutes walk from the pier. Best fish and chips we have had for a long time.

Leigh

Hi,

The reason that I would prefer not to use viator, and to have other choices,  because they are a third party and the tour operators make less money and TripAdvisor is the owner viator.  Also, the tour group size are sometimes large and I prefer small groups.  I've read some 50 and 100 group sizes. Also, when things go well,  they're great, but people who have had problems,  didn't find support. 

I will use viator if i can't find guides.

Gail 

Gail, Viator also have small group tours - up to 10 passengers. We have used them in NZ and had no problems. 

Did you know Cruise Critic is also part of the Trip Advisor and Viator group?

To help you with suggestions for Melbourne, what are you interested in doing and seeing?

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Gail, Viator also have small group tours - up to 10 passengers. We have used them in NZ and had no problems. 

To help you with suggestions for Melbourne, what are you interested in doing and seeing?

Leigh

Thanks. Yes.

Penguins and anything else someone experienced tells me are musts. I am open for any suggestions. 

Gail

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Leigh, which nz tours did you do with viator?

2 minutes ago, aroundthehorn said:

Leigh, which nz tours did you do with viator?

Actually our Dunedin train trip was through Viator,  the operator was Good Company but other passengers had booked directly through them. 

Tauranga - to Rotorua - excellent - maximum of 10 people

Auckland - 3 hr city tour which was excellent - maximum of 10 

We had also originally booked an excursion from Akaroa to Christchurch but decided to cancel and stay in Akaroa. Our refund was promptly paid back to our credit card.

Friend who were cruising with us also did a morning tour in Wellington with Viator and another in Dunedin and couldn't speak more highly of them.

Leigh

About the gorge trip from Dunedin - I emailed the railway company for my port day (Feb 11, 2020) and I got this reply:

"Hi there
On this day there are two ships in port at the same time so the only way you can do the gorge train is through the ships shore excursion programme and yes they will be running.  Our regular service will not be running.
You need to contact the ship you are travelling with and book your trip through the shore excursions desk.
I hope this helps!
Kind Regards
Barbara"

So if you aren't there Feb 11, 2020, check with the port authority website to see how many ships are in Dunedin (Port Chalmers) that day. 

When we cruised NZ in Jan this year, we did a number of 'private tours' some of them booked thru 3rd parties incl Shore Trips & Tours & we have booked thru Viator on earlier NZ cruises.

For your specific ports we can recommend:

Dunedin 

Tourworks Mainland Peninsula Tour https://www.tourworks.co.nz/tours/dunedin-peninsula-tour/ we saw penguins, albatross & seals as well as many coastal and city sights

Akaroa

Pohatu Penguins 4WD Scenic Nature Tour https://www.pohatu.co.nz/Scenic+Nature+Tours.html (booked thru Shore Trips & Tours) we saw rescued penguins, & wonderful scenery

Wellington

Lord of the Rings 1/2 day tour with Rover http://wellingtonrover.co.nz/ (booked thru Shore Trips & Tours) visited locations from the films and the WETA workshops

These were all small group tours, with pier pickup and drop-off

Thanks. Yes.

Penguins and anything else someone experienced tells me are musts. I am open for any suggestions. 

Gail

Gail, what ship and what date are you in Melbourne? Do you like to visit museums or art galleries, markets or prefer to be out doors walking around? Let me know what you like to do and I'll give you some suggestions.

You mention penguins. There are penguins at St Kilda Pier which is just a tram ride away from the city or a long walk or taxi from the Station Pier where you will dock. But they are seen at dusk. You could visit the Melbourne Aquarium or Melbourne Zoo to see various species of penguin. There is also Phillip Island where there is a penguin colony and which is quite a tourist attraction, but once again you need to be there at dusk so unless you have a night in Melbourne it is not possible to see them. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

Just to correct your statement in red above. There are two different trains used - one is the train for the ship's excursion which picks passengers up from the ship and the other is used for privately booked passengers and other tourists - Good Company (whom we used last November) will have a coach waiting outside the cruise ship terminal at Port Chalmers and will transport you to the railway station in Dunedin where you will board your train. The ship excursion train had already passed through the station before we boarded ours. After returning to Dunedin we had a tour of the city and then were returned to the ship by our coach. We were delayed due to signal faults on the track as was the ship's train. The trains stopped out of Dunedin at a tiny station and our coaches met us there. The train company had to provide coaches for the ship excursion passengers to take them back to Port Chalmers.

I can recommend the Akaroa Fish and Chips shop along Beach Road, just a few minutes walk from the pier. Best fish and chips we have had for a long time.

Leigh

Thanks so much Leigh, I guess I'm thinking what I read must've been both trains used use the same tracks...so whatever affects the ship's train would affect the private train as well.  Keeping my fingers crossed it all works out!!

Thanks for the recommendation for Akaroa F&C...there was another one recommended on TA and CC but it's actually on the pier...have you tried that one and can compare?   Sorry, I don't know the name..

39 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thanks so much Leigh, I guess I'm thinking what I read must've been both trains used use the same tracks...so whatever affects the ship's train would affect the private train as well.  Keeping my fingers crossed it all works out!!

Thanks for the recommendation for Akaroa F&C...there was another one recommended on TA and CC but it's actually on the pier...have you tried that one and can compare?   Sorry, I don't know the name..

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

You mention penguins. There are penguins at St Kilda Pier which is just a tram ride away from the city or a long walk or taxi from the Station Pier where you will dock. But they are seen at dusk. You could visit the Melbourne Aquarium or Melbourne Zoo to see various species of penguin. There is also Phillip Island where there is a penguin colony and which is quite a tourist attraction, but once again you need to be there at dusk so unless you have a night in Melbourne it is not possible to see them. 

Leigh, what good news! We are overnight in Melbourne.

Frances

On 9/29/2019 at 9:59 AM, aroundthehorn said:

Hi,

Back to my original question.  Does anyone know of tours guides in Melbourne,  Burnie,  akaroa, Dunedin  and Wellington.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Gail 

I booked with this company as you pay them directly (I'm paying in cash). Cadbury's has been replaced with another chocolatier 

664115780_Screenshot_20191005-160144_KeepNotes.thumb.jpg.16389a0763139bac39ded31a828033fe.jpg

Edited by Ombud