Live from the Whisper( but it's really windy) Greenwich to New York

spinnaker2

Its chilly outside ( 2 C) and overcast, however the sun is challenging the clouds. 

We are still moving at a good clip, about 16 knots, towards St. Johns.

Seas have gentle choppy rollers. I can hear the wind as it bangs against the dividers out on the verandah. It knocks and hits the metal so hard it vibrates. That noise has been with us since we departed Falmouth, at times very loud. 

Landfall expected this afternoon.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Dusa,

Thanks for your encouragement! The Captain just announced we shall be arriving in St. Johns about 14 hours early. The ship is seaworthy and rides well. We like sea days which is why we book crossings.

IMO, the sea and the weather isn't the biggest challenge. 

🙂

Hi Lois, 

Hope all well in the peninsula.

Hi Spins, things are going ok...thanks...…..going to Venice a week from tomorrow for a River cruise:classic_biggrin:....it cannot get

here soon enough!

• Like 1

Wait awhile and the weather changes. Now its raining and wind is 44 knots. Seas are rough.

At breakfast we enjoyed watching the waves crest right outside the window. 

As the wave reaches its pinnacle one may see straight through the clear green water, like a porthole in the foam.

Photographs never really capture this event, it just has to be witnessed.

The seabirds continue to circle the ship. Will they follow us all the way to New York, or take a break from their journey?

Comments heard round the ship from the passengers mainly about the weather.  This is a crossing after all, and one in the North Atlantic in the Fall, one expects to have unsettled weather. 

While there are some stops in ports on either side of the Atlantic, the cruise is about seadays!!

It was however, surprising to hear a crew member comment about seadays. And even more so, the comment concluded that the crew member was gleeful that the seadays are almost over.

To each his own.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

Thanks Candy (and Larry) for taking us along on your fall crossing—admire you positive attitude about problematic sea/weather conditions—bravo!

As you note above, Dougburns (who probably has more days at sea than most cruise critics from his truly exceptional quarter century+ Navy career) often told me when we suggested (over a decade) a Silver Spirit fall crossing over the North Atlantic—no thank you Wes, the seas will be most likely very rough.

Guessing the crewmember who is looking forward to the end of the sea days on your fall cross, is looking forward to the free wifi that may be available at your next few ports of call.

57 minutes ago, WesW said:

Thanks Candy (and Larry) for taking us along on your fall crossing—admire you positive attitude about problematic sea/weather conditions—bravo!

As you note above, Dougburns (who probably has more days at sea than most cruise critics from his truly exceptional quarter century+ Navy career) often told me when we suggested (over a decade) a Silver Spirit fall crossing over the North Atlantic—no thank you Wes, the seas will be most likely very rough.

Guessing the crewmember who is looking forward to the end of the sea days on your fall cross, is looking forward to the free wifi that may be available at your next few ports of call.

Hi Wes and thanks. 

Since you guessed, I will give you a clue, the crew member looking forward to the end of sea days is actually an officer!

The mention of same made publically.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:17 PM, zqtchas said:

There never is any Comp red zin. Have requested several times by the t/a. Rec’d one this time because previous h/s “mike blanc” found one from an old wine maker event. The h/s always say request it by the t/a, but it has never worked for me.

Have you considered  Primitivo, as this is the original grape all Zin comes from

At the moment on board the Muse we have Luccarelli Primitivo from Puglia , a very good taste and body, try it if you have it on board

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beaujolais said:

Have you considered  Primitivo, as this is the original grape all Zin comes from

At the moment on board the Muse we have Luccarelli Primitivo from Puglia , a very good taste and body, try it if you have it on board

Yes, that’s what they left me. It was quite good. Was surprised there was no burgundy (red) on board.  

3 hours ago, beaujolais said:

Had some Luccarelli Primitivo and it is nice...thanks for the suggestion.

Sunny and chilly this morning.

6.5 C

Apparently the ship is covered in a salt crust. Shortly washing will begin! A little colder and we would have an ice crust.

Many pax are off to excurse, as I am still dealing with the symptoms of a cold, DH and I may just walk about or find a sunny spot to contemplate lifes' bounty.

• Like 2

It's a cute town, and there are nice views from the back part of town after you climb up. I hear there are some nice restaurants too.

We were there probably 10 years ago. We went off hiking with friends and found a nice spot for a group photo. I set the timer on Chris's camera and ran to join the group. I stepped in a hole, tripped and did a complete head over heels flip, landing on my butt as the camera snapped... Great photo! Lucky I didn't break anything, other than the filter on my camera lens...

P1090252.thumb.JPG.5870b5f4455a70ff65b1d1a747de3019.JPG

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1