What to do in Naples?

Fnigro07

Naples isn't really a great "wine tour" destination; at least not compared with Tuscany. 

There are a few tours that will take you to visit a local vineyard on the slopes of Mt. Vesuvius or above Sorrento. 

I can think of many activities/experiences in Naples I'd rate more highly however....  A trip to Pompeii or Herculaneum, a day in Capri, the famed Amalfi Coast Drive...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We really enjoyed Naples when we were there last week. Took the Circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum and spent the morning there. Returned by train and decided to take a taxi back towards the port. He dropped us 5 minutes walk from the port and we found a street cafe where they did pizza and a drink for 6 euros, it was delicious! Then walked to 1 Umberto shopping centre, an amazing building. We followed the road to Piazza Plebisco and the palace. Followed the road to the sea for great view of Vesuvius and back to the ship.  Great day out

No way would we recommend any "wine tour" from Naples.  It is just not a better wine district within Italy.  What to do?  We could list at least 50 things.  If you want to leave town you could take the jetboat out to Capri, do to Pompeii, Herculanium, take a tour (preferable private in a small vehicle) to the Amalfi Coast, stay in Naples and have pizza, go to the Archaeological Museum, and there are many more options.  And don't forget to try some gelato while in Italy.

Hank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We have been to Naples twice.  Frist time did Amalfi Coast in the morning and Pompeii in the afternoon.  Second time did the Amalfi drive.  Something with the Amalfi Coast would still be first on my list.

Amalfi Coast + Pompeii is definitely our goal. Is it doable in one day (port of call)? Should we opt for boat or road? Thanks! 

our original plan was to do a tour which included 2 hrs at Pompeii then a drive along the Amalfi Coast.  Many tour companies offer this itinerary but we found that they didn't really provide much time along the coast; some spent time in Sorrento then only stopped at an overlook for Positano. for a photo opp.  So as you research these itineraries, be mindful of the details, so you know what you're getting.

The Coast was our priority so we decided to give up Pompeii.   We visited Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello.  Awesome drive, awesome scenery ! 

We (group of 4)  hired a driver with Aldo Limos so we could have a private tour and customize the itinerary.

For instance, I had been to Cinque Terre on a previous trip and seeing the villages from the sea was the highlight.  So we wanted to see the Amalfi Coast from the water.  Our driver took us to Positano where we spent an hour, then we took the ferry to Amalfi, spent an hr, then met up with the driver to visit Ravello and have lunch.  It was a great day!

Enjoy !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jennyumaa said:

Amalfi Coast + Pompeii is definitely our goal. Is it doable in one day (port of call)? Should we opt for boat or road? Thanks! 

If you go by boat, it is definitely doable in a day.  You do not get the full feel of the Amalfi drive but you see several towns and get to spend a couple of hours in Amalfi.  We bought the tour from the cruise line at a reasonable price.  On our first trip it was a good way to see both in one day.

Links to pictures from that day

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/1076

58 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

If you go by boat, it is definitely doable in a day.  You do not get the full feel of the Amalfi drive but you see several towns and get to spend a couple of hours in Amalfi.  We bought the tour from the cruise line at a reasonable price.  On our first trip it was a good way to see both in one day.

Links to pictures from that day

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/1076

Thank you! These are wonderful pictures! May I ask how much you paid for the excursion? An equivalent on RCL would be $200pp.

3 hours ago, jennyumaa said:

Thank you! These are wonderful pictures! May I ask how much you paid for the excursion? An equivalent on RCL would be $200pp.

As you can see this was a few years ago so I do not remember what we paid.  We were on Liberty OS so it was a RCL excursion and $200 seems like the right ballpark (although it was probably closer to $150 then).  It did include lunch at a hotel right on the Mediterranean.  Food was OK (I am vegetarian) but the location was great. We were very happy with the choice. 

In my research I found that most private tours run about 400E for an 8 hr day.   To decrease the cost, you could post on your Roll Call to find 2 or more people to join you.  We were a group of 4 so we didn't look for anyone else to join us.  It was an 8 pax Mercedes mini van but I think over 6 pax  would have been too much.

The ferry was about 20 minutes and cost around 8E pp.

• Like 1

We’ve just returned from our cruise. We had a day in Naples and it was  a fantastic day. I think It was the best day of my cruise. We took a car from Europe Car (central station)  and did the Amalfi coast drive. To tell the truth we didn’t manage to get to Amalfi as we were afraid to be late for the ship. But it was OK with us. It was a fantastic drive. Breathtaking and hair-rising! Bellow is my video. My DH was driving.

https://youtu.be/r10X-lvCNm8

I’m not god in taking videos and in reality it’s much more beautiful  and exiting😊

Jess  

We found Pompeii to be totally amazing I consider that a must, Capri is also a cool trip. Getting pizza in the city where pizza was invented is also a must. Great port , would rather do a wine tour around Florence the heart of Chianti Classico area. 

On 10/24/2019 at 4:16 AM, George C said:

We found Pompeii to be totally amazing I consider that a must,

We didn’t stop at Pompeii… but we stopped at Herculanum and I vote for Herculanum. Yes, it’s less famous and smaller then Pompeii but on another side it’s closer to Naples and 1 -1,5 hour is more or less enough to see it. As far as I know it also better preserved as well. We found Herculanum to be totally amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrazyJess said:

We didn’t stop at Pompeii… but we stopped at Herculanum and I vote for Herculanum. Yes, it’s less famous and smaller then Pompeii but on another side it’s closer to Naples and 1 -1,5 hour is more or less enough to see it. As far as I know it also better preserved as well. We found Herculanum to be totally amazing.

Herculaneum is not better preserved than Pompeii -- that's a myth repeated by a lot of tourists, some of which have not even visited both sites. :classic_rolleyes:

Both sites are amazingly preserved; both feature a number of opulent houses with still existing wall frescoes and mosaics. Pompeii provides a full picture of a Roman town and for that reason alone I feel it is a better site. Herculaneum is still partly un-excavated and is likely to remain that way, with very few of its public buildings viewable. You cannot see a Roman forum at Herculaneum -- and the one at Pompeii is a chilling site, with Vesuvius looming in the background. Nor can you see a gladiatorial school or a Temple to Isis in wonderful condition.

(Plus the amphitheater at Pompeii is one of the oldest known; it pre-dates the Colosseum. And....there's no amphitheater visible at Herculanum.)

Because Pompeii is large, it requires planning. If you take the time to find out what houses are open on a given day, and at what time, you will see treasures that exceed what is available at Herculaneum. As an example, here is a link to the recently restored Villa of the Mysteries (beside one of Pompeii's gates) that has some of the best preserved and most unique Roman frescoes in existence:  http://www.iitaly.org/magazine/focus/facts-stories/article/pompeiis-villa-mysteries-finally-restored-after-two-years     And yet I'd venture to guess that only 1 in 5 tourists who go to Pompeii seek it out...

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Herculaneum is not better preserved than Pompeii -- that's a myth repeated by a lot of tourists, some of which have not even visited both sites. :classic_rolleyes:

Sorry! You are right – I’ve been only to Herculaneum. I know it’s not good to give any suggestions if I haven’t visited both places…. I just wanted to say haw much I was impressed by Herculaneum.  I feel so lucky I had chance to visit it and to  see  all these with my own eyes. I’m so thankful to all on this forum who suggested me to visit Herculaneum.

Yes, I’ve been only to Herculaneum …. Till now.  😊 I hope I will return…. No, better to say – I’m sure I will return 😊😊😊

Jess.

• 2 weeks later...

The beauty of forums such as this where you can come and get a completely opposite opinion.
Personally, Naples is the one city of many I have visited, that I have absolutely no desire to return to. It was grotty, sleezy and I felt very uncomfortable walking the streets and riding on the buses. I spent a day and a night there and that was more than enough. I was travelling with my daughter, who is also well travelled and she felt exactly the same. 

Exactly! It is the one place with so many sights to see not to mention the food, sigh!  

We were absolutely awed by the Villa Oplontis this year!  Thanks both eurocruiser and cruise mom for your info!    And then there are Capri,  Ischia, Caserta........

23 hours ago, freezion said:

The beauty of forums such as this where you can come and get a completely opposite opinion.
Personally, Naples is the one city of many I have visited, that I have absolutely no desire to return to. It was grotty, sleezy and I felt very uncomfortable walking the streets and riding on the buses. I spent a day and a night there and that was more than enough. I was travelling with my daughter, who is also well travelled and she felt exactly the same. 

Curious when you were there? Recently? A few years ago Naples had somewhat of a bad reputation, what with the garbage issues and a general lack of citywide upkeep. I feel like it has improved over the last decade, but it is still a real city, one that faces significant challenges. If you go there expecting Disney World, you are likely to be disappointed.

I really like Naples and I find it's a city that grows on you. I can't say that I have ever felt unsafe there, but I do think that -- as in any big city -- one must use common sense when walking or using public transportation. 

A lot of people think of Naples just as a port with a lot to do in the surrounding area, which is true. But the city also has something to offer, for those who enjoy the tradition of grand European capitals (Naples is not now, but once was, such a capital when Italy wasn't a country but a group of city-states.)

• Like 1

A similar thread a few months ago, worth reading for anyone staying in town for the day:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2675283-diy-naples/?tab=comments#comment-57790019

There are probably other threads which should be easily found using SEARCH THIS FORUM.

We enjoyed our day. Yes, Naples can be scruffy in parts, but there are many hidden gems waiting to be found.

• Like 1

We've stopped at Naples twice over the years.  The first time we went to Pompeii.  The second time we went on a private (CC) tour that stopped at Herculaneum, Sorrento (where my favorite liqueur Limoncello originated, made from lemons; the area has many lemon groves) and the western end of the Amalfi coast.  Loved it all!  Have never spent any time in Naples itself as generally it has not gotten good reviews on CC.

Edited by BarbinMich

On 11/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, freezion said:

I will agree to the extent that Naples is NOT one of my favorite places in Italy :).  But Euro Cruiser (for whom I have a lot of respect) convinced me to spend more time in Naples and we have managed to find some of charm of that city.  That being said, we still think that the greatest benefit of the port are the many day-trip options that get one away from Naples.  We have been to the port at least 2 dozen times and have never been bored with all the options.  In fact, we still have one option in our "bucket list" which is to grab a fast boat over to Procida.   And over the many years of our travel life we have never grown tired of the Amalfi Coast (we stay in Praiano when doing driving trips).  Capri is also worth multiple visits.

Hank

• Like 1