New Martinique Passport Requirements.

TTEllis

I'm almost positive starting at the end of next month to get off the ship in Fort-de-France Martinique, US passengers are going to be required to show a passport to get off the ship. It's the French remember, 1st island in the Caribbean to do that. Later Todd

I saw this. Ridiculous. Especially when a lot of us go snorkeling or swimming or other outdoor activities where the less items, the better. We wont be there until next December 2020.  I can only imagine the lines to get off. Will there be customs there for everyone? This is not going to be pleasant trying to get 3000 people off of a ship showing their passport.

• Haha 1

It's always something, when I handed Christelle (Karambola) a $100(US) bill and she said she couldn't take it, I knew in some capacity there was going to be problems with Martinique. Now they take US currency BUT you have to have a US Passport to get off the ship. What a farce. 

I have a feeling many who had planned on getting off the ship in Fort-de-France wont be, especially US passengers. It doesn't take much especially for seniors to not get off the ship anymore.  I'll be back on Martinique in Dec. 2020, I was there last Dec., really enjoyed the island, I'm looking forward to going back. 

Actually I'm not sure I would take my original passport out of my safe during my cruise. 

• 5 weeks later...

It's always a good idea to have a passport with you in case you get stuck on an island (accident, health problem etc.). I would never go ahore without.

Martinique is part of France, so you should expect the same checks as if you were flying to Paris, for example. I don't think there's anything to be worried about with regard to immigration (as for customs, most people won't be bringing anything other than a small bag onto the island with them, so I don't foresee any lengthy checks)

In any case, I'm certain the French officials will be more welcoming than US officials are for French people entering the US.

• 1 month later...

A passenger on the Carnival Pride in November has a YouTube video and stated their procedure. If you had your passport scanned when checking in, it was then connected to your sail & sign card and therefore you did not have to show it getting off in Martinique. If you did not have a passport connected to your S&S card or you did not show a passport at the gangway then you were not allowed to get off the ship. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:31 PM, Belgian fry said:

Sounds like they are very well organised! Thank you for the information.

Just wondering whether I should bring some Euros with me . In case we go for a drink or buy a souvenir. I have no problem  in doing that if that's required .

Thanks

• 1 year later...

We now live in Puerto Rico, and last week we heard French being spoken for the first since the pandemic, and when asked they said they were from Martinique... Interesting I thought

Bill and Sarah

Edited by srpilo