RT LHR-AMS

PAsailors2

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

Doing a land tour ending in Stratford-Upon-Avon(transfer to LHR included); followed by b2b cruises out of Amsterdam - one river, 1 ocean. Wondering what good price point is to fly RT LHR-AMS July 24(‘20)-Aug 22(‘20).  Is $154/economy reasonable, or should we wait?

Also, most luggage storage places we have found online will only store for a week. Does anyone know a service which stores longer?

Thanks much!

Anne

Check budget airline like Easyjet or Ryanair. They have some good rates if you book a few months ahead. However note you will need to pay extra for your luggage, book that online too as at the airport it is far more expensive. The same for yoiur boardingpasses.

Other airlines like KLM or British Airways also often have some good deals, again also here you pay extra for your luggage. 

That price feels a bit toppy and a quick Google Flights search suggests it is - I’d expect to pay around £100 (so around €112). 

I know you said your transfer to LHR is included, but can it be switched to Birmingham airport? So much more convenient for Stratford-upon-Avon and KLM fly direct to Amsterdam. 

It’s not clear where you are asking about storing luggage - UK or Netherlands? 

2 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

It’s not clear where you are asking about storing luggage - UK or Netherlands? 

Thanks for your response. The storage would be in Amsterdam as the river cruise only permits 1 bag/pp. 

Unfortunately the transfer has to be through LHR as that is the airport the land tour is using

4 hours ago, Ine said:

They have some good rates if you book a few months ahead.

Ine,

Appreciate your response. I’ve oft read your advice to travelers on these boards!  Noting that our trip is July/August, when you say book a “few months” ahead, I guess I am looking too early at this point?  Just like to have everything planned out!  I will set up a “watch” on the hopper app but it doesn’t give a wide choice of airlines. Will look into Ryan and EasyJet as you suggest. 

Thanks much

Anne

1 hour ago, PAsailors2 said:

Ine,

Appreciate your response. I’ve oft read your advice to travelers on these boards!  Noting that our trip is July/August, when you say book a “few months” ahead, I guess I am looking too early at this point?  Just like to have everything planned out!  I will set up a “watch” on the hopper app but it doesn’t give a wide choice of airlines. Will look into Ryan and EasyJet as you suggest. 

Thanks much

Anne

Yes indeed it is too early yet to book. Check again  more or less around 6 months before you travel. Also subscribe for the newsletter of easyjet, BA, KLM and/or bookmark their sites and check often for special deals.

Easy Jet are currently booking out to 30 August 2020. But irrelevant in the context of the OP’s query because they do not fly from Heathrow (nor do Ryan Air). 

OP, there seem to be cheaper flights than your quote available now on the dates you mentioned. I saw a KLM fare of £94 on Google Flights, but haven’t checked with a booking. You might get £20 off that at some point, but is it worth the trouble? I’d just book something I was comfortable with and then it’s done and paid for 🙂

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Stratford is only 20 miles from the Birmingham Airport (BHX). Plenty of options to Amsterdam from there as well; even if you book it as two tickets (BHX-AMS and AMS-LHR), it's probably more convenient that going back to Heathrow

image.png.dbd8826cfdf74305f160d9abda31fdab.png

Edited by scottbee

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

Stratford is only 20 miles from the Birmingham Airport (BHX). Plenty of options to Amsterdam from there as well; even if you book it as two tickets (BHX-AMS and AMS-LHR), it's probably more convenient that going back to Heathrow

I appreciate your helpfulness. Unfortunately the transfer is only to Heathrow through the tour company, so BHX isn’t an option for us. 

Anne

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Easy Jet are currently booking out to 30 August 2020. But irrelevant in the context of the OP’s query because they do not fly from Heathrow (nor do Ryan Air). 

Thanks for this info. I discovered that when checking a tip from a previous post. 

Anne

2 hours ago, PAsailors2 said:

I appreciate your helpfulness. Unfortunately the transfer is only to Heathrow through the tour company, so BHX isn’t an option for us. 

Anne

My point is a private transfer to the BHX airport + flight to AMS is still probably cheaper than a flight from LHR (the most expensive airport in Europe).  Does it matter if you don't take the tour group's last bus ride back to Heathrow?

31 minutes ago, scottbee said:

My point is a private transfer to the BHX airport + flight to AMS is still probably cheaper than a flight from LHR (the most expensive airport in Europe).  Does it matter if you don't take the tour group's last bus ride back to Heathrow?

I don’t know how often you fly from Birmingham, but that’s not generally my experience, unless using a budget carrier (I live a few miles from Stratford, so consider BHX every time I fly). For the OP’s dates, the KLM flights are showing slightly more expensive than ex-LHR. I’d pay that premium to avoid the long drive to LHR, but it’s not going to be cheaper. 

And given the query about luggage storage storage in Amsterdam, I suspect baggage charges might stack up on FlyBe etc. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

20 hours ago, PAsailors2 said:

Also, most luggage storage places we have found online will only store for a week. Does anyone know a service which stores longer?

The Bagage storage located at Arrivals at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport stores hold bagage for a maximum of 30 days. Details and prices can be found on the Schiphol website; https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiphol/services/luggage-storage#time-details

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

15 minutes ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

The Bagage storage located at Arrivals at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport stores hold bagage for a maximum of 30 days.

Thank you SO much!  That’s something we can check off the list. Much appreciate your time in responding and including the link

Anne

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

My point is a private transfer to the BHX airport + flight to AMS is still probably cheaper than a flight from LHR (the most expensive airport in Europe). 

Will certainly investigate this!  I have a call in to the tour company to see if we can get a refund of our transfer fee if this airport works in our favor. 

Anne