Haven't found an answer--yet

Silverback969

It took us a while, but we FINALLY realized the value and convenience of using magnets, or magnetic "gadgets" that we could just hang on whichever wall would be most useful.  On our last cruise--on Amsterdam--we discovered that the walls were non-ferrous--magnets wouldn't hang ANYWHERE.  Next cruise, we're booked on Nieuw Statendam, cabin D1104, and we're curious as to whether our magnetic hooks will hang on the walls.  Does anybody have any information on Nieuw Statendam?  As always, I appreciate any information you can share.

I think it might depend on the type of cabin whether or not magnets stick to the wall.  We have cruised on the Amsterdam 11 times for a total of 308 days and were always able to use magnets to stick maps and other papers to the wall and the door.  However, we always booked inside or outside cabins, so maybe some of the suites have fiberglass or aluminum walls.  Haven't been on the Nieuw Statendam, though.

We used our magnetic hooks on the Nieuw Statendam for our Baltic cruise in August. We were in a verandah cabin on deck 6. We used them in our closets and on the wall next to the bed. Worked fine for us.

Just to be clear, 1104 is a J category, not a D.  We will be on her sister ship in January, so the information gleaned from your thread will be helpful to us.  We also bring 3M Command hooks for the cabin in case the walls aren't favourable for magnetic hooks.  Rather than using scotch tape to put notes on the mirror, we use post-its - they don't leave sticky residue.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

:QUOTE: Just to be clear, 1104 is a J category, not a D. :ENDQUOTE

Ger_77--not to be argumentative, but the Holland America website shows it as a Cat D in its deck plan, and our confirmation e-mail also showed it as a Cat D.  Not gonna fall on my sword over this--Hal's website isn't known for 100% accuracy on its website.  Doesn't really matter what category it is.  We've stayed in the next-door cabin on Amsterdam (I think), and we know what we're getting.  We always bring along our scotch tape, which we've used on most of our previous cruises, 'cause we didn't know the cabin walls were ferrous.  Hoosier-Grandaddy--it just so happens that I have several rare-earth magnets hanging around--if you "dissect" the hard drive out of your old computer, you'll find a pair of rare-earth magnets--watch out, though, if you get them close together, they'll slam together, and you can get a nasty, maybe even a blood blister

Thanks to all for your responses and information.  Looks as though we'll be taking our magnets along, and tape as back-up medium.

1 hour ago, Silverback969 said:

:QUOTE: Just to be clear, 1104 is a J category, not a D. :ENDQUOTE

Ger_77--not to be argumentative, but the Holland America website shows it as a Cat D in its deck plan, and our confirmation e-mail also showed it as a Cat D.

Ah, then you are referring to D11104; I looked at the HAL deck plans again, and 1104 is definitely a J, but yes the 11104 is a D.  You'll have a bird's eye view of where you're going!  Enjoy your cruise.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂