Dover to Southampton

theavonb

Hello, We will be getting off our cruise in Dover and getting on the QM2 two days later. We need to find the best way to get from Dover to our hotel in Southampton? Is there a reasonably priced private shuttle service that would take us? I have checked the train out but not sure if we would be able to handle our suitcase on and off the train?

Thank you

As you have no doubt already discovered, there is no direct service between Dover and Southampton; the train would require a change in London Waterloo at the very least.

The easiest (but most expensive) option is to book a private hire car. You should contact at least two companies, one from each end of the journey. Here are a couple to go on with (there are others).

Southampton - http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk

Dover - https://www.taxisfolkestone.co.uk/

It's over 150 miles on congested roads so allow 3 hours at least and expect a cost of £400 to £500 for the car. The train is around £75.00 each.

The cheapest alternative would be to go by coach. This would only be around £22.00 each, but it is a seven-hour journey with a change at Victoria Coach Station. You would really need that mimosa after that 🙂

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Edited by Bob++

You might want to see if there's a coach transfer from your ship to Gatwick airport, from there it's a leisurely 2hr direct rail service to Southampton.  If you wanted to avoid going into London, that's the most reasonable approach in my mind.

For some reason, the most reasonable rail option doesn't show up; and you'd have to book it as two tickets

Dover -> London Waterloo East

3 minute walk to London Waterloo (stations are connected)

London Waterloo -> Southampton Central.

As you're probably discovering. A lot of UK rail services concentrate in/out of London; hence most of the rail options take you in and back out of London.

Edited by scottbee

2 hours ago, scottbee said:

You might want to see if there's a coach transfer from your ship to Gatwick airport, from there it's a leisurely 2hr direct rail service to Southampton.  If you wanted to avoid going into London, that's the most reasonable approach in my mind.

For some reason, the most reasonable rail option doesn't show up; and you'd have to book it as two tickets

Dover -> London Waterloo East

3 minute walk to London Waterloo (stations are connected)

London Waterloo -> Southampton Central.

As you're probably discovering. A lot of UK rail services concentrate in/out of London; hence most of the rail options take you in and back out of London.

I just found out that there is a cruise shuttle to Gatwick airport, so this makes it much more convenient for sure.  Would we just buy our rail ticket when we got to the train station or do we have to book ahead? 

Thanks so much

1 hour ago, theavonb said:

I just found out that there is a cruise shuttle to Gatwick airport, so this makes it much more convenient for sure.  Would we just buy our rail ticket when we got to the train station or do we have to book ahead? 

Thanks so much

Booking ahead is a bit cheaper, but not available until 12 weeks out.  Generally the best priced tickets are available in the 8-10 week timeframe.

From Gatwick, the service is once per hour for the direct service to Southampton.  While there are other trains that take a similar amount of time -- but involve a change @ Clapham, and you don't want that.

Not sure how long/how much the cruise transfer is for Dover -> Gatwick (cruise transfers are often double what doing it yourself costs), but also consider what I had posted with a train to Waterloo East, and a train from Waterloo.  I'm stunned at how inexpensive the train to Waterloo East is; if only Southampton had those kind of deals.

41 minutes ago, scottbee said:

Booking ahead is a bit cheaper, but not available until 12 weeks out.  Generally the best priced tickets are available in the 8-10 week timeframe.

From Gatwick, the service is once per hour for the direct service to Southampton.  While there are other trains that take a similar amount of time -- but involve a change @ Clapham, and you don't want that.

Not sure how long/how much the cruise transfer is for Dover -> Gatwick (cruise transfers are often double what doing it yourself costs), but also consider what I had posted with a train to Waterloo East, and a train from Waterloo.  I'm stunned at how inexpensive the train to Waterloo East is; if only Southampton had those kind of deals.

The shuttle is pricy compared to the train prices, it takes about 2-2.5 hrs., so you have given us lots to think about. Really appreciate it. 

Just a thought if you felt up to it; hire a car and drive yourself.

A modest 2-door  would cost less than £100 with pick-up at Dover and drop in Southampton. They say only one large case, but with only the driver and one passenger, you should have plenty of room for luggage.

The quick route takes you on the M"% which might be better avoided. The alternative, and much more interesting route follows the South Coast and should be do-able in less than five hours with a stop for lunch along the way. 

Not a solution for the faint-hearted though as you would have to cope with a stick-change and driving on the laft.

5 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

Just a thought if you felt up to it; hire a car and drive yourself.

A modest 2-door  would cost less than £100 with pick-up at Dover and drop in Southampton. They say only one large case, but with only the driver and one passenger, you should have plenty of room for luggage.

The quick route takes you on the M"% which might be better avoided. The alternative, and much more interesting route follows the South Coast and should be do-able in less than five hours with a stop for lunch along the way. 

Not a solution for the faint-hearted though as you would have to cope with a stick-change and driving on the laft.

Yeah I don't think this would work for us. Driving a standard car isn't a problem but driving on the opposite side of the road could be down right treacherous! To bad we couldn't hire someone private that would take us along that South Coast, it looks like it would be a lovely ride. Thanks for you input though.

1 hour ago, theavonb said:

The shuttle is pricy compared to the train prices, it takes about 2-2.5 hrs., so you have given us lots to think about. Really appreciate it. 

Example (I picked Thur 14 Nov for an example 6 weeks out).  8-10 weeks out is normally the sweet spot for train pricing.

dep Dover Priory 10:58

arr London Waterloo East 12:47 

GBP 10.10/ea

< 250 metre covered walk between platforms >

dep London Waterloo 13:05

arr Southampton Central 14:22

GBP 9.00/ea

So that's under 20 quid/each for a 3½ hr transfer from Dover to Southampton.  I doubt there's a way to do it either faster or cheaper by any mode of transport.

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

Example (I picked Thur 14 Nov for an example 6 weeks out).  8-10 weeks out is normally the sweet spot for train pricing.

GBP 10.10/ea

GBP 9.00/ea

So that's under 20 quid/each for a 3½ hr transfer from Dover to Southampton.  I doubt there's a way to do it either faster or cheaper by any mode of transport.

WOW, that is awesome, will run this by hubby. PS...this Canadian had to google “quid”...lol

2 hours ago, theavonb said:

...Driving a standard car isn't a problem but driving on the opposite side of the road could be down right treacherous...

Driving on the “right” side of the road, ie the left, should not be a problem if you follow the Motorways...from Dover A20 on to the M20 to M26 to M25 to M3 and then the M27 into Southampton. A bit of a meandering route but easy to follow and dual (‘divided highway’) carriageway. The last few miles after the M27 would be on regular roads. Would be fun and car hire should be reasonably priced. Consult a map and see if it would be feasible for you. Good luck! Cheers...CV...

51 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Driving on the “right” side of the road, ie the left, should not be a problem if you follow the Motorways...from Dover A20 on to the M20 to M26 to M25 to M3 and then the M27 into Southampton. A bit of a meandering route but easy to follow and dual (‘divided highway’) carriageway. The last few miles after the M27 would be on regular roads. Would be fun and car hire should be reasonably priced. Consult a map and see if it would be feasible for you. Good luck! Cheers...CV...

I don't think that my issue would be just traffic coming at me on the wrong side (not an issue on a divided highway), but rather that everything that I am used to watching for has to be reversed. (I have never driven on the opposite side of the road, but I have cycled in Wales, New Zealand and Australia, and it is very difficult to get used to traffic on the wrong side.) Also, although I don't drive a standard, we are used to shifting with our right hand, and that would be awkward to do with the left. I also presume (although I am not certain) that the pedals are reversed, so that you have to deal with your feet differently, even if the car is an automatic.

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think that my issue would be just traffic coming at me on the wrong side (not an issue on a divided highway), but rather that everything that I am used to watching for has to be reversed. (I have never driven on the opposite side of the road, but I have cycled in Wales, New Zealand and Australia, and it is very difficult to get used to traffic on the wrong side.) Also, although I don't drive a standard, we are used to shifting with our right hand, and that would be awkward to do with the left. I also presume (although I am not certain) that the pedals are reversed, so that you have to deal with your feet differently, even if the car is an automatic.

You are absolutely right. I don’t think we will even consider renting a car, not at our ages. I would like to enjoy the rest of my senior years!

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I also presume (although I am not certain) that the pedals are reversed, so that you have to deal with your feet differently, even if the car is an automatic.

I can reassure you on this aspect. The order of the pedals is universal (left to right: clutch (if manual), brake, gas). 

But it if anyone is more than slightly nervous about driving on the ‘other’ (never ‘wrong’ 😀) side, I don’t try to persuade them. 

5 hours ago, scottbee said:

GBP 10.10/ea

GBP 9.00/ea

This routing does show up on National Rail enquiries, but they are not configured to do  split ticketing, hence will quote for £74-60 for this journey.

Important to note that the fares above are both ‘Advance’, and are therefore only valid on the services shown. If you missed the connection at Waterloo, you would have to buy a new, more expensive, walkup fare. Advance fares will vary in both availability and price - £9 is the very cheapest from Waterloo, a more common price is £15. 

But with that caveat, it’s a great option for this awkward journey. There are lots of trains from Waterloo, so I might build in an extra half hour or so for the connection, just in case there is a delay on the Dover train and to allow lots of time to make the Waterloo East to Waterloo transfer - as Scottbee says, this is by covered walkway, but it is actually a change of station, not just a platform switch. It probably wouldn’t be needed, but then you have time to grab a coffee or snacks for the next leg. 

Just following this. I live near Dover and have both driven and trained it to Southampton. The drive can be horrendous (even for a taxi) and it's sometimes taken nearly 6 hours to do so as the motorways in Kent are really busy, usually have roadworks and/or accidents. The option of going to Gatwick and then take the train is pretty good and you could get to Gatwick by taxi for a much cheaper price and it usually takes me less than 2 hours to drive there. 

The train is really easy, if not a bit slow. 'Slow' train (there are two versions from Dover Priory - High Speed and 'slow') to Waterloo and a very easy walk to Waterloo East. There should be some luggage trolleys as well. But, as mentioned, give yourself a lot of time in case of train delays and just not having to rush to catch your connecting train. 

mea culpa.

I was lazy and didn't check the split ticket option. I would say that in spite of your reservations, the train is probably the best option. Yes you will have to get your own luggage into the carriage, but in my experience there is always a good Samaritan if you are struggling (if only to make sure you don't delay the train :)) .

I guess that it would be lunchtime when you are at Waterloo, so if you allowed time to stop for a bite; there are plenty of choices in the station precinct.

10 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

This routing does show up on National Rail enquiries, but they are not configured to do  split ticketing, hence will quote for £74-60 for this journey.

Important to note that the fares above are both ‘Advance’, and are therefore only valid on the services shown. If you missed the connection at Waterloo, you would have to buy a new, more expensive, walkup fare. Advance fares will vary in both availability and price - £9 is the very cheapest from Waterloo, a more common price is £15. 

But with that caveat, it’s a great option for this awkward journey. There are lots of trains from Waterloo, so I might build in an extra half hour or so for the connection, just in case there is a delay on the Dover train and to allow lots of time to make the Waterloo East to Waterloo transfer - as Scottbee says, this is by covered walkway, but it is actually a change of station, not just a platform switch. It probably wouldn’t be needed, but then you have time to grab a coffee or snacks for the next leg. 

Technically it's a change of station, but given the two 'stations' are connected by a walkway, and it's only a couple of hundred metres, it's not much more than changing platforms.   

As for lunch, The Wellington pub (basically underneath Waterloo East Stn) serves an excellent ploughman's; that would be my choice. 

My only recommendation is that you really don't want to be on a train that leaves London (Waterloo) any later than perhaps 2:30p, as the afternoon rush will be starting to get underway.