Real ID

Donray

On 10/19/2019 at 12:03 PM, clo said:

I've met countless non-Americans who've never heard of Oregon (where we used to live).  So when asked where we lived  I eventually just started saying "north of California.'

Makes me think of my younger daughter - when she was resisting geography. She had a particular disdain for “places like Oregon”  - they all started with “O”, and she didn’t want to think about them: Oregon, Oswego, Omaha, Ohio, Oakland, Opeleika, Olean, Oklahoma, Oahu,  Ozarks: “all the O places” she liked Z - but why only Zanzibar? —- for a child who hated geography she knew a lot of place names (she’s now a teacher).

On 10/19/2019 at 4:12 PM, sailing canary said:

No we do need passports to fly to Spain/ Portugal. My point is it's not seen as a big deal to have a passport any more than having a driving licence.

same here  ..even if we fly in Canada  we use  passports as I.D.

but  US citizens  have different  rules  some never get passports

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Makes me think of my younger daughter - when she was resisting geography. She had a particular disdain for “places like Oregon”  - they all started with “O”, and she didn’t want to think about them: Oregon, Oswego, Omaha, Ohio, Oakland, Opeleika, Olean, Oklahoma, Oahu,  Ozarks: “all the O places” she liked Z - but why only Zanzibar? —- for a child who hated geography she knew a lot of place names (she’s now a teacher).

Further OT 🙂  When Trivial Pursuit was popular all anyone had to do at the end of the game was keep asking me geography questions and I would lose every time.  Still suck at it.  If I haven't been there.

12 hours ago, SRF said:

Because both Italy and Switzerland are Schengen states.

Train from France to UK would require ID check, as UK is not Schengen.

Thanks SRF.  It wasn't so much the passport as it was that we were never asked for train tickets.  

8 hours ago, clo said:

Further OT 🙂  When Trivial Pursuit was popular all anyone had to do at the end of the game was keep asking me geography questions and I would lose every time.  Still suck at it.  If I haven't been there.

I was like that then someone suggested  I download a geography quiz app. I was skeptical but I played it about once a day and it has completely improved my geography knowledge. I now always play the advance level🤗.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

Strange, my geography is pretty darn good.

But, mainly due to my job, I have been to 149 countries.  That may have a BIT to do with it. 😄

I'm not sure I knew there were that many countries!

It depends on how you count them.

According to this - https://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-are-there-in-the-world/ - 195.

There is a club in LA called the Century Club, where you have to have visited 100 countries to join, that counts 317 (IIRC).  But they count a lot of territories and colonies that are remote from the parent country.  Like say Tahiti.

The US maintains diplomatic relations with about 168 countries.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

Strange, my geography is pretty darn good.

But, mainly due to my job, I have been to 149 countries.  That may have a BIT to do with it. 😄

Well nothing beats first hand experience👍. While I have reached double digits I am not even half way to a hundred.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

It depends on how you count them.

It depends also what you consider a visit. I had a stopover visit of Helsinki but if you asked me I would never say "I have been to FInland". I feel like saying so would give a false impression of my travels. Same with Easter Island. I would never say I have been to Chile since I never set foot on the mainland

My rule is, if I officially enter the country, I count it.

So a transit in the airport does not count.

But I do count my 12+ hour layover in NZ.  I left the airport, went downtown, wandered around, had lunch, etc.  And I do count a couple of island nations in the Carib where I visited on a cruise.

But most of the ones I say I have visited, have been for several days or a week, sometimes more.