Real ID

Donray

10 hours ago, clo said:

I don't know the answer to this.  When one's driver's license is renewed is it required that one get a Real ID?

I know Vermont has offered an option to not have a REAL ID compliant license issued but not sure if it's still offered. I have to take DW to DMV Friday to renew her EDL and I'll see if they still offer it.

11 hours ago, clo said:

I don't know the answer to this.  When one's driver's license is renewed is it required that one get a Real ID?

I believe that is up to individual states.  In CT you are not required to get Real ID upon renewal - and, if you do opt for it, you have to provide documentation to prove citizenship and actual residence address.  A bit of a hassle - but not having Real ID could be a much larger hassle - having to show passport to fly domestically would be more. I have experienced TSA agents who did not recognize Global Entry  card as ID - makes you wonder about their training.

12 hours ago, clo said:

I'm currently living in Kansas, and it's definitely possible to get a non-Real ID if desired. My colleague never flies and never leaves the country, and she had no desire to get one...just renewed her DL a few months ago and chose a non-compliant DL. 

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A bit of a hassle - but not having Real ID could be a much larger hassle - having to show passport to fly domestically would be more.

That was my rationale.  I had to go in anyway (new photo time) so took my SS card and a couple of bills and that was that.

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

My colleague never flies and never leaves the country,

I don't try to live my life answering all the 'what-if's' but I wonder what would happen if there were a family emergency and she had to fly somewhere.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't try to live my life answering all the 'what-if's' but I wonder what would happen if there were a family emergency and she had to fly somewhere.

Hey, I agree. Especially since she has a sibling in Europe, and another in California. But... 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm currently living in Kansas, and it's definitely possible to get a non-Real ID if desired. My colleague never flies and never leaves the country, and she had no desire to get one...just renewed her DL a few months ago and chose a non-compliant DL. 

It does include flying, and that is the one most people talk about needing this for but you will need it to enter federal buildings that require ID to enter as well as military bases (nuclear power plants too, but that seems remote for most people). As I have relatives in the military, if I was to visit them on base I would need my passport OR the Real ID.

13 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

It does include flying, and that is the one most people talk about needing this for but you will need it to enter federal buildings that require ID to enter as well as military bases (nuclear power plants too, but that seems remote for most people). As I have relatives in the military, if I was to visit them on base I would need my passport OR the Real ID.

Should one assume that wouldn't apply to post offices, IRS, etc.?

Only applies to federal buildings that require ID to enter- so I am thinking federal courthouses, federal depository and such. This would include the IRS, but not the post office, no the VA hospital, nor benefits offices.

Edited by WisconsinFan

17 hours ago, clo said:

It depends on the state.

Some states (MD), are issuing ONLY REAL ID to those who qualify.

Other states, it is optional.  In those, I wonder how many people will be at an airport and not able to fly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I know Vermont has offered an option to not have a REAL ID compliant license issued but not sure if it's still offered. I have to take DW to DMV Friday to renew her EDL and I'll see if they still offer it.

They HAVE to offer it.  That is Federal law.

They don't have to make in mandatory, that is up to the state.

33 minutes ago, SRF said:

It depends on the state.

Some states (MD), are issuing ONLY REAL ID to those who qualify.

Other states, it is optional.  In those, I wonder how many people will be at an airport and not able to fly. 

How would they know if someone qualifies, if he does not show up with necessary docs —— unless you are saying that they only issue Real ID - so people who do not qualify are totally off the road?

20 hours ago, clo said:

In Pennsylvania, you have the option to get the Real ID or a regular license.  You pay more for the Real ID as I recall.

12 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

4 hours ago, SRF said:

They HAVE to offer it.  That is Federal law.

They don't have to make in mandatory, that is up to the state.

SRF. I believe you misread the above quote. They were talking about an option to NOT get it.

22 hours ago, clo said:

Our middle son renewed his NY driver's license last year and he didn't have all the documentation he needs for a Real ID, so he renewed a license that is stamped "Not for Federal purposes." . He was in college, and couldn't produce a tax bill or W-2. (In retrospect, he probably could have used a college transcript that showed residence, but hindsight is 20/20.🙂.) However, he has a passport and has had one since he was 4.

Now, older son - he has a military ID, regular passport, and military passport. I don't think Real ID is high on his list.😀

16 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Not sure how that is relevant here.

That was in reply to OP:

Do you know anyone that does not know that bu October 2020 you will need a REAL ID to fly or a passport? 

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Our local Seattle news just reported that nationally only 25% of people have gotten the Real ID and only about 50% have even heard of it.

I am not surprised.  The American public is far more interested in sports, popular music, new TV shows and such than in dreary practical things like this. 

And ..... they vote.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

And ..... they vote.

Far too many don't . In the hotly contested 2016 presidential election only about 55% of the voting-age population turned out, the lowest percentage in 20 years. https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/popular-vote-turnout-2016/index.html

Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Far too many don't . In the hotly contested 2016 presidential election only about 55% of the voting-age population turned out, the lowest percentage in 20 years. https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/popular-vote-turnout-2016/index.html

Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

Agreed — but what is really pathetic is the lack of attention to things more important than entertainment - shown by voters and non-voters alike.

The average US (potential) voter needs to feel a that a personal interest is at issue for him/her to get off his/her fat ass in front of the TV and vote — perhaps it is TV addiction at bottom:  without the cost of broadcasting to the entertainment-addicted electorate, there would not be the absurd fund-raiding focus - which leaves the winners obligated to repay donors. 

Just think:  if no radio or TV campaigning was allowed, people would have to get informed by reading (active) rather than TV (passive) or listening to debates - rather than to professional hucksters.

Just imagine: a government chosen by thinkers rather than by consumers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed — but what is really pathetic is the lack of attention to things more important than entertainment - shown by voters and non-voters alike.

The average US (potential) voter needs to feel a that a personal interest is at issue for him/her to get off his/her fat ass in front of the TV and vote — perhaps it is TV addiction at bottom:  without the cost of broadcasting to the entertainment-addicted electorate, there would not be the absurd fund-raiding focus - which leaves the winners obligated to repay donors. 

Just think:  if no radio or TV campaigning was allowed, people would have to get informed by reading (active) rather than TV (passive) or listening to debates - rather than to professional hucksters.

Just imagine: a government chosen by thinkers rather than by consumers.

I don't know, I've seen some of the stuff that was printed back in the day and one still had to contend with the bloviation and puffery and hyperbole (both in the media and the pamphlets published by the candidate's supporters). In any event when someone needs to renew their license they will find out (unless of course they don't read the material sent to them by their DMV, which is a real possibility).