alaskan trip

irish2005

Well you have 4 ships to choose from in 2020. One does one-way and the other 3 do RTs out of Seattle. So that's the first question. Do you want to fly in/out of Seattle or do you want to fly in/out of different ports? And on the same thoughts do you want to extend the trip and do an Alaskan land tour (this means you'd need to go on the one-way cruise)?

If the answers to those questions don't make the decision for you - the next is do you want 7 days or do you want a longer cruise? 

Assuming your question to all those questions isn't "I don't know" it will have likely narrowed your options down to where you can then look at ship differences and itinerary differences and research which one suits you best. 

Whatever you do, take a cruise to Alaska! I have taken two (both with Celebrity ) and they were just amazing.

If you can I would recommend visiting Vancouver Island too, I flew from Vancouver but you can get a ferry. I stayed in Campbell River and saw loads of bears and whales (on two separate trips) and got to tick off the bucket list of seeing bears catching salmon - just awesome.

Enjoy x

F2BA0DDE-CCA9-4CF1-8012-8CB843691348.jpeg

7EBE3512-63CB-4A7E-9BC4-08A6C38BB97F.jpeg

Edited by Deeliteful

3 hours ago, irish2005 said:

thinking about an alaskan cruise in august of next year. has anyone ever done that. so excited to start making plans but dont know where to start help please

Like said, you need to ask this question and read the thousands of Alaska posts in the Alaska forum. Try trip Advisor. The NCL forum  is the wrong place for this general Alaska question .

Edited by tallnthensome

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Well you have 4 ships to choose from in 2020. One does one-way and the other 3 do RTs out of Seattle. So that's the first question. Do you want to fly in/out of Seattle or do you want to fly in/out of different ports? And on the same thoughts do you want to extend the trip and do an Alaskan land tour (this means you'd need to go on the one-way cruise)?

If the answers to those questions don't make the decision for you - the next is do you want 7 days or do you want a longer cruise? 

Assuming your question to all those questions isn't "I don't know" it will have likely narrowed your options down to where you can then look at ship differences and itinerary differences and research which one suits you best. 

I must be misunderstanding your response because there are many more than 4 ships that cruise the Alaskan Waters in August of 2020.

In response to the OP I would suggest that you first read the cruise critic 2019 reviews. Based upon those you could list the places you would like to see. Also determine how many days you can spend on your trip allowing time to fly to the departure port at least 1 day prior to the day the ship sails. You may/or may not also need to fly home the day after you disembark from the ship due to airline schedules. Look at how much you are able to spend for the cruise. You can then determine whether you need to do a round trip cruise or can do a one way. Once these decisions have been made it should narrow down your choices. Then go back to your list of places to see and compare to the itinerary and port times for the ships remaining on your list. That at least becomes a more manageable task. Whatever you do and whichever ship you take you will have a wonderful time in Alaska.

12 minutes ago, cruisin0218 said:

I must be misunderstanding your response because there are many more than 4 ships that cruise the Alaskan Waters in August of 2020.

In response to the OP I would suggest that you first read the cruise critic 2019 reviews. Based upon those you could list the places you would like to see. Also determine how many days you can spend on your trip allowing time to fly to the departure port at least 1 day prior to the day the ship sails. You may/or may not also need to fly home the day after you disembark from the ship due to airline schedules. Look at how much you are able to spend for the cruise. You can then determine whether you need to do a round trip cruise or can do a one way. Once these decisions have been made it should narrow down your choices. Then go back to your list of places to see and compare to the itinerary and port times for the ships remaining on your list. That at least becomes a more manageable task. Whatever you do and whichever ship you take you will have a wonderful time in Alaska.

The post was originally on NCLs forum. Someone has apparently moved it to the Alaska forum hours after I posted. When I wrote my post I assumed they were looking at NCL cruises since it was on the NCL board and also didn't specify I was referring to NCL because it was self evident at the time.

Edited by smplybcause

12 hours ago, irish2005 said:

thinking about an alaskan cruise in august of next year. has anyone ever done that. so excited to start making plans but dont know where to start help please

In the library.  There are lots of books on AK cruising in the library.

DON

If we do all the work, can we join you on the cruise also?

You're thinking about an Alaskan cruise and want us to do all the work for you. You really need to do some homework and then come here and ask specific questions and people will be more than happy to answer. 

So a few suggestions, be prepared for rain or sun, warm or cool temperatures, one way or round trip, ship excursions or DIY, land tour and just the cruise, which cruise lines you feel more comfortable with and the list just goes on and on. 

Cheers

Len