Dog bite on board

rugerdog

Has anyone heard of a passenger being bitten by a dog whilst on board a cruise?  I'm wondering how that should be handled, and who would be "in charge" of reporting it, and to whom.  I know there are specific dog bite laws in the US on land, but who handles it at sea?  

I've heard lots of opinions and guesses, but haven't been able to determine any facts.

I have not heard of anyone being bitten.

If so, it should immediately be brought to the attention of Security, Medical and the Captain. In that order.

I would also: Ask witnesses to please stay until statements are taken. If they can't/won't stay, get their names and cabin numbers. Ask for their card to verify. Note any security cameras in the area. Take pictures of the wound, the dog, etc.

I would recommend staying clear of dogs on ships. First, they should be service animals which are not to interact with other passengers. They are working, period. Second, if you find you just have to pet that dog - always ask the owner first if you can approach their animal. Then proceed slowly yet with confidence. Extend the back of one hand to their (the dog's) nose so they can sniff you from about 6" away.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 3

A dog who bites is not a service dog and should pose a liability to the cruiseline.

I have seen too many “FiFi’s” all dressed up in their little outfits, being pushed in strollers because they were allowed on the ship as emotional support animals.  I have watched some of these same dogs relieve themselves on the promenade as their owners just walk away and heard them in cabins barking because they were left alone.

IMO....unless it is a true, licensed “service” animal it should NOT be allowed onboard!!  Thank goodness the cruise lines are finally cracking down on some of these offenders!

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 5

Thanks for your responses.

Security report was done.  Medical exam and report was done.   Witness reports were made.  This was not the result of an intentional interaction with the animal.  

The cruise is over and the cruise line has yet to provide copies of these reports despite repeated requests. 

Since this happened "at sea", I'm interested in what agency has jurisdiction regarding the dog bite being reported.

I would not have gotten off the ship without copies. I'm sorry this happened to you. Do you mind providing details of what happened? I also have a few questions for my own curiosity...1) was the dog leashed? 2) was the dog on the floor? 

You probably need to find a Maritime Attorney to handle your case, if that is the route you need to go.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

What cruise line?

Usually there is some info in the Ticket contract  on who to contact for accidents onboard  so might try them

Also curious  why  a dog would bite someone  usually trained service dogs  do not do that

a pet disguised   as a service dog  may  however be another story

The other issue is whether this dog has bitten before.  Presuming that the owner was an American, or at least from the U.S., a dog's first bite is free (so to speak) and the owner is liable for all bites after that.  The theory being that the first time, the owner did not know the dog was a biter, and that he/she knows and is liable -- at least in most states.  If the injury was serious, it might warrant further investigation.  Otherwise, a sad episode and an owner who should not be allowed to bring the animal back on any ship.  Emotional support animal or not, if it is a biter, then it does not belong on a crowded ship.

Good luck, and I hope a) that the bite was not serious, and b) that you do not hold this one dog's actions against all dogs.  After all, the good Lord was only practicing when he made humans, but perfected his work when he made dogs.  At least that's my opinion.  We lost the little guy who is in my picture just this past July after 16-1/2 years, and our hearts are still broken.

8 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

Since this happened "at sea", I'm interested in what agency has jurisdiction regarding the dog bite being reported.

Even if the ship is in port, and even in a US port, unless the incident affected the "safety or well being" of the port, then the jurisdiction lies with the "flag state" (the nation where the ship is registered).  There are also instances where a nation exerts "extraterritorial jurisdiction" over incidents, such as the US claiming jurisdiction on foreign ships, in international waters, for cases of theft or major crimes (assault, rape, murder).  So, as this did happen at sea, then the laws of whatever nation (Bahamas, Panama, Malta, Bermuda, etc) the ship is registered in will apply.  As noted, in the cruise contract, there is verbiage regarding what civil suits can be brought against the line, and for what reasons, and in what jurisdiction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I would not have gotten off the ship without copies. I'm sorry this happened to you. Do you mind providing details of what happened? I also have a few questions for my own curiosity...1) was the dog leashed? 2) was the dog on the floor? 

Jenny, I sent you a message through your blog  😊

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bbwex said:

Good luck, and I hope a) that the bite was not serious, and b) that you do not hold this one dog's actions against all dogs.  After all, the good Lord was only practicing when he made humans, but perfected his work when he made dogs.  At least that's my opinion.  We lost the little guy who is in my picture just this past July after 16-1/2 years, and our hearts are still broken.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I am a massive animal lover.  I'm too embarrassed to even list how many animals I have (or who have me).  😉

• Like 2

Service dogs know that they are working whenever they have their harness on. You should never pet a working dog. The only time they will not have a harness on is in their stateroom or a special demo for passengers. Years ago I was on a cruise with about 10 blind passengers and dogs. There was a demonstration for the passengers in a lounge. When their harness was taken off they were able to interact and were very friendly. With 10 dogs there was not a single incident.

2 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Service dogs know that they are working whenever they have their harness on. You should never pet a working dog. The only time they will not have a harness on is in their stateroom or a special demo for passengers. Years ago I was on a cruise with about 10 blind passengers and dogs. There was a demonstration for the passengers in a lounge. When their harness was taken off they were able to interact and were very friendly. With 10 dogs there was not a single incident.

Not all service dogs wear a harness or vest, yet they know when they are working, and when they are not.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not all service dogs wear a harness or vest, yet they know when they are working, and when they are not.

I was just referring to the 10 dogs that were working for the 10 blind passengers. I can not say that I have ever seen other animals on board.

Edited by denmarks

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

What cruise line?

Usually there is some info in the Ticket contract  on who to contact for accidents onboard  so might try them

Also curious  why  a dog would bite someone  usually trained service dogs  do not do that

a pet disguised   as a service dog  may  however be another story

More and more businesses including cruise lines are no longer allowing ESAs, just real service animals.

OMG, sorry to hear, real service dog.  I spend way to much time in airplanes and airports and the propensity for all sorts of dogs showing up in the past few years is a bit shocking and sad.  

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

OMG, sorry to hear, real service dog.  I spend way to much time in airplanes and airports and the propensity for all sorts of dogs showing up in the past few years is a bit shocking and sad.  

I see way, WAY too many people abusing the rule in order to take their pet wherever they want.  And as you can tell from my avatar I have a dog.  You can buy vests for them that say "service animal.'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@GTO-Girl Service dogs are not "licensed". There is no ONE formal process for vetting a service dog.

But you know there is a difference in a “working service” dog and an untrained pet that was brought onboard under false pretenses!

In addition to seeing an animal urinate and poop in the promenade I have also seen them brought into the dining room and fed from the table.  These are in no way shape or form “working” animals.  They are pets who just couldn’t be left at home by their owners!

As I said thankfully the cruise lines are finally cracking down on these offenders so we are seeing less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

But you know there is a difference in a “working service” dog and an untrained pet that was brought onboard under false pretenses!

In addition to seeing an animal urinate and poop in the promenade I have also seen them brought into the dining room and fed from the table.  These are in no way shape or form “working” animals.  They are pets who just couldn’t be left at home by their owners!

As I said thankfully the cruise lines are finally cracking down on these offenders so we are seeing less. 

This is true.  There is a highly visible Diamond cruiser who carts around Yippee McBitey in her scooter basket claiming it is a service dog as she feeds it off her plate.  It is cheaper to bring the animal than board it.

4 hours ago, denmarks said:

Didn't happen to be on a Carnival Freedom was it? 

4 hours ago, denmarks said:

It is pretty hard for the average person to understand proper service animal etiquette when social media is flooded with faux service dogs posing with characters, flight crews, dressed in attention seeking attire.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

This is true.  There is a highly visible Diamond cruiser who carts around Yippee McBitey in her scooter basket claiming it is a service dog as she feeds it off her plate.  It is cheaper to bring the animal than board it.

Does no one report this?

27 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is pretty hard for the average person to understand proper service animal etiquette when social media is flooded with faux service dogs posing with characters, flight crews, dressed in attention seeking attire.

Just an anecdote.  We were at a local, casual place for lunch.  There was a guide dog for the blind in training with a couple.  I stopped and congratulated them for doing that.  I asked if I could pet him and they said no that he was working.  All of us were polite and totally understanding.