Dog bite on board

rugerdog

16 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I agree that their needs to be some kind of documentation for service dogs.  I think it should be similar to handicap license plates.  Unfortunantely many advocacy groups and those who train service dogs feel that by having some type of registration would be against the privacy rights of those with service dogs - meaning people would be able to see that they have some type of disability.  I disagree, because if someone has a service dog, it is pretty obvious that they have a disability otherwise they wouldn't have a service dog.

There are states that have laws about falsely claiming a dog is a service dog when they are not.  Problem is how do you root these fakers out.

Exactly, they can’t get by the requirement that you can’t ask for documentation since that’s in the Federal law. Problem with the privacy is it runs afoul of the HIPPA laws which can be quite restrictive.

Edited by dkjretired

Before this became about service animals the original question was

Does anyone know of anyone bit by a dog onboard, and if so how was it handled. It was followed by security and medical services responses which were on-topic. But unless I missed it there were no responses that answered to original question.

Just curious

16 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I agree that their needs to be some kind of documentation for service dogs.  I think it should be similar to handicap license plates.  Unfortunantely many advocacy groups and those who train service dogs feel that by having some type of registration would be against the privacy rights of those with service dogs - meaning people would be able to see that they have some type of disability.  I disagree, because if someone has a service dog, it is pretty obvious that they have a disability otherwise they wouldn't have a service dog.

There are states that have laws about falsely claiming a dog is a service dog when they are not.  Problem is how do you root these fakers out.

Can be fairly simple... you claim the dog is trained to alert for dietetic emergencies or seizures (the two most common fraudulent claims) .. show your associated medications.  

45 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Exactly, they can’t get by the requirement that you can’t ask for documentation since that’s in the Federal law. Problem with the privacy is it runs afoul of the HIPPA laws which can be quite restrictive.

HIPAA only applies to medical billing relationships.  This falls under the ADA. 

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Can be fairly simple... you claim the dog is trained to alert for dietetic emergencies or seizures (the two most common fraudulent claims) .. show your associated medications.  

That would be a massive privacy invasion. Epileptics don't carry meds around with them, they take them once or twice a day.  

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

I'm sure they can get around HIPPA, just as they do with handicap license plates.

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

HIPAA only applies to medical billing relationships.  This falls under the ADA. 

I know it’s under Ada but HIPPA is not just for billing, it is far ranging and covers conversations. Both my wife and son are EMTs and get during their training extensive classes on HIPPA. It covers what they can and cannot say but doesn’t only apply to them.

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:

That would be a massive privacy invasion. Epileptics don't carry meds around with them, they take them once or twice a day.  

Yup, only allowed to ask is the animal a service animal and what service does it provide. Asking for proof in any form is against the law.

9 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I know it’s under Ada but HIPPA is not just for billing, it is far ranging and covers conversations. Both my wife and son are EMTs and get during their training extensive classes on HIPPA. It covers what they can and cannot say but doesn’t only apply to them.

That is because the work they do is billed to insurance companies so it is covered (whether the insurance pays is not a factor).  But like a school nurse who treats students and no billing is ever done, HIPAA does not apply, other school or professional polices may apply but not HIPPA

23 minutes ago, ducklite said:

12 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Yup, only allowed to ask is the animal a service animal and what service does it provide. Asking for proof in any form is against the law.

I am more than aware of what it can and can't do but the response was regarding certification.  PEOPLE who have a seizure disorder most always have emergency identification and yeah, those individuals with a seizure disorder may carry emergency medication.  Point is, people with an actual seizure disorder can easily provide proof.

15 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I am more than aware of what it can and can't do but the response was regarding certification.  PEOPLE who have a seizure disorder most always have emergency identification and yeah, those individuals with a seizure disorder may carry emergency medication.  Point is, people with an actual seizure disorder can easily provide proof.

But when asked by someone at a hotel or restaurant, they are not required.  Treating someone who’s sick is a different story. Apples and Oranges.

You are wrong about HIPPA, my wife and Son have nothing to do with billing.  It covers verbal conversations also.  Technically, they can’t come home and tell me anything about their patient, it is quite restrictive.

Edited by dkjretired

Neither cost nor privacy concerns are legit. 

Under the current law you are only allowed to have a service dog if you have a documented disability and a dog specifically trained. 

There is no need for the permit authorizing the dog to state the exact disability.  Just like handicap licence plates don't state the exact nature of the disability, just that you have a disability that justifies the use of a handicap parking place.    

To get permit send to the ADA office the following:  Documentation of the disability.  (which you would have when the doctor diagnosed the disability  and if this didn't happen and you self diagnosed the disability  then you are abusing the system)  And document from the trainer that trained the dog.  (a specifically trained dog is a requirement, the training might be expensive but the training is required and no reputable trainer is going to charge extra for a letter stating they conducted the training.)

The permit simply states the name of the person and a description of the dog.  No mention of the specific disability.   

If you have a dog that you claim is allowed under ADA you are already volunteering the information that you have a disability. 

The truly disabled are not opposed to this.  The pet owners pretending that they are disabled are the ones who oppose this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

Before this became about service animals the original question was

Does anyone know of anyone bit by a dog onboard, and if so how was it handled. It was followed by security and medical services responses which were on-topic. But unless I missed it there were no responses that answered to original question.

Just curious

And you will notice everyone is ignoring your post. This has become increasingly annoying on these boards. Discussing everything but cruising or the original post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.  It is United States legislation that provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information.

It's HIPAA. I think the previous poster was just being snarky.

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

Neither cost nor privacy concerns are legit. 

Under the current law you are only allowed to have a service dog if you have a documented disability and a dog specifically trained. 

There is no need for the permit authorizing the dog to state the exact disability.  Just like handicap licence plates don't state the exact nature of the disability, just that you have a disability that justifies the use of a handicap parking place.    

To get permit send to the ADA office the following:  Documentation of the disability.  (which you would have when the doctor diagnosed the disability  and if this didn't happen and you self diagnosed the disability  then you are abusing the system)  And document from the trainer that trained the dog.  (a specifically trained dog is a requirement, the training might be expensive but the training is required and no reputable trainer is going to charge extra for a letter stating they conducted the training.)

The permit simply states the name of the person and a description of the dog.  No mention of the specific disability.   

If you have a dog that you claim is allowed under ADA you are already volunteering the information that you have a disability. 

The truly disabled are not opposed to this.  The pet owners pretending that they are disabled are the ones who oppose this. 

There is no such registration in the US, might be a voluntary thing but it is not mandatory and unfortunately it is not needed to go somewhere with a service animal.  Anyone can take their dog, walk up to a restaurant and say its a service animal and they cannot be denied entry.  What happens inside could be a different story.   That's the problem many of us believe exists with the law. 

Edited by dkjretired

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

There is no such registration in the US, might be a voluntary thing but it is not mandatory and unfortunately it is not needed to go somewhere with a service animal.  

I know.

What I posted was what needs to be done to fix the problem of people bring pets into stores, restaurants, cruises, flights,  etc.

7 hours ago, dkjretired said:

But when asked by someone at a hotel or restaurant, they are not required.  Treating someone who’s sick is a different story. Apples and Oranges.

You are wrong about HIPPA, my wife and Son have nothing to do with billing.  It covers verbal conversations also.  Technically, they can’t come home and tell me anything about their patient, it is quite restrictive.

No I am not.  Your wife and son are providing a service which is billable to medical insurance companies thus involves HIPAA.  Legally, they can't discuss medical information regarding patients.  If they were providing free medical care, professional ethics prevents them from discussing patients but not HIPAA 

8 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I'm sure they can get around HIPPA, just as they do with handicap license plates.

7 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.  It is United States legislation that provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act is HIPAA

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I had a seizure disorder as a child and teen.  I did not carry emergency identification and only carried medication if I knew I would not be home for my next dose.  I always had a warning before a seizure and no need for a dog, but I would not have wanted to disclose my seizure disorder to strangers and even some people I knew.  With so many misconceptions, you don't know what the reaction will be.  I don't feel anyone should be required to prove they have a seizure disorder or prove any disability.  As far as dogs, maybe they should be licensed to prove they are a service dog, but no one should have the right to demand another should disclose what their disability is or why they need the dog.  

• Like 2