Independent northern lights tours.

Chez2

Hi we’re going up to the northern lights in November. Our cruise has 2 lots of tours going out from the ship for £85. They are completely booked already. 

‘’So my question is will there be any independent trips on the day when we get off ship (like say Rome or the Caribbean) I don’t really want to book an independent now as the weather might not be good.  

We we have a night in narvik too. 

‘Thanks for any info 

Not that many tour provides - do not know which port.

Since the highlight of your cruise is Norther Lights I would book a tour - likely to sell out.

If the weather will be very bad, they will cancel the tour - otherwise those tour operators are quite good in finding spots with clear skies. 

Northern Lights are never guaranteed- might be a day wi( low activity.

You might also be lucky to see the lights from the ship - I did a cruise and saw the lights three times when sailing - picture from the bow of the ship when sailing.

8BE7BD69-1AE5-4371-B58A-FA75DDE16E5E.png

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, Chez2 said:

So my question is will there be any independent trips on the day when we get off ship (like say Rome or the Caribbean) I don’t really want to book an independent now as the weather might not be good.

You definitely won't find a bunch of tour operators hanging around the dock looking for cruise passengers. Otherwise, the number and availability will vary a lot based on which ports you're visiting. In some popular Northern Lights destinations, you may be able to find some from the local tourist info on the day, but it's not a guarantee.

However, the style of Northern Lights tours vary a lot. There are big bus tours, small van tours, Arctic outdoor camps, etc... As mentioned above, the best Northern Lights tours will cancel themselves if the weather is hopeless. But several also keep active tabs on the weather and know of places nearby that can have clearer skies due to microclimates.

I would definitely look into booking something in advance and checking their bad-weather policies.

But keep in mind that even with a tour, it's still not a given that you will see them. First and foremost, you need a clear patch of sky. But even on a clear day with an especially high KP index, there's no guarantee. I've been out hunting on a night with an extremely high KP index, and our guide found a clear spot. But we just didn't get lucky. Another time we were just wandering around town in Tromsø, and there they were, strong enough to be seen over the city lights. You just never know.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:12 AM, hallasm said:

Not that many tour provides - do not know which port.

Since the highlight of your cruise is Norther Lights I would book a tour - likely to sell out.

If the weather will be very bad, they will cancel the tour - otherwise those tour operators are quite good in finding spots with clear skies. 

Northern Lights are never guaranteed- might be a day wi( low activity.

You might also be lucky to see the lights from the ship - I did a cruise and saw the lights three times when sailing - picture from the bow of the ship when sailing.

8BE7BD69-1AE5-4371-B58A-FA75DDE16E5E.png

Thanks you so much for responding to my question, sorry not had chance to get online for the last few days.  We are going to both tromso and narvik, stopping 1 night in each place.  I am assuming tromso will be a better place to see them as it is a little highier up the coast.    It would be great if we could see them from the ship like you did, you was very lucky.  Was it a long display you saw. what time of year did you go.  

On 10/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, kaisatsu said:

You definitely won't find a bunch of tour operators hanging around the dock looking for cruise passengers. Otherwise, the number and availability will vary a lot based on which ports you're visiting. In some popular Northern Lights destinations, you may be able to find some from the local tourist info on the day, but it's not a guarantee.

However, the style of Northern Lights tours vary a lot. There are big bus tours, small van tours, Arctic outdoor camps, etc... As mentioned above, the best Northern Lights tours will cancel themselves if the weather is hopeless. But several also keep active tabs on the weather and know of places nearby that can have clearer skies due to microclimates.

I would definitely look into booking something in advance and checking their bad-weather policies.

But keep in mind that even with a tour, it's still not a given that you will see them. First and foremost, you need a clear patch of sky. But even on a clear day with an especially high KP index, there's no guarantee. I've been out hunting on a night with an extremely high KP index, and our guide found a clear spot. But we just didn't get lucky. Another time we were just wandering around town in Tromsø, and there they were, strong enough to be seen over the city lights. You just never know.

Thank you for all the information you have given me, it is of great help.  I am looking at the big bus tour, says its a 5 min walk from the port.  I did see one that offered a £50 back if they didnt see the lights.  That must have been very special when they just appeared over tromso.   What time of year did you go.  x

We have only done norway in the summer before.

31 minutes ago, angie7911922 said:

I am so jealous. This is still on my bucket list.

I do know about the info page http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/ good luck!

Angie, I hope you get to tick this item off your bucket list.  We did a cruise that did 3 stops in iceland, and then several stops in norway.  We went to the blue lagoon, that would be a perfect place to see the lights, sat in a 40 degree hot spring.  Unfortunately it was day time for us, but still worth going.

Thank you for the above link, I will be having a daily look at that I'm sure a few weeks before we go  x

5 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Was it a long display you saw. what time of year did you go.  

I did sail in January - in fact the solar activity (KP index) is highest in October and March - hence the best months for Northern Lights - March might be best because less clouds.  However possible to see northern lights from late September to beginning of April.

We did see beautiful lights at Lofoten (close to Narvik)  and then north of Tromsø - do not believe there will be much difference between Tromsø and Narvik. The lights are visible at the sky - not necessary by the sea.

Links to page with some pictures

At our sailing January 2019 the lights were visible at Lofoten from 9:00 pm in 40 minutes while we were approaching and docked in Svolvær. Pictures below.

Again for 40 minutes two hours later (11pm) when sailing in the northern part of Raftsundet along Hinnøya. 

Also one days later for 45 minutes when we approached Berlevåg at 10 pm

Two days later Northern lights were visible again for 20 minutes at 9 pm in Kirkenes.

Link to review of my cruise

pjimage.jpg

22 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Angie, I hope you get to tick this item off your bucket list.  We did a cruise that did 3 stops in iceland, and then several stops in norway.  We went to the blue lagoon, that would be a perfect place to see the lights, sat in a 40 degree hot spring.  Unfortunately it was day time for us, but still worth going.

Thank you for the above link, I will be having a daily look at that I'm sure a few weeks before we go  x

Thank you!! I am sure I will see it once in my lifetime. Last time we were on our Alaska trip I kept an eye on that link and I know it's almost impossible to see during late summer in Alaska, but I never gave up hope. A few nights I sat on the balcony with a blanket and a glass of wine... never saw it.... 

But I will definitely book a trip to make sure to see them! Let me know how it went please!