Best Western Hotel Canada in Rome

FLKrewzer

We stayed there about four years ago, and it was clean, very comfortable and friendly.  It’s a fairly student-y part of Rome, so prices in restaurants are cheaper than in the touristy bits.  It’s also further from the usual sights that everyone wants to see, so you should factor in the extra bus or Metro fare and time to get into the centre.  We’d happily stay there again, because we liked being close to the bus stop that would take us back to Le Marche where we live for part of the year, and we didn’t mind the extra distance, but you may have different circumstances.

Thanks for the info about the distance to sights.  I understand the hotel is close to the train station - and that is a HOHO bus stop.  I’m hoping to use this for a loop to briefly see the sights, then hop off at Colosseum and Forum and spend some time there.

It sounds like the hotel is further away from all the sights, but I think we can make it work!

We stayed there in 2017 for 2 nights and it was wonderful and charming. We are staying again in 2 weeks this time for 6 nights. Not too far from the main train station and 2 metro stations.

The breakfast is wonderful!

MrGame101 

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!  6 Nights!!  Lucky you!!!

If you get a chance to check in again when you  get back,  I’d love to hear anything else you’d like to share about HotelCanada.  

Did you find it the same as your last visit 2 years ago?

What was the weather like?

Did you happen to notice if the HOHO bus stop was close to Termini station?

Did you enjoy any restaurants within close walking distance?

Thank you for your previous post. 

(Looking forward to your update when you return, if possible)

We stayed there several years ago,  nice hotel.  But very far from anything and the area around Termini is unpleasant.  We now stay nearer Campo di Fiori in a Great area for walking and waste o time or money on public transport.  

17 hours ago, bennybear said:

We stayed there several years ago,  nice hotel.  But very far from anything and the area around Termini is unpleasant.  We now stay nearer Campo di Fiori in a Great area for walking and waste o time or money on public transport.  

I still think it has some advantages.  I feel like we got more hotel for our money than we would have in a more central location.  We found the hotel was just far enough from Termini to avoid the unsavouriness, which is mostly late at night.  If we took the Metro, we could really avoid Termini altogether.  The restaurants nearest the hotel were full of local people and students rather than tourists, so prices were pretty low for Rome, and the food was good.

It wasn’t so good for an evening passeggiata and gelato - that’s where Piazza Navona or Trastevere win hands down.  But if you’re wearing yourself out sightseeing during the day, it’s a great place to sleep and recoup.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, FLKrewzer said:

MrGame101 

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!  6 Nights!!  Lucky you!!!

If you get a chance to check in again when you  get back,  I’d love to hear anything else you’d like to share about HotelCanada.  

Did you find it the same as your last visit 2 years ago?

What was the weather like?

Did you happen to notice if the HOHO bus stop was close to Termini station?

Did you enjoy any restaurants within close walking distance?

Thank you for your previous post. 

(Looking forward to your update when you return, if possible)

Hello!

Yes I forsure will let you know. We have had some communication with the hotel - specifically requesting the same exact room as we liked the location, and needing to extend our stay arriving earlier and the responses have been prompt.

Thank you, lisamic, for your added comments.  I love the idea of nearby restaurants full of locals. That’s always a good sign!  

mrgame101 - Enjoy your vacation!  Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return. Safe travels!!

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 9:26 PM, FLKrewzer said:

Thank you, lisamic, for your added comments.  I love the idea of nearby restaurants full of locals. That’s always a good sign!  

mrgame101 - Enjoy your vacation!  Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return. Safe travels!!

Good Afternoon!

Sorry for the delay- I did not want to type much on my phone screen on the ship. We returned home Monday from our cruise.

Our 6 night stay at the Hotel Canada was wonderful. Our communication with them pre cruise and requesting a specific room was honored. We arrived around 930AM and they did have our room ready for us.

The hotel was exactly as it was the 2 years previous. Well kept and maintained and all the staff were professional and any request that we had was met. I do know they have several room categories we opted for the deluxe and felt that it provided a bit more room. The breakfast is excellent to get the day started. You are close to bus stops and 2 metro stations within easy walking distance.

There is a gelato shop that is less than 150M from the hotel that was amazing and yes tons of local restaurants nearby.

Any questions please feel free to ask! 

Mrgame101,

So Happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Hotel Canada. That really says a lot about the hotel that it was up to the same standards. 

I do have a few questions - when you get a chance!

How did you communicate with them pre-cruise?  

What area or location would you recommend for room location?

Did you have to make reservations for the breakfast ahead of time or can you just show up?  What was the cost?

How did you get to/from cruise port to hotel?

Any additional tips/info would be greatly appreciated because I just made my reservations!!!

Grazie!! 

I am posting this from the hotel right now.  We stayed here 3 years ago and liked it enough to return for 4 nights pre- cruise.  It is as delightful then as it was now.  We were in a standard room then and upgraded to a deluxe now.  I believe the lovely breakfast was included in our rate.  Yes, it probably is not as convenient to many tourist sites, but we have found taxi rates to be quite reasonable.  For us, the positives far outweigh the location issue.

Have discovered many restaurants 1 to 5 minutes away.  The hotel has just started offering dinner service downstairs.  A limited menu, but, for us, good.  

Do not miss the very reasonably priced drinks at the downstairs bar, with complimentary snacks.

Very pleasant, professional, helpful staff.  Will book here for our next trip.

Not in a prime tourist area, so restaurants cater to locals and the prices reflect that.

A few minute walk to the supermarket - bought local wine for 2 and 4 Euros per bottle.

A very pleasant walk this morning to the Basilica Santa Maria.

Have walked around the Termini area - not the most pleasant area but, for us, in the daytime, felt safe.  My biggest fear was getting knocked over by one of the tourists lugging a super-sized suitcase.

Hope I don't sound like a shill for the hotel - I am just a very satisfied customer.  Judging from the several couples I have chatted with at the bar area, they are happy too.  I like the combination of new world comforts and old world charm.

Marion

• Like 1

We too enjoyed the hotel itself just not the location.   But for us always spending a lot of time getting to areas of interest was not worth it.  The last few trips we stay in the heart of Rome and can walk anywhere, safely right outside our door.  For us the ease is so worth it, and the cost not much different.  

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We too enjoyed the hotel itself just not the location.   But for us always spending a lot of time getting to areas of interest was not worth it.  The last few trips we stay in the heart of Rome and can walk anywhere, safely right outside our door.  For us the ease is so worth it, and the cost not much different.  

This exactly.

No shade on the Hotel Canada. But it's not difficult to find hotels with similar attributes, e.g. "new world comforts and old world charm" that are closer to the historic center and more pleasantly located.

IMHO, Termini is a location best for someone who may have only a single night in Rome between arriving at the airport and then taking the train somewhere else the next day.