Immunizations

dancingthewaltz

I travel internationally for work a lot.  To many countries you would not visit as a tourist.

I get vaccinated for anything they will give me a vaccination for.

Check on the CDC web page for advice.  Also, if you have a travel medicine clinic nearby, check with them.  They specialize in this.

Typically Hepatitis A and B are suggested for everyone.  Typhoid vaccination is common for international travel.

And if you have not had one recently, a Tetanus would be good.  Typically as DPT, combination.

• Like 2

It would be helpful if you mentioned where you are traveling.  While routine immunizations including both of the Heps and TDaP should be maintained for everyone, travelers or not, the use of things like Typhoid and Yellow Fever are more destination specific.

If your doctor has recommended those immunizations, then I suggest you seriously consider doing so. You don't mention where your cruise is going,  so it's difficult to say more. You can check the CDC for recommended vaccinations for each country you will be visiting. Since you are Canadian,  you might also check out this government website which includes various health and safety recommendations for individual countries,  among other things :  https://travel.gc.ca/travelling

To answer your question about the diseases you specifically mentioned- no, fortunately we have never had them. And yes, we maintain current immunizations for both,  since we travel to areas where both can be a problem.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:13 PM, dancingthewaltz said:

My doctor suggested I immunize against Typhoid and stomach issues resulting in diarrhea.   Has anyone experienced these things, or know someone who has?

Have any of been immunized against these?

Thanks for your input.

June

Most North American cruise passengers will consider required vaccinations made by the various countries involved.  There are very, very few of these (often none) in Caribbean ports so many sail without any shots.

Some consider the recommendation of their physician.  It's a choice you will have to make.

Edited by thinfool

4 hours ago, wheezedr said:

It would be helpful if you mentioned where you are traveling.  While routine immunizations including both of the Heps and TDaP should be maintained for everyone, travelers or not, the use of things like Typhoid and Yellow Fever are more destination specific

I posted my immunization question on what I thought was our particular ship, but obviously I didn't.  Thank you all.  We are travelling on the Majestic Princess on the 18 of Oct to the South Pacific - Vanatu, Fiji and a couple of others in that region.. I've gotten Hep 1 and 2 but wondered if the Typhoid was really necessary and was looking to the experience of those of you out there that may be more extensive travellers.  This part of the world is new to me. 

June

Toronto

2 hours ago, dancingthewaltz said:

I posted my immunization question on what I thought was our particular ship, but obviously I didn't.  Thank you all.  We are travelling on the Majestic Princess on the 18 of Oct to the South Pacific - Vanatu, Fiji and a couple of others in that region.. I've gotten Hep 1 and 2 but wondered if the Typhoid was really necessary and was looking to the experience of those of you out there that may be more extensive travellers.  This part of the world is new to me. 

June

Toronto

Check the link posted above for  required immunizations for each Country

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/vanuatu

You could visit a travel Clinic  near you

www.iamat.org  is also a good source of  information

I’ve done a typhoid vaccine. Be aware that that vaccine doesn’t last very long so yes, it’s going to be a very trip specific vaccine. There’s a shot or series of pills. The shot lasts 2 years I believe and the pills last 5. I got the pills because a. they were cheaper (my insurance wouldn’t cover travel related vaccines) and b. Since they lasted longer and I planned to go to Asia in the next few years so hoped it would be good for both trips.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:13 AM, dancingthewaltz said:

My doctor suggested I immunize against Typhoid and stomach issues resulting in diarrhea.   Has anyone experienced these things, or know someone who has?

I've never heard of any vaccine for general "stomach issues resulting in diarrhea." Typhoid is one kind of infection that can cause diarrhea and has a vaccine, but there is no vaccine for other potential food borne bugs like e-coli and salmonella. 

I have had Typhoid vaccine for land trips in countries where it is recommended by CDC. When I've taken it, I've taken the oral version for the same reason as Sanger - it lasts 5 years rather than 2 for the shot so has more chance to cover multiple trips.

You still have to be careful to eat in places that look like they have good hygiene, avoid raw foods and untreated water, etc because Typhoid isn't the only risk. Just like you have to do what you can to avoid mosquito bites where that applies even if taking anti-malarial drugs because mosquitoes can carry other things like Dengue fever. Also, you need to be aware about what you eat because Typhoid vaccine is only moderately effective (estimated 50 to 80%). 

I probably wouldn't take Typhoid vaccine for a cruise where most food and drink will be consumed on the ship. If your doctor has some reason why you should be particularly taking it, if you plan to eat a lot of street food or if you will be doing a stay on land in addition to the cruise, you might want to get it. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, dancingthewaltz said:

As someone who has travelled around the South Pacific I have never had a Typhoid vaccine ever recommended to me so I am surprised your doctor would recommend it especially for a cruise itinerary which I highly doubt would be visiting any really remote islands. I have to say from experience when it comes to travel, doctors are not always up to date on what vaccines are needed in each country. Sometimes these things are complicated by regions like in Peru you only need the Yellow Fever vaccine when visiting the Amazon region not Machu Picchu and yet doctors will still recommend it despite even the Peruvian government saying you don't need it. I would get a second opinion and do a Google search of each island you are visiting and what vaccines are recommended, check that it is not related to specific circumstances that you are not going to encounter. See what the consensus is and go with the majority.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

As someone who has travelled around the South Pacific I have never had a Typhoid vaccine ever recommended to me so I am surprised your doctor would recommend it especially for a cruise itinerary which I highly doubt would be visiting any really remote islands. I have to say from experience when it comes to travel, doctors are not always up to date on what vaccines are needed in each country. Sometimes these things are complicated by regions like in Peru you only need the Yellow Fever vaccine when visiting the Amazon region not Machu Picchu and yet doctors will still recommend it despite even the Peruvian government saying you don't need it. I would get a second opinion and do a Google search of each island you are visiting and what vaccines are recommended, check that it is not related to specific circumstances that you are not going to encounter. See what the consensus is and go with the majority.

Thank you everyone for your input.  Yes, I finally did go to each country's website and there is nothing about Typhoid.  I've also decided not to get the Dukoral.  This has been a good education. 

I'm hoping some of you are on the Majestic Princess so I can meet you at the Meet and Greet.  Only seven more sleeps!

June

Edited by dancingthewaltz
I realized not all these folks are on my ship, if any.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Interesting, I wonder if it is available in the US.

It seems it works, but is not that effective.  Maybe 2 years, and only 60% effective the second year.

There's a cholera vaccine available similar to Ducoral, but hard to find. I've been pestering my doctor for it and while we both agree that I'd be a great candidate (when I get GI sicknesses, I get very, very sick and I stay sick for a very, very long time) she can't order just one dose and there aren't enough people in the practice to use up the rest. 

I did find it in the travel clinic back home for $250 + the visit fee, so maybe next summer?

3 hours ago, dancingthewaltz said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  Yes, I finally did go to each country's website and there is nothing about Typhoid.  I've also decided not to get the Dukoral.  This has been a good education. 

I'm hoping some of you are on the Majestic Princess so I can meet you at the Meet and Greet.  Only seven more sleep!

Enjoy your trip!

For the benefit of other readers or other trips, a week or two before travel is rather late to start considering what vaccines to get.  There is usually some delay between vaccination and effective protection. 

For example, the CDC website says the typhoid immunization should be taken two weeks to before travel. If using the oral vaccine, it needs a week after the last dose and the doses are spread over 7 days so it is also 2 weeks from when you start. 

Some vaccines take longer like 30 days. 

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Interesting, I wonder if it is available in the US.

It seems it works, but is not that effective.  Maybe 2 years, and only 60% effective the second year.

According to the CDC website, it isn't but there is another vaccine, Vaxchora, that is approved. 

https://www.cdc.gov/cholera/vaccines.html

Both Vaxchora and Dukoral are apparently give short term protection. CDC says Vaxchora reduces the chance of severe diarrhea by 90% at 1 week after dropping to 80% protection at 3 months after. 

• Like 1