New Onboard Spa Vendor - Serene Spa & Wellness

Mtns2Lakes

Here's an article from Cruse Industry News about the change in the Spa.

I've read several others on line and there is a comment  in one of them saying that they too will have items on the menu in Compass Rose the way Cannon Ranch did.

Anyway, now it's official.

The Explorer changes over on December 7, the Mariner (pre-WC), the Voyager and the Navigator, also in January and the Splendor will have the new Spa on board when it launches.

Peggy

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21659-regent-debuts-new-serene-spa-wellness-fleetwide.html

15 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I love the unbridled optimism that makes people think spa services will be less expensive.  I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict that we’ll be lucky if the prices stay the same...I’d guess a slight increase, actually.

But I AM a bit of a pessimist sometimes...

Well, I will also go out on a limb - NCLH is scheduled to have their 3rd qtr earnings call within the next few weeks  - for those who are unfamiliar with earnings calls, this is usually a conference call between officials of a public company and analysts/large investors to discuss the financial performance of the previous quarter and their outlook for the future. I am going to guess that the change of vendors for spa services will be discussed as an area for increased revenue growth and while the initial prices may be the same of slightly lower than those offered by Canyon Ranch, in the long run the prices will be higher. For those interested, transcripts of earning calls are readily available on line and are quite interesting to read, esp to go back and read the transcripts from a year or two ago and then see what actually happened.  As a publicly traded company, the main objective of NCLH is to keep their shareholders happy and that is accomplished with increased revenue = increased stock price/dividends. (NCLH does not currently pay any dividends)

gnomie

1 hour ago, xrvlcruiser said:

I've read several others on line and there is a comment  in one of them saying that they too will have items on the menu in Compass Rose the way Cannon Ranch did.

The Explorer changes over on December 7, the Mariner (pre-WC), the Voyager and the Navigator, also in January and the Splendor will have the new Spa on board when it launches.

Peggy

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21659-regent-debuts-new-serene-spa-wellness-fleetwide.html

Thanks for posting that Peggy.  I read somewhere (several articles out there) that there will be plant-based items (like their new non-meat burger) on their menu.  While Canyon Ranch had a few items that we liked, we would rather eat what we want (only less of it) and enjoy our vacation rather than eating plants, etc.  This is good for vegetarians (especially newbie vegetarians/vegans as they have not had years of learning how to make delicious yet healthy food).  There is a part of me that feels that the boom of vegetarians/vegans is a fad (just like people that are able to eat gluten that are eating non-gluten products).  Trying a new way of eating is a good thing - whether you stick with it or not.

Regent has received a lot of complaints about Canyon Ranch in the last year or so and it is gratifying to know that they are listening to their customers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Seriously doubt if they would keep the same people that currently work for Canyon Ranch as they are the problem.  Talk about training - some of them don't even know what services they provide (had to show them from their list of services).  Really glad to be getting rid of Canyon Ranch and can only hope that that the employees of the new company are friendlier, more knowledgeable and do not try to sell you anything extra!

As far as a Q&A session - I wouldn't hold my breath!!!!!!!!!

Little condisending, don't you think? What services did you utilize that we're not up to you're expectations from the list?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I love the unbridled optimism that makes people think spa services will be less expensive.  I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict that we’ll be lucky if the prices stay the same...I’d guess a slight increase, actually.

But I AM a bit of a pessimist sometimes...

Bill, prices stay the same? As you, doesn't matter to me. Pessimistic people wouldn't even use the services. 45 minutes and it's over.

Back when we were in our 40s we purchased a 10 year membership at Canyon Ranch in Tucson. We took their dietary and exercise advice, and they changed my life. I have since changed it back, but I'll always be thankful for what they did for me. 

Having said that, the spas on Regent really have little in common with CR's two destination spas. For a real shock,  you should visit the Canyon Ranch spa at the Venetian in Vegas. They hurt their brand with this stuff. 

1 hour ago, Mjflowers said:

Little condisending, don't you think? What services did you utilize that we're not up to you're expectations from the list?

It doesn't matter what services we utilize ....... Canyon Ranch was simply not up to what is expected by most passengers!

1 hour ago, Mjflowers said:

Not meant to be condescending.  You did not have to utilize their services to know that some of the staff were clueless.  If you did utilize their services, many Regent passengers were given the "hard sell" to purchase their products.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

.....  If you did utilize their services, many Regent passengers were given the "hard sell" to purchase their products.

All spa services on all cruise line have a hard sell. Get a message, they try to sell you a lotion/potion. Get your hair done, "you need some magic conditioner/Shampoo." And whatever they are trying to push off is much higher priced than anything shore-side. Trying to up sell is where the Spas really makes their money. Beside the ups-sell they offer useless things like foot or posture clinics to sell othrhotics or body fat/composition analysis to sell junk vitamins and supplement. 

But  what do I know;  it must be a real money maker because almost all cruise lines have them, they all charge about the same and all push add on products.

J

On 10/2/2019 at 5:28 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Not meant to be condescending.  You did not have to utilize their services to know that some of the staff were clueless.  If you did utilize their services, many Regent passengers were given the "hard sell" to purchase their products.

Maybe not meant to be but it sure did read like it. Have not used spa ever. No need. Also I don't hang around out side just to  judge their clueless efforts. What that looks like I wouldn't have a clue. To have an opinion, as I asked and didn't get an answers one should at least have used them. Have you ever used their services? 

9 minutes ago, Mjflowers said:

Maybe not meant to be but it sure did read like it. Have not used spa ever. No need. Also I don't hang around out side just to  judge their clueless efforts. What that looks like I wouldn't have a clue. To have an opinion, as I asked and didn't get an answers one should at least have used them. Have you ever used their services? 

Of course I have - that is what my opinion is based on.  Their cluelessness came when I was making an appointment for a nail service that was listed on their list of services provided.  The person at the desk had no idea what I was talking about until I pointed it out on the sheet.  Many times the staff at the front desk has been less than friendly.  Both my DH and I have had their pressure sales and others have had the same experience (based on posts on CC).  The nicest person that I met at the spa was a young woman that was hard of hearing and I needed to look right at her in order for her to understand me.  She did a great job, was polite and we both enjoyed our conversation!

Before we all get excited, we have no idea what this company is all about.  We know prices will be on the high size, just like a resort, big city hotel.  We know they will sell product, but all you have to say at the beginning of your treatment is say, I'm here to enjoy the treatment and I won't be buying any additional product.  Really we have to give them a chance at there service before we say how "GOOD" or "BAD they will be, nothing more or nothing less.

It has not been our experience that all spas on cruiselines try to sell you something.  It happened to my DH a couple of times but not to me. I would feel that it is rude to tell the person that I will not be purchasing anything at the beginning.  At least wait to see if they are trying to sell you anything.

One thing that Canyon Ranch did not do was advising passengers that an 18% too was included. It was surprising how many passengers were not aware of this. 

In terms of discussing what it may be like, it is fun to speculate - just as we do with new ships.  It is kind of interesting that the cost of the services is being discussed since most of us use OBC's. 

We won't experience the new spa until we board Splendor so I'll look forward to hearing reviews from Explorer when it debuts in December!

47 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It has not been our experience that all spas on cruiselines try to sell you something.  It happened to my DH a couple of times but not to me. I would feel that it is rude to tell the person that I will not be purchasing anything at the beginning.  At least wait to see if they are trying to sell you anything.

One thing that Canyon Ranch did not do was advising passengers that an 18% too was included. It was surprising how many passengers were not aware of this. 

In terms of discussing what it may be like, it is fun to speculate - just as we do with new ships.  It is kind of interesting that the cost of the services is being discussed since most of us use OBC's. 

We won't experience the new spa until we board Splendor so I'll look forward to hearing reviews from Explorer when it debuts in December!

I agree with the exception of being rude, nothing is rude about it.  Just let the person know you're here to enjoy the hour or so and you do it for enjoyment.  I get facials and enjoy them when I at a resort, cruise or at a resort near where we live.  However I don't really do anything at home, so why would I buy a product and waste a persons time telling be about something I won't use.  And the spa person is find with that---it's not rude.

My husband and I have enjoyed frequent Canyon Ranch spa services on all of our Regent and Oceania cruises.  Depending on the length of the cruise, I will have 3+ shampoo/blow drys, occasional manicures and pedicures.  He will have 3+ 90 minute deep tissue massages.  Yes, the prices are steep (and I don't expect that to change) but we've always been pleased with the services and he has been especially impressed with the quality of most of his massages. I have had occasional hair products suggested and a polite 'no thank you' has worked just fine.  Neither of us have ever been solicited for tips.  In fact, a number of hairdressers have gone out of their way to make sure that I understand that the gratuity is included.

I realize that I am in the minority, but just my opinion.  Oh, and the CR Buffalo Chicken salad on the room service menu is delish!

I have had very good experiences at the Spa. I don’t do nails in any shape or form, due to professional role, but I love to have my hair washed and styled. 

Yes compared to on land high street prices it’s expensive, but I expect that. I’ve never felt pressured into any products on sale, in fact felt the hair stylist to be knowledgeable about the products they use and also my own products that I use and bring with me to use myself.

For me it’s a treat whilst onboard, as we don’t have OBC to use but I enjoy the pampering and have always been pleased with the way I have been treated from reception desk to salon service.    Jean.

The first time I used Canyon Ranch for a massage (many moons ago), I was not told tips were included. I added a tip to the bill and she never said anything. I was very annoyed that no one at the salon pointed this out to me. I discovered it was included when some cruisers mentioned it to me. 

The next cruise we took, after I had my massage, I did not tip. No comments. 

Sheila

On 10/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, xrvlcruiser said:

Peggy

Thank you for posting that article - very interesting!  Unfortunately, the new spa won't be onboard until the end of "our" cruise.  Wonder if we will notice changes with Canyon Ranch since it will be their last sailing on Regent.

<<Wonder if we will notice changes with Canyon Ranch since it will be their last sailing on Regent. <<

I was wondering the same thing - possibly a sale on some of the products - so they don't have to pack/take them off the ship?

Guess we'll just have to wait to see!

Peggy

I am very happy to see CanyonRanch go.  I have had many really good, some great massages onboard as well as just so so manicures and pedicures.  My son had the best haircut of his life.  But it was really annoying to be pressured to buy products that I don’t really need, and to see that my husband, who doesn’t pay attention to this sort of thing, give a 20% gratuity to a service when gratuity was already included.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:36 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for posting that article - very interesting!  Unfortunately, the new spa won't be onboard until the end of "our" cruise.  Wonder if we will notice changes with Canyon Ranch since it will be their last sailing on Regent.

We are on that cruise also and was wondering the same thing.

On 10/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, RachelG said:

I am very happy to see CanyonRanch go.  I have had many really good, some great massages onboard as well as just so so manicures and pedicures.  My son had the best haircut of his life.  But it was really annoying to be pressured to buy products that I don’t really need, and to see that my husband, who doesn’t pay attention to this sort of thing, give a 20% gratuity to a service when gratuity was already included.

My thinking, but you said it truthfully and with class--it's the presell and not telling you they already included gratuity.  What else could be stated?🤗

On 10/2/2019 at 10:38 PM, JMARINER said:

All spa services on all cruise line have a hard sell. Get a message, they try to sell you a lotion/potion. Get your hair done, "you need some magic conditioner/Shampoo." And whatever they are trying to push off is much higher priced than anything shore-side. Trying to up sell is where the Spas really makes their money. Beside the ups-sell they offer useless things like foot or posture clinics to sell othrhotics or body fat/composition analysis to sell junk vitamins and supplement. 

But  what do I know;  it must be a real money maker because almost all cruise lines have them, they all charge about the same and all push add on products.

J

Sometimes I just remember the name of the lotion/potion. Go on Amazon right after the treatment and buy it for 1/3 the price.

• Haha 1