Paper straws on Celebrity

GweninTX

I am considering this a Public Service announcement for those of you out there that LOVE straws. We just returned from 10 days on the Equinox and the paper straws they are using are WORTHLESS! Not only do they collapse and you cannot get your drink to suck up thru them, but they disintegrate and make your drink taste AWFUL!! Now I know, that we should all just be happy we are on a cruise and blah, blah, blah -- but if you are a straw LOVER like me - this is a BIG deal! SOoooooo - either take a supply of plastic straws in your purse or take a metal straw with you as you will need it. I know they are trying to save the planet and the oceans by using these awful paper straws, but it is a joke -- they use disposable PLASTIC container filled jams  jellies on the dining room table and THOUSANDS of plastic water bottles on the ship. I am through with my rant --- but I wish someone had told m e before we left so I could have taken appropriate action!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I’ll respond once on this subject:   Used paper straws on Celebrity and many restaurants here and had no issues. Lasted just fine. 

Sorry you had issues. 

Den

Didnt have issues but they change the taste of the drink, that I have a problem with

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

Just drink faster😉

Jelayne - was going to say exactly the same!  I actually don't like paper straws very much at all, but have noticed that they are definitely are not for me if I'm going to nurse my drink.  I miss the plastic straws, but I get it and that's all we have now in the restaurants around me so I've learned....drink faster (or exchange the straw a few times because a soggy paper straw is just no good)

11 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

Stick to martinis and wine - no straw required!   

Was just getting ready to say the same thing.  Wife and I are wine/martini people.  I do agree that paper straws are not my favorite when I've had to use them.  This reinforces our choice of beverages.  🤣

When at the pool during the day I do have a couple of mudslides or pina coladas. I've tried drinking them without straws but they invariably end up down the front of my shirt. I have used the new paper straws and haven't had a problem with them becoming soggy (I guess I drink too fast!) but I can't get past the taste of them, I find the taste disgusting to the point that I do not enjoy my drink. On my past couple of cruises this year I have taken a few plastic straws with me, problem solved. I am careful to not allow the plastic straws to blow overboard but dispose of them in the trash.

• Like 1

You can get the flexible plastic straws at Kroger or your local Dollar Store for $1.00 for 100 of them.  Bring your own.   I hate the politically correct paper ones.  It's not about saving the environment or the turtles.  It's just a bunch of feel good nonsense, yada, yada, yada.  🍷

• Like 5

& right after everyone is done using their plastic straws that they brought on board they can have themselves a nice long smoke on the balcony, because, hey,  microplastics aren't that much worse than second hand smoke, right?:classic_tongue:

Seriously, we've been using paper straws around here for a while & they are fine for one drink.  

If it's that big of an issue, bring a stainless steel straw & the little tool to keep it clean.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ridicule the plastic straw ban all you want- the damage plastic causes is all too real. I've been using the paper straws for a couple of years now, both on and off the ships and have only once had a problem (due to an overly thick milkshake). As for the paper imparting an unpleasant flavor, apparently my taste buds must be deficient.  I've never noticed anything but the taste of the drink. 

If you must bring your own straws, at least be responsible and use a non plastic reusable one. They come in metal (with or without silicone tips for those whose delicate pearly whites can't tolerate touching metal), in bamboo, and in silicone. They come in glass as well, but I wouldn't recommend them for travel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GweninTX said:

Now I know, that we should all just be happy we are on a cruise and blah, blah, blah -- but if you are a straw LOVER like me - this is a BIG deal! 

This is my favorite quote of the week!  Especially the blah, blah, blah.  😀😀😀

• Haha 1

Sooner rather than later, the technology will change and someone will devise a way to make a straw and other single use plastic items environmentally and user friendly.

There's always a few experiments that fail in a transitional technology phase, think of today's (actually yesterday's) paper straw as a beta product that will be improved as the need demands.