Paper straws on Celebrity

GweninTX

4 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Why can't folks just drink without any straw at all? Why must everyone use a straw?  I know those with certain disabilities do need a straw, but the vast majority of people do not. 

To each their own. I've also seen a few enjoying their BP way too much that could/should have used a straw. 😉 

I now take these straws in my purse. https://www.amazon.com/RESTRAW-Collapsible-Reusable-keychain-Stainless/dp/B07TSKVX5N/ref=sr_1_25?crid=3UK3434NG8OF4&keywords=reusable+colapsable+straws&qid=1570060976&sprefix=Reusable+calapsable+straws%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-25  I Hate paper straws, and dislike the way it sticks to my lips. A must have for non alcoholic drinks! Personal preference, but with alcohol I don’t use a straw.

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

To each their own. I've also seen a few enjoying their BP way too much that could/should have used a straw. 😉 

In the interest of transparency, I do use paper straws and always have several with me for restaurants. I have  straws for every holiday and theme. Right now I am using an assortment of colorful Halloween straws. Maybe I drink fast, but the ones I have don't fall apart. I buy them in large lots from Amazon. Some here say paper straws don't last. Why not just ask for a fresh straw in that case? 

Some here say they don't like the taste of paper straws, but do plastic straws taste any better? 

Anyway, I know I won't convince the plastic straw users to change. Maybe they can make other positive changes to help reduce the growing problem of micro-plastics in the environment. If each person would choose just one change to make, it might make a difference, but I know each person has to choose what is meaningful to them. It is depressing to hear some say the problem is so big, nothing any one person is doing will make a dent in the situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, davekathy said:

And then came the idea for some of us of shooting the soggy paper from the straw out of the straw. 

I thought the same thing but was afraid to say it...then came detention!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Why can't folks just drink without any straw at all? Why must everyone use a straw?  I know those with certain disabilities do need a straw, but the vast majority of people do not. 

Ever tried to drink a mudslide or a frozen daiquiri without a straw? Didn't think so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like to drink with a straw, and I don't need to explain myself. I am sure you have a habit or two that would make me cringe, but I resist getting into other people's business. Live and let live.

11 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I like to drink with a straw, and I don't need to explain myself. I am sure you have a habit or two that would make me cringe, but I resist getting into other people's business. Live and let live.

Oh, yes.  Spot on!!  🍷

• Like 1

In the interest of transparency, I do use paper straws and always have several with me for restaurants. I have  straws for every holiday and theme. Right now I am using an assortment of colorful Halloween straws. Maybe I drink fast, but the ones I have don't fall apart. I buy them in large lots from Amazon. Some here say paper straws don't last. Why not just ask for a fresh straw in that case? 

Some here say they don't like the taste of paper straws, but do plastic straws taste any better? 

Anyway, I know I won't convince the plastic straw users to change. Maybe they can make other positive changes to help reduce the growing problem of micro-plastics in the environment. If each person would choose just one change to make, it might make a difference, but I know each person has to choose what is meaningful to them. It is depressing to hear some say the problem is so big, nothing any one person is doing will make a dent in the situation. 

I'm wondering if the problem/resistance here is that Celebrity is perhaps using a shoddy product.   I know the ones I use at home & at restaurants around where I live are fine, no weird taste, they don't disintegrate (just had two margaritas with our Wednesday restaurant night, & my paper straw lasted through both)   

I do agree (sadly) that you won't convince a certain segment of society to change...  just like the all the anti-vaxers, climate science deniers,  young earth believers....people like to deny  things that inconvenience them.  But as NDGT says:  The good thing about science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it,"

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I can drink without a straw. I just prefer not to. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:30 PM, GweninTX said:

I am considering this a Public Service announcement for those of you out there that LOVE straws. We just returned from 10 days on the Equinox and the paper straws they are using are WORTHLESS! Not only do they collapse and you cannot get your drink to suck up thru them, but they disintegrate and make your drink taste AWFUL!! Now I know, that we should all just be happy we are on a cruise and blah, blah, blah -- but if you are a straw LOVER like me - this is a BIG deal! SOoooooo - either take a supply of plastic straws in your purse or take a metal straw with you as you will need it. I know they are trying to save the planet and the oceans by using these awful paper straws, but it is a joke -- they use disposable PLASTIC container filled jams  jellies on the dining room table and THOUSANDS of plastic water bottles on the ship. I am through with my rant --- but I wish someone had told m e before we left so I could have taken appropriate action!

I bought a box of plastic straws for like $1 and brought them with us.

We put some in our "day bag" for the pool etc

Considering the biggest polluters of plastics etc begin with China and I properly dispose of my trash--- the pandering/virtue signalling with paper straws is ridiculous.

We assume the glass and plastic bottles for the water/vitamin water/beer etc are sent to recycling

https://www.statista.com/chart/12211/the-countries-polluting-the-oceans-the-most/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kittymadam said:

Teerick, can you message me? Have a question regarding another post about a post you made about Celebrity. kittymadam at hotmail.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the message feature of cruise critic is not working.

12 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

My thoughts exactly.  So many places of business just automatically serve drinks with straws.  So unnecessary.  My guess is that 90% of folks would not miss the straw if it was not there.  Disabilities and temperature sensibilities aside, straws are not a necessary item.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sascol said:

My thoughts exactly.  So many places of business just automatically serve drinks with straws.  So unnecessary.  My guess is that 90% of folks would not miss the straw if it was not there.  Disabilities and temperature sensibilities aside, straws are not a necessary item.

Ever tried drinking a smoothie or a thick pool drink without one?  LOL