Paper straws on Celebrity

GweninTX

19 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ok, I'll ask...what's a cyclamate?

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

An artificial sweetener that was banned as a possible carcinogenic.

Goes back a few years.  When they announced the stuff would be pulled from shelves a lot of people started stockpiling.  Then, it came down to whether you were "cyclamate worthy".  Lol.   

• Haha 1

It starts with straws....next goes the water bottles. And then Chic night will become Sustainable Clothing night - only clothes made from pineapple leaves and mushrooms in MDR.  And that will only happen if you’re still cruising as Flight Shame is here now and sure as shootin’ Cruise Ship Shame coming soon.

• Haha 2

Paper straws are HORRIBLE !!!

Remember those disgusting things in grade school trying to enjoy your graham crackers and milk, for those of us old enough, lol.

Suggestion: Go to eBay or Amazon and purchase a set of silicone straws with holder and brush, I got a set of two for $4.99, problem solved !

1 hour ago, citronella said:

It starts with straws....next goes the water bottles. And then Chic night will become Sustainable Clothing night - only clothes made from pineapple leaves and mushrooms in MDR.  And that will only happen if you’re still cruising as Flight Shame is here now and sure as shootin’ Cruise Ship Shame coming soon.

Great, I'll take my place in MDR in the Fall and wait for the leaves to start falling.🍻

4 hours ago, citronella said:

The plastic bottles are gone on Celebrity Edge.  They are now using aluminum.  There were a lot of snickers about that.  I chose to take the glass bottles out on the excursions.  I guess that glass is still OK.    

The next thing that I see in the cruise industry is people paddling the ship.  If people knew how much dino fuel they were burning per day they would blush.  I know that I did when I went on the Edge excursion that went up to the control room, laundry room, kitchen, crew quarters, etc.

17 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

Paper straws are HORRIBLE !!!

Remember those disgusting things in grade school trying to enjoy your graham crackers and milk, for those of us old enough, lol.

Suggestion: Go to eBay or Amazon and purchase a set of silicone straws with holder and brush, I got a set of two for $4.99, problem solved !

Yeah or just go to BK or MacD's for lunch or just about anywhere for coffee before the cruise and grab a few plastic straws nicely wrapped in paper to take with you.  Free.  When you get home put them in your recycling bin if you want.

• Like 1

Forget about packing straws. Send a message by asking for two straws for your drink. If you have a drink package and your drink becomes tainted from the disintegrated straw dump it and order another drink. I did this on Royal Caribbean. I’m not packing or washing straws ever. Truth told I only needed a straw for the frozen blended coffee. Everything else I drank from the bottle or glass. I know there are a lot of you who enjoy the frozen drinks and you shouldn’t have to suffer through it with an inadequate straw.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, hcat said:

Paper cups too? Yikes...

Have to add some reg ones to my cruise  stuff...

it was only the smoothie bar...the smoothies at the pool bar were better, cheaper and came in real cups. 

23 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Forget about packing straws. Send a message by asking for two straws for your drink. If you have a drink package and your drink becomes tainted from the disintegrated straw dump it and order another drink. I did this on Royal Caribbean. I’m not packing or washing straws ever. Truth told I only needed a straw for the frozen blended coffee. Everything else I drank from the bottle or glass. I know there are a lot of you who enjoy the frozen drinks and you shouldn’t have to suffer through it with an inadequate straw.

I think a thick frozen drink will always be a challenge for a paper straw.  Maybe they should carry both types of straws and give the plastic ones to customers who order those thick frozen beverages.  They will still reduce the number of plastic straws overall in doing it this way.  

On 10/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Everything else I drank from the bottle or glass. I know there are a lot of you who enjoy the frozen drinks and you shouldn’t have to suffer through it with an inadequate straw.

I also drink everything from a bottle or glass (mostly glass). However the ship has sailed (pun intended) in regards to straws.

You learn to adapt.  After trying a paper straw, if you don't like paper straws bring your own

Smokers have had to adapt on airplanes, land and on ships.

Auto manufacturers/oil industries paint had to adapt to lead free gasoline

Paint manufacturer's had to adapt to lead free paint.

They and the rest of the world continues to survive even through these so-called hardships.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, Wine-O said:

There are hundreds of millions of turtles out there, and one shows up with a straw in the eye/nostril, or whatever?   Go talk to China and India who are the major plastics polluters and leave my plastic straws alone.  🍷

If it makes you feel better to believe it’s just one turtle then good for you.

• Like 1

Just off Equinox, they worked fine for me..

and the reason you cant really compare the straws to water bottles, etc is the shape of the straws, being very slender they get into places they don’t need to be in very easily.