Oasis "Reclassifying" Cabins AGAIN

17 hours ago, uvadover said:

Any experience with this or thoughts on how to proceed?  

Keep making noise.  Have an idea of what would be acceptable to you as compensation if you were to take the cabin option they found for you on a less desirable deck.  Make sure you know the cabin categories of your original booking and what they want to move you to and do a mock booking to compare pricing.  Try to negotiate for OBC and don't take no for an answer.

Edited by AshleyDillo
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, uvadover said:
1 hour ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, Why add cabins if you have to remove folks from other cabins and have the same capacity as before?

I assume it's because Guest #1 and #2 in a cabin cost more than Guests #3 and #4.  At least in my case, where I have 3 people in the second room.  They make more money selling Guest #1 and #2 in a new room, and free up the slot(s) by nixing the ability to have a 3rd or 4th guest in existing cabins.

Not to mention it will force families to book the more expensive family suite rooms.

Unprofessional for Royal to sell cabins that they do not have. If they are still figuring out the floor plan, then they should not put the cabin up for sale.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uvadover said:

I assume it's because Guest #1 and #2 in a cabin cost more than Guests #3 and #4.  At least in my case, where I have 3 people in the second room.  They make more money selling Guest #1 and #2 in a new room, and free up the slot(s) by nixing the ability to have a 3rd or 4th guest in existing cabins.

Yes, I think that's the reason, but it's always been the case. Oasis double occupancy capacity was about 5,400 and will go to about 5,500 with the new berths. The maximum passenger load for the ship is about 6,300 (figuring crew manning the lifeboats accounts for the rest of the total lifeboat capacity), so there has always been a limit of about 900 passengers over and above double occupancy. In other words, they could never fill all of the cabins to full occupancy. The new cabins just make things tighter.

I think part of the problem is that many bookings occurred before the deck plans were finalized, and now they are trying to go back and undo the overcapacity caused by the changes. As to why they picked your cabin to reclassify (twice), it's anyone's guess.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:36 PM, FLACRUISER99 said:

Anyone think that RCI plans to increase lifeboat capacity in the future?

I am waiting for the news release about how RCI has managed to reclassify the lifeboats themselves and divvy them up into 3 cabins, with collapsible walls and closets that can be jettisoned in an emergency.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:45 AM, uvadover said:

Needless to say, I would expect moving 4 decks DOWN to a much higher traffic deck would be less desirable and, therefore, less expensive.  I was told there would be no price accommodation.  

Lower decks have no more traffic than higher decks.  In fact deck 8 is where Central Park is so very few people would choose to walk down a hallway when they can walk through Central Park or go down two more decks to six.

Higher vs. lower decks vary in price differences one cruise to the next.  Sometimes more, sometimes less expensive.  I routinely see more expensive cabins on deck 6-8 and cheaper cabins on decks 11-14.

1356016265_OAdecksdifferences.jpeg.2b06406fda02c46b886108fb7f4fc1f9.jpeg

Personally I prefer lower decks.  Easy access to Boardwalk, Central Park, MDR, shows, bars, spa, etc.  Pools and Windjammer require an elevator but no matter where you are on Oasis something is an elevator ride and something else is walkable.   I often pay a small premium to be on decks 6-8 while stuff on 12-14 is cheaper.  I just like being closer to the Promenade but especially Central Park.  

I'm not trying to minimize the stress this is introducing but perhaps it can end up being nothing but a small bump in the road.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I am waiting for the news release about how RCI has managed to reclassify the lifeboats themselves and divvy them up into 3 cabins, with collapsible walls and closets that can be jettisoned in an emergency.

Funny, but that is probably under serious consideration.

Deck location is a matter if preference, and very subjective. 

Me and hubby love being one deck down from the pool. Both of us a little hard of hearing, and all the activity we sleep like babies and never hear anything. 

We love easy access to pool deck. 

We just got a call from our travel agent about the same thing.   Booked rooms onboard a year ago for cruise this April on Oasis.  Two connecting balcony rooms.  Our daughter's family(includes 2 children) and one for the two of us.  Told daughter's room would no longer accommodate the number of people in the room!  Very frustrating after spending all that time with next cruise, selecting rooms from new deck plans!  Waiting to see if they find two connecting  balcony staterooms.

We are on Allure for Christmas and it will probably be our last Royal Cruise.  I am so tired of all the changes they make as the cruise gets closer and their stupid excuses.  If I can't find a better cruise line I guess we will just stay on land.  It sad, because we do like to cruise but when I schedule for St Thomas, I want to go to St Thomas not spend a short time in San Juan.  And then I read about everyone else issues and it seems that RCI cares less and less for their customers.  At the rate they are going they are going to have all these big ships and not be able to fill them because we are getting feed up with the way they treat their paying customers.

• Like 2

Spoke further with RCCL on this matter today.  A few takeaways.  Their "revenue department" has basically instructed them to dig in, and that they should not be offering ANY compensation for the swaps.  The reclassification is not necessarily a function of adding more cabins, though in this case it likely is.  Sometimes they decide to change a double room to a triple or quad (perhaps based on group bookings).  For whatever reason, this holiday sailing has gone through this a bunch.  When I half-heartedly joked "at least I can't be moved around again," he said "probably not, but you really never know."  Didn't realize there was this much unpredictability in a confirmed reservation, that has been fully paid, and within 90 days of sailing.  Extremely disappointing, and makes me question my loyalty for sure.  

12 minutes ago, uvadover said:

... Didn't realize there was this much unpredictability in a confirmed reservation, that has been fully paid, and within 90 days of sailing.   ....

It's all in the cruise contract.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

It's all in the cruise contract.

Yes, that literally nobody reads.  Not questioning whether they can do it, but whether they should do it.  It's terrible customer service, and wholly unnecessary.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, uvadover said:

Yes, that literally nobody reads.  Not questioning whether they can do it, but whether they should do it.  It's terrible customer service, and wholly unnecessary.

As long as there is no immediate (small number of days) affect to the corporation, it ends up being a very low priority.

The only long term looking people in the corporation are those that design the ships.

41 minutes ago, uvadover said:

Didn't realize there was this much unpredictability in a confirmed reservation, that has been fully paid, and within 90 days of sailing.  Extremely disappointing, and makes me question my loyalty for sure.  

There should be no question. Loyalty is a word used by customers to attempt personalizing a business relationship. 

If you take another cruise with a line you feel is treating you with disregard, you're basically saying "Do whatever you want."   How resolute are you to stand by your conviction?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

There should be no question. Loyalty is a word used by customers to attempt personalizing a business relationship. 

If you take another cruise with a line you feel is treating you with disregard, you're basically saying "Do whatever you want."   How resolute are you to stand by your conviction?

I would have defined Loyalty a little  differently.  I think it is a word used by companies to attempt to create  personal relationships to increase business.  Many companies including Royal spend millions on Loyalty programs that create something similar to "golden handcuffs" with their customers.  Discounts, free drinks, special lounges, special events, etc.  Unfortunately, Royal does not value a customer until they reach Diamond. 

As for the customer, each has to weigh any negative treatment against the perks they would miss if they moved their business to another line.  If the pain of the negative treatment is less than the pleasure of the perks, they will remain until the treatment reaches a threshold where the perks are not worth it anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

The only long term looking people in the corporation are those that design the ships.

Maybe the ship design dept can loan a few folks to the cabin floor plan & lifeboat capacity depts since the folks in those depts can't figure out passenger capacity less than 3 months before sailing. 🙄

On 10/4/2019 at 6:01 PM, Vlgg731 said:

We are on Allure for Christmas and it will probably be our last Royal Cruise.  I am so tired of all the changes they make as the cruise gets closer and their stupid excuses.  If I can't find a better cruise line I guess we will just stay on land.  It sad, because we do like to cruise but when I schedule for St Thomas, I want to go to St Thomas not spend a short time in San Juan.  And then I read about everyone else issues and it seems that RCI cares less and less for their customers.  At the rate they are going they are going to have all these big ships and not be able to fill them because we are getting feed up with the way they treat their paying customers.

Allure has a propulsion problem that can’t be fixed until it goes to Spain in March for its refurb and amplification.  The propulsion problem causes it to not be able to go as fast as it normally would and that’s why they’ve had to change ports around to closer ones.

I’m so sorry about your situation, I would be seriously unhappy.

i would think a fair resolution would be to ask a few of the couples in adjoining rooms, that don’t need them, if they would be willing to move to a different room.  Possibly starting with the most recent bookings and offering an incentive.  Maybe a dining package or OBC.  Seems unfair to ask a large party to move twice.  I wouldn’t stop until I got somebody high enough to help makes this right.  Is profit worth the fact that you alienate future customers?