Low sodium diet

Crusin Karen

A very close friend of ours recently sailed with CCL, and he is on a very strict low sodium diet....currently on heart and kidney transplant list.  He said CCL was VERY accommodating, and he had no trouble getting the food he needed.  I think he contacted CCL ahead of time and also talked to the wait staff and maitre d' upon boarding.  He was very pleased.  Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

That is great and  comforting news!  Thanks!  Not sure how to contact CCL ahead of time, but I will certainly talk to the Maitre D!  

They specifically indicate you should discuss your dietary peculiarities on board (except for Kosher meal requirement).  Contacting someone in advance will do nothing beneficial other than make you feel someone listened to you about your husband's medical condition.  Those on board will not seek you out because you contacted someone in advance.

They want you to discuss this on board face-to-face so that if there are any questions to be asked (from both sides) they can be answered on the spot.  This isn't their first rodeo and a low sodium diet is almost commonplace today.  They will know what you're talking about.  With the plethora of food allergies and medical conditions requiring a modified diet that have ballooned in the last decade, the hospitality and restaurant industry have become defacto "experts" on what can/can't or should/shouldn't be served.

I don't think you'll have to taste-test your husband's food before he eats it (unless you are curious how it tastes).  You'll be well taken care of by a food service staff experienced to manage your special requirements.

Happy Cruisin, Karen!

Thank you very much!  That is great news!  I just was not sure if a waiter would be able to "understand" low sodium with the amount of language barriers they have; they do a superb job, but " low sodium" might throw them for a loop!!! And they are busy enough as is taking and serving orders.  I will be sure to seek out the maître D when we board.  😉

13 hours ago, cruisinmems said:

My husband is low sodium also.  The waiter will bring you the next night's menu sometime during your meal for you to make your selections in advance.  They will then prepare what you chose as low sodium as they can accommodate. 🙂

That's MORE great news!!!!  I think DH was thinking he would have to eat a bowl of Special K with skim milk for dinner every night!  All this information makes me feel so much better and SAFER!  Thank you all! 

• Haha 1

I'm not trying to be Capt. Obvious, but whatever DH does at home to make low sodium taste better you should consider doing on the ship. Like bring your shakers of salt substitutes or seasonings or whatever. Hopefully Carnival can make it low sodium and still taste great, but it's good to be prepared just in case their altered version is a swing and a miss.

• Like 1

Go to the Maitre D' as soon as possible after boarding. S/he will be available, most probably in the MDR, but ask to find out where exactly. Tell him/her your issue, and the head waiter will seek you out at dinner (even if you're in MyTime) to bring you the next night's menu and discuss best options for you. All cruise lines operate pretty much the same in this regard.

I didn't read the whole thread but one of the things my DH does is when he orders his food he asks for ALL sauces to be on the side.  If he likes it he can drastically limit the amount of "salt heavy sauce" he gets.

PS ... we always ask the wait staff very politely for this and have never had a problem.  They seem happy to please.  Especially true with our fixed seating dinners where the sauce on the side becomes a running joke.

Edited by summersigh

All great advise!  Thank you!  I also order my sauces/gravy on the side.  I am kind of picky about my add ons and nothing ruins a meal more than having something on top that you don't like!!!  We are boarding on Sunday, so I will be sure to speak to the Maitre d. 

I'm not low sodium but I am a vegetarian and can't do any dairy due to severe intolerance.  So I'm used to dealing with cruise lines on dietary restrictions.  Carnival has always handled it very well.  Just clearly communicate your needs to the Maitre'd and your wait staff and you will be very well taken care of.  

I would avoid the soups (hot ones for sure) as those are pretty salty in general. Don't know if they offer a low-sodium version, though. 

One thing we did discover on our last cruise is that you can get Gluten-Free AND Sugar-Free WCMC! Just need to order it the night before and they will have it ready for you.