Snorkel Coco Cay for free with no vest ???

drsmith

I've been reading comments from several different sources with conflicting information and would appreciation some clarification from someone who has been to Coco Cay in the last two months.

If I have my own snorkel mask, can I snorkel on my own in the designated snorkel area without a vest?  I read somewhere that they recently started allowing this, but you have to sign a waiver if you don't wear a vest.  But I've seen other comments that say otherwise.

Also, if snorkeling in the main snorkel area without a vest is not permitted on my own, is there another place at Coco Cay where this IS permitted?  And what will I see?  I like the main snorkel area and have been there several times, but not in the past four years.

And...what's the condition of the water/fish/jellyfish/etc since the storms?  I assume it's settled by now and the seaweed has been cleared from the beaches?

Edited by drsmith
To add question about condition after storms.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also hoping to snorkel sans vest in a couple weeks, so will look forward to seeing what is reported back on this thread.  I could buy one, but I just prefer not to wear one.  Never wear one snorkeling anywhere else, so why bother here.  I'm also hoping that I could snorkel outside the designated area to avoid getting kicked in the face.  So much area there to explore if we are allowed to...

Edited by PretenderFishing

Is the snorkeling good on Coco Cay? I would have assumed with all the human activity there wouldn't be many fish to see in the water.  I'm going there on Anthem in December and if it's a good experience I'd like to snorkel there.

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They should not allow anyone to snorkel without a vest. If you don't want to pay to rent then buy one. They are not that expensive, I have one in additon to mask and snorkel. The vest packs easy and does not take up much room.

Why? I never snorkel with a vest and I did some extensive snorkeling in my life. I can lay in the water face up or down for a long time.

Vest is for own protection, not to protect reefs or anything.

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, hp_slash said:

Is the snorkeling good on Coco Cay? I would have assumed with all the human activity there wouldn't be many fish to see in the water.  I'm going there on Anthem in December and if it's a good experience I'd like to snorkel there.

We snorkeled there several  when park was not built yet we just snorkeled off the beach and near the rocks it was good. Not amazingly good, but good. In addition to colorful fish we saw a little stingray.

From what I see in RCI excursion list

There is also a special area, reef and sunken ship. I wonder where is it.

20 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Why? I never snorkel with a vest and I did some extensive snorkeling in my life. I can lay in the water face up or down for a long time.

Vest is for own protection, not to protect reefs or anything.

For safety. It is insurance. Also for visability. I never put air in the vest because I dive down  but someday I may need too. In any case at a place like Co Co with lifeguards there can be liability if something happens.  Why would they go on your say so that you don't need a vest? They can't look at you and tell you are experienced. They should require it with no exceptions. . 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

For safety. It is insurance. Also for visability. I never put air in the vest because I dive down  but someday I may need too. In any case at a place like Co Co with lifeguards there can be liability if something happens.  Why would they go on your say so that you don't need a vest? They can't look at you and tell you are experienced. They should require it with no exceptions. . 

I do not think outside of official excursions there are liability to RCI

Looks like they allow.

We've been to Coco Cay several times with our own snorkeling equipment and to date have never had an issue. Because we live near the port, we've always brought cheap pool noodles instead of using a vest and no one's ever said anything about it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last month and brought own mask & fins. Snorkel area is limited to keep snorkelers out of boating areas, I was hoping you could snorkel all over the island but no such luck.  There is a shipwreck with some cannons, I was told the airplane is no longer accessible in the snorkel area from the beach. The snorkel shack has you sign a waiver and take a vest (no cost for the vest), and there is a safety/instructional video playing a loop on the side of that snorkel shack. As others have said you don't have to inflate the vest if you want to dive down.  Lots of fish, not much coral or reef, some folks saw a sea turtle and rays.  Later in the day I saw some folks snorkeling without a vest and never  saw anyone stop them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I snorkeled there in Oct with my own gear and no vest. No issues. I wasn't overly impressed by the snorkeling. Went out by where the people paying to do a snorkel tour were and didn't see much (too crowded I think in that area) There are a few floating platform lifeguard station things and under those I saw some stingrays and one turtle. By the rocks closer into shore were more schools of fish but not very colorful. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 11:46 PM, scott2165 said:

I snorkel there every time and don’t wear a vest. I use my gear. I don’t go to their designated area. I just go around the rocks and grass beds. I’ve seen tons of colorful fish, stingrays, needlefish, and small sharks. 

I know this is a little old of a post, but can you tell me where this is located? No real maps showing the decent areas where to snorkel. Only the CocoCay map with the plane picture randomly off the shore.

• 1 year later...