Three pair of shoes for Alaska

2 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I've traveled in Europe plenty of times when it was in the 60's and was perfectly happy in sandals during the day, and evening plenty of evenings.  A few years ago we were in Tuscany and Venice for 10 days in October and all I packed was 2 pair of sandals and was perfectly fine.  The clogs for traveling must be because she likes them and finds them comfortable.  They are probably also easy on/off for security etc.  And I'd be willing to bet they go with other things and can be worn throughout the trip. 

Hi Meg, they are  more of a mule (maybe that is a better term?)…..lightweight, not a heavy clog......and yes, I do find

them comfy....thanks:classic_smile:...….

8 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Sounds good to me,  4 pairs seems to be my happy medium.  Last time I flew with socks with birks...  even though I have TSA pre/global entry, none of my  flights were compatible,  & we took 6 flights in all.... so lots of taking on & off shoes in airports, the birks worked, were comfy, & the socks kept me semi sanitary :)

Have a wonderful trip, I love those couple of weeks ahead of time & the anticipation !

Thanks:classic_smile:……..looking forward it very much. I love Venice:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

To me, the most important thing is comfort when I travel and I’m guessing others feel the same way. So the shoe(s) that accomplish that go with me.  

Hey Lois, it won’t be long now. Looking forward to your thoughts on your river cruise. Wishing you a fantastic experience!

Sharon

I needed a new pair of waterproof boots for my upcoming solo road trip through SE Utah/NW Arizona (camping and hiking).  Being the old BoHo Hippie that I am, I could NOT pass these up!  I always liked Merrell Chameleon low-cut shoes, so I thought these would be great.  If nothing else, I'll always be smiling when I look at my feet!!!  

image.png.2b80f452b56bb0a86fb901f43034960a.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

To me, the most important thing is comfort when I travel and I’m guessing others feel the same way. So the shoe(s) that accomplish that go with me.  

Hey Lois, it won’t be long now. Looking forward to your thoughts on your river cruise. Wishing you a fantastic experience!

Sharon

Hi Sharon, thank you:classic_smile:

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Glad your Rothy's work for you.

Oh, it's not just a particular brand.  It's a slim-lined, flat, not chunky shoe.  Something I can wear with shorts, slacks or skirts. That way, on most trips, I only need two pairs.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Whatever the brand then-----I cannot wear that style for walking.

For close to 15 years I've worn a flat-type shoe made by Rothy's, Geox and even Ugg. They're more feminine than some and the latter two have loads of support.  But you seem to like those clunkier ones so, yeah, to each her own.

I like many different styles of shoes.....a full shoe, a flat, a sandal, open toe, closed toe, open back, closed back.

I liked all kinds of shoes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

I like many different styles of shoes.....a full shoe, a flat, a sandal, open toe, closed toe, open back, closed back.

I liked all kinds of shoes.

I should have said "when traveling."  I rarely travel with more than two pairs - wear a pair and pack a pair.

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I needed a new pair of waterproof boots ...If nothing else, I'll always be smiling when I look at my feet!!!  

OMG slidergirl...those are so FUN! Love them. A review said they had a big toe box and they look like a nice wide toe box. I've gotten used to wearing Altra running shoes which have a foot shaped shoe...meaning that the big toe area is straight and not curved inward in any way. How do you find the fit on these? Is the big toe room more straight or is there a curve? I could use a pair of light hikers...my current pair is wonderful and I love them (had them for YEARS) but they are very heavy, old school full leather. Still going strong because I don't hike too much...but I've had them for 20 years. I have trail runners that I usually use now...but I wouldn't mind a bit more ankle support. And I love the look of these. I've had Merrell sandals that I loved in the past.

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I needed a new pair of waterproof boots for my upcoming solo road trip through SE Utah/NW Arizona (camping and hiking).  Being the old BoHo Hippie that I am, I could NOT pass these up!  I always liked Merrell Chameleon low-cut shoes, so I thought these would be great.  If nothing else, I'll always be smiling when I look at my feet!!!  

Cute! I bet those you meet along the way on your hikes will be smiling too!

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

OMG slidergirl...those are so FUN! Love them. A review said they had a big toe box and they look like a nice wide toe box. I've gotten used to wearing Altra running shoes which have a foot shaped shoe...meaning that the big toe area is straight and not curved inward in any way. How do you find the fit on these? Is the big toe room more straight or is there a curve? I could use a pair of light hikers...my current pair is wonderful and I love them (had them for YEARS) but they are very heavy, old school full leather. Still going strong because I don't hike too much...but I've had them for 20 years. I have trail runners that I usually use now...but I wouldn't mind a bit more ankle support. And I love the look of these. I've had Merrell sandals that I loved in the past.

I'll let you know.  They haven't arrived yet.  I can actually use the big toe room.  I have nerve damage to my left big toe from when I shattered my fibula.  It feels like it's "asleep" all of the time.  I can't stand to have anything touching it - that disqualifies a lot of shoes.  I even had to have my ski boots custom blown to give more room for the toe.   My Keen Voyageurs (I think that is what they are - I've had this pair for 3 years) have a nice wide toe box.  My old Chameleon lows were OK for me, too.    My actual hiking   boots are the Merrells I was wearing when I shattered my leg - I'm not sure I want to put them back on.  I've stuck to mid and low since then.  

They have a pair of sandals in tie-dye, too...  But, I'm not a sandal person.  Since that toe really can't feel anything but pain, I have to protect it.  

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Why not?  There isn't a code about footwear...   

Oops.  Sorry.  Am in the process of booking an Oceania cruise and got a little hyper-focued 🙂

Oceania Cruises

The Dress Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate; think button-down shirts and slacks for men and dresses, nice pants or skirts and tops for women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to a more "elegant" interpretation of country club casual dress code.

Jeans, shorts, T-shirts, baseball caps and tennis shoes should not be worn at dinner or in any public areas after 6 p.m. (although caps are permitted in the Terrace Cafe buffet.) Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of the onboard restaurants at any time.

Number of Formal Nights: None.

Nightly Casual Option: The ship maintains a more casual dress code than most upscale lines, so evening casual wear is appropriate throughout the ship. Shorts and casual shirts are allowed in Terrace Cafe during the evening. Room service is always an option for the sweatpants and T-shirt crowd.

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

image.png.2b80f452b56bb0a86fb901f43034960a.png

These are so fun. I cannot imagine what color they will be after your trip to our S UT red rock country. Please take before/after pics. All my gear eventually becomes the color of our local sandstone no matter what. 

12 hours ago, clo said:

Don't you think that rather than "can't" that it's you choose not to.

It seems to me that footwear choices would be best matched to planned activities, foot fussiness, and style goals.  For me, two pair of flats would hamper my fun because I can’t hike, museum stroll or do similar activities that are my reason for travel. My sister toured Paris in flip flops. My feet don’t work that way. If your shoes allow you to vacation the way you want, your shoe choices are perfect, FOR YOU.  

Unless you know someone’s goals and needs match yours, it is unlikely their footwear needs would match yours, and it is peculiar to keep pointing to your choices as some mythical “best”.  It’s not a competition. I started this thread to give some breathing room for those who choose to travel lighter than some folks who want to bring a dozen pairs, which seems to be much more prevalent on this board in general than folks in this thread and  I’m learning a lot from the other posters about how they work out their strategies. It’s only vacation clothes in the end. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 5

Hi Anne, thank you so much for your kind, detailed reply.  I appreciate it very much. Seems no matter what my response, it is getting a pushback so I will take leave of this thread.

Thank you again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Seems no matter what my response, it is getting a pushback so I will take leave of this thread.

😢 Sometimes the price of being “right” is pushing other people away and they don’t even know they do it. See you elsewhere on the forum, I hope, Lois.

1 hour ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

For me, two pair of flats would hamper my fun because I can’t hike, museum stroll or do similar activities that are my reason for travel.

Due to a medical issue my hiking days are over but I never wore shoes that were clunky/chunky.  And I care VERY much how many shoes I DO carry.  Our travel has never been to just get on a ship and cruise.  We always have pre and post and mostly in the past never cruised at all.  I like looking nice and wear low key clothes so I can get a lot of wear out of them.  I wouldn't be caught dead in 'blingy' sandals, etc.  And in Alaska in the summer we were in summer clothes and shoes.

2 hours ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

These are so fun. I cannot imagine what color they will be after your trip to our S UT red rock country. Please take before/after pics. All my gear eventually becomes the color of our local sandstone no matter what. 

Yeah.  I'm always covered in red after trips to Moab!  Back in the day, I'd stop at one of the self-service car washes to give my bike a good power clean!  

Up here in N UT, I just get good ole dirt/dust on everything.