Three pair of shoes for Alaska

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Anne, thank you so much for your kind, detailed reply.  I appreciate it very much. Seems no matter what my response, it is getting a pushback so I will take leave of this thread.

Thank you again.

Lois,  I hope you didn't think I was pushing back on you.  I'm a firm believer in take what you need if traveling light or take what you want if you are not needing to take how much luggage or how much it weighs.   I'll take what works for me and my surgically-"enhanced" foot, ankle, and leg and damn what anyone thinks about my choice of footwear...  Have a great time on your cruise!!  I'm jealous...

10 minutes ago, Regcru said:

And your point is?   Who cares what others wear?   I like clunky, you like flat, she like boots, he likes slip on, she likes sandals...your point in this conversation was what?   So far, all I have read is me me me, nothing to share or help the op.  We get the point, you are better than us, and know more, and have more experience, and have better looking shoes, and have better feet, and have better taste than the rest.    We got that after post 1.   Again, your point is?    

Note to op, ignore is your friend, just jump over these posts and ignore poster.   Don’t give them a platform.  

OP's OP ended with this.

"I realize i am I am an outlier as far as shoe volume, but maybe someone else can take heart that it is possible to go light if desired. What’s the fewest shoes you’ve gotten by with?"

I go light and part of MY being able to do that is taking shoes that are ultra in one direction - blingy sandals or heavy boots/clogs/etc.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Lois,  I hope you didn't think I was pushing back on you.  I'm a firm believer in take what you need if traveling light or take what you want if you are not needing to take how much luggage or how much it weighs.   I'll take what works for me and my surgically-"enhanced" foot, ankle, and leg and damn what anyone thinks about my choice of footwear...  Have a great time on your cruise!!  I'm jealous...

Nope, I did not think that...…..thank you though:classic_smile:

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'll let you know.  They haven't arrived yet.  I can actually use the big toe room.... Since that toe really can't feel anything but pain, I have to protect it.  

Please do. So I found Altra Shoes a couple years ago. I’d never heard of them before and they have been really good for me. You might check them out for casual and athletic shoes:

https://www.altrarunning.com/why-altra.html

4 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Please do. So I found Altra Shoes a couple years ago. I’d never heard of them before and they have been really good for me. You might check them out for casual and athletic shoes:

https://www.altrarunning.com/why-altra.html

Thank.  I'll look at them when my Solomons wear out (they have maybe another Summer in them).  I'm wedded to my Jambus for my casual shoes for now - no need for any new ones (yet).

On 10/5/2019 at 11:18 PM, clo said:

Don't you think that rather than "can't" that it's you choose not to.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:19 PM, clo said:

But I'm guessing you don't wear them to dinner on a cruise.

Again with the not-so-subtle criticism/judgement of others' footwear choices.  Sheesh

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Anne, thank you so much for your kind, detailed reply.  I appreciate it very much. Seems no matter what my response, it is getting a pushback so I will take leave of this thread.

Thank you again.

You're really only getting push back from one person, who has apparently deemed herself the ultimate arbiter of proper footwear fashion.

16 hours ago, Regcru said:

And your point is?   Who cares what others wear?   I like clunky, you like flat, she like boots, he likes slip on, she likes sandals...your point in this conversation was what?   So far, all I have read is me me me, nothing to share or help the op.  We get the point, you are better than us, and know more, and have more experience, and have better looking shoes, and have better feet, and have better taste than the rest.    We got that after post 1.   Again, your point is?    

Note to op, ignore is your friend, just jump over these posts and ignore poster.   Don’t give them a platform.  

Her point?  Given the number of comments and the gist of them, I believe her point is to judge the footwear choices of others and make sure they know that she considers her own choices to be superior. 

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Her point? 

My point is that the OP is talking about minimizing the # of shoes one can take.  I'm one who can usually take two pair.  I took three to Antarctica, Iceland, Copenhagen.

Not just footwear🤣

Just had to send back some Lands End ballet flats - I've owned several pairs in the past and really loved. Shape has changed. Current option, sadly, has a decent insole (one problem I typically have with a ballet flat) but doesn't have enough vamp. I don't find toe cleavage visually a problem, but it *does* mean there isn't enough shoe there to support my foot. Dangit. They were on sale. And so cute! (I ordered black watch plaid and leopard calf hair).

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Not just footwear🤣

Just had to send back some Lands End ballet flats - I've owned several pairs in the past and really loved. Shape has changed. Current option, sadly, has a decent insole (one problem I typically have with a ballet flat) but doesn't have enough vamp. I don't find toe cleavage visually a problem, but it *does* mean there isn't enough shoe there to support my foot. Dangit. They were on sale. And so cute! (I ordered black watch plaid and leopard calf hair).

I hate it when a form is changed!  Why do they do that????    I used to be able to buy any Nike shoe without an issue.  Then, they changed the form and I can't wear any of them.  

On my next trip, I am staying two nights at a hotel that literally is in the middle of nowhere.  You have to eat at the hotel restaurant or drive 30 minutes to the only other place around.  With this conversation, I'm thinking maybe I need to bring my black "dress" boots to wear with my camo leggings or hiking pants when I go to dinner.... (just joking). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I can't wear most Merrells now (from when they changed in the mid-aughts, I think) They might have done some tweaks since then, as I've found a couple styles that will work for me now. Problem is -I think that my feet/needs are changing at the same time companies are changing their shoes....

Doesn't matter who I blame (me or them) - I'm still looking for shoes that work for me! 😉 I do most of my shopping online (I live remotely, trying to get variety in my size in person requires way too much driving) but I'm visiting my sister in the land of suburbia next weekend so if I can escape my nieces & nephew, I might see if I can try on some shoes.....

6 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Yeah, I can't wear most Merrells now (from when they changed in the mid-aughts, I think) They might have done some tweaks since then, as I've found a couple styles that will work for me now. Problem is -I think that my feet/needs are changing at the same time companies are changing their shoes....

Doesn't matter who I blame (me or them) - I'm still looking for shoes that work for me! 😉 I do most of my shopping online (I live remotely, trying to get variety in my size in person requires way too much driving) but I'm visiting my sister in the land of suburbia next weekend so if I can escape my nieces & nephew, I might see if I can try on some shoes.....

I live out in the hinterlands, too.  I plan one trip a month "down the hill" to get things that I just don't want to order online or get things fixed/altered.  My FedEx and UPS guys know my work schedule (they won't ring the doorbell bell before 11am lest they wake me up) and where they can safely drop off my packages and we're on a first name basis...  

Feet do change over time.  But, when a brand fits and then you go to buy another pair of the SAME ones and they don't fit at all, it isn't the foot... for my trail runners, I started buying them 2 pair at a time and put one away for when the first pair "dies."  I hate trying to find shoes that my toe will be happy in...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

My FedEx and UPS guys know my work schedule (they won't ring the doorbell bell before 11am lest they wake me up) and where they can safely drop off my packages and we're on a first name basis...  

UPS guys (regular and at least two of the alternates 😉 know me very well (but they also do pickups/deliveries at my husband's manufacturing company every day, small towns!) and the mail carrier and the weekend mail carrier.... We try not to use fedex if possible because they are AWFUL here, but often you can't pick or don't know before ordering how things will be shipped - you just know how much it will cost....

I work in a larger market (I commute 30 miles each way) - I do my grocery shopping here, I can go to other stores after work if I really wanted to (though, any store that would have shoes I'd want would be another 10-15 miles away - in the opposite direction from home, so....) No perfect solution - reading reviews helps some but is far from foolproof, when looking at new options....

Trying to do my packing list for a long weekend trip this week - cold, potentially rainy but also potentially some dirty work (visiting my sister & BIL in their new house - they will put us to work as my husband has mad skills 😉 ) So probably 3 pairs - slip on sneakers, old sneakers, and possibly something I can wear with socks (my goretex walking shoes would work for rain and cold/socks). Not sure but I better start pulling out warmer clothing & shoes now! Temps are still summery here so I haven't needed anything warm yet..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Nope.  You know what they say about assuming.

No one ever says thank you for feedback that their communication style isn’t communicating what they think they are. We just aren’t hearing them right, lol. 

Is is there a mute feature on this board?

1 hour ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

Is is there a mute feature on this board?

It's called "Ignore". Hover your cursor over a user's name/avatar and the profile info should pop up. At the bottom of that box is a button that says "Ignore". Click it. I believe you can also do this manually within your own profile by adding usernames to a list.

• Like 2

I could do Alaska with one pair of shoes.  I'd take my waterproof trail shoes.  I could go anywhere in any weather with them.  I'd have no issue wearing them on deck to the pool, to breakfast, to the buffet, to the MDR, to a specialty restaurant.  Others may wince then they see them with my LBD, but, oh well... 😉   How my shoes fit my feet is my important thing, not how they look with what I wear...  I guess living out in the boonies helps with that - we all run around in leggings or jeans or running skorts anyway all day/night long.  

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I could do Alaska with one pair of shoes.  I'd take my waterproof trail shoes.  I could go anywhere in any weather with them.  I'd have no issue wearing them on deck to the pool, to breakfast, to the buffet, to the MDR, to a specialty restaurant.  Others may wince then they see them with my LBD, but, oh well... 😉   How my shoes fit my feet is my important thing, not how they look with what I wear...  I guess living out in the boonies helps with that - we all run around in leggings or jeans or running skorts anyway all day/night long.  

LIKE!  I think there are many of us who agree with you-no matter where we live.

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

How my shoes fit my feet is my important thing, not how they look with what I wear...  

I've edited this photo...but it is so perfect to share here.

I apologize if I've said this too many times, but I went to London with the family to take DS to college. We went to Lord Albert Hall to see Prom 69...put on BBC, they call Proms the "greatest classical music festival in the world." Anyway...a performance to Lord Albert Hall to the Czech Symphony Orchestra perform. I took this picture because we were going through Door 9...and it is only after I was looking at my photos later that I could see the woman in the photo. Notice the shoes with the dress. If you zoom in on the shoes...they are gold sneakers, maybe some mesh in there. And if you look further through the door, there is a woman wearing a suit...skirt and matching jacket also with sneakers.

RIMG2980.jpg

What I observed repeatedly in London was an allowance made for practicality. Granted...London involves a lot of walking, and so such shoes make even more sense. But any travel can involve a lot of walking...and also...as someone with a deficient knee...I am very particular about my shoes.

I do try to make choices that pay homage to the situation and my outfit. Sort of. In Alaska, I wore my Birks on formal night. Not special metallic Birks...just normal black birks.

I like this thread...I hope it doesn't deteriorate! I am a minimalist person at heart...but I consider myself such in the true sense of the word...having what you need and no more. What you need is the challenge...it isn't what you can deal with or survive with. It's what you need. Sometimes, you need more than other times...sometimes, less. The fun in planning travel wardrobes if figuring out the answer to that question with each trip.

I was thinking I was going with 2 pairs for this 2-night trip to Fort Walton Beach I'm taking next week...a newer pair of Birks I just bought on that London trip and a pair of flip flops for the beach. But the rain in the forecast is throwing me for a loop...I don't wear Birks in the rain.

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I guess living out in the boonies helps with that.

I live in the rural west, a national park gateway town where dressing up means a clean fleece jacket. I really don’t want to amass a huge wardrobe of city (and now cruise) clothes that I don’t wear for 90% of my real life. Yesterday, today, tomorrow: Duluth Trading Co cargo pants, a T-shirt, fleece or long sleeve shirt for sun, hiking boots. I did get out the nice jeans last Saturday, first occasion in a month. Dressing up isn’t a priority for my vacation choices, but I get it that some people LUV that aspect of cruising and I’m glad they can enjoy it. 

I do however covet over too many patterns of board shorts. Should I ever book that Caribbean cruise, narrowing it down is going to be harder than shoes!

Edited by Ann_on_the_road
Spelling