Three pair of shoes for Alaska

4 hours ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

I live in the rural west, a national park gateway town where dressing up means a clean fleece jacket. I really don’t want to amass a huge wardrobe of city (and now cruise) clothes that I don’t wear for 90% of my real life. Yesterday, today, tomorrow: Duluth Trading Co cargo pants, a T-shirt, fleece or long sleeve shirt for sun, hiking boots. I did get out the nice jeans last Saturday, first occasion in a month. Dressing up isn’t a priority for my vacation choices, but I get it that some people LUV that aspect of cruising and I’m glad they can enjoy it. 

I do however covet over too many patterns of board shorts. Should I ever book that Caribbean cruise, narrowing it down is going to be harder than shoes!

Kanab or Springdale or Hurricane?  Big Water???   I'll be passing by on my road trip in a few weeks: Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, Bear Ears, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Zion, and back home.  Solo camping time!  I  was going to do 16 weeks, but my boss is taking vacation at the same time so I can't be away that long.  Only doing 10 days...

Clean fleece jacket!!  That reminded me I have to get out my Monkey Woman fleece and get it washed.  I'll just wear my 

new Athleta hoody tomorrow - it's only going to be 40.   And, I have to put my Patagonia through the wash before my trip.  How are those Duluth cargo pants?  I keep looking at them, but never pulled the trigger.  And, Salt Lake City is getting a Duluth Trading Co brick & mortar store next month!!!  Could be deadly for me.  Between the Patagonia and Marmot outlet stores here, REI, and Duluth, it could be an expensive proposition!  

Oh - my Merrell boots came today!  And, surprise! it came with a free tie dye trucker hat!!!   I'm going to try them out tomorrow - I'll let you know how they are.  The toe box in bare feet seemed just right for my toe - not too big, but not too angled.  I'll probably have to put a piece of moleskin over the bottom of the metal plate at my ankle bone - the metal sticks out a little and the skin around it gets irritated easily with rubbing of shoes.  I have to do that with every active shoe I have, anyway.  

Board shorts - have you looked at Birdwell Britches???  Been around for decades.  Excellent board shorts!

34 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Get the Duluth cargo pants! They are fantastic.

Do you have the Fire Hose, the Flexpledition or the Dry on the Fly?  I can use another pair of cargoes: when I went to pull out my pants for my last camping trip the other month, they were all way too big (One of the positives of being deathly sick all last winter). I luckily quickly found a pair of Columbia pants on the Backcountry.com site on sale (living 1/2 mile from the HQ and within 45 minutes of the shipping warehouse means I get next day without paying for it!!!).  

I notice us "Western women" have similar styles - foot of the Sawtooths in Idaho, Red rock country in So. Utah, Wasatch Mts in Utah, Colorado Springs...    jeans, cargoes, leggings, T-shirts, boots and fleece!!!  If I put on my Swarovski necklace and earrings, would I pass on formal night??? 😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Do you have the Fire Hose, the Flexpledition or the Dry on the Fly? 

I bought the Fire Hose for fall/winter/spring and then got lighter Dry on the Fly for summer.  I also got a pair of DotF Capri for really hot weather, which we did not have this year, never broke 90 once. 

Fit it is the same, AFAIK. DotF not as soft as my best Ex Officios, better than later versions.  If I’m doing a heavy chore day, the Fire Hose are better, but I did take the DotF to Alaska and they were great. Fit was consistent enough that when at the last minute I decided I need3d some dark wash jeans for the cruise, I ordered them with no time to exchange. Love that they sell different inseams. 

while on gear, and esp foot related gear, I have replaced all my daily wear socks with Dran Tough cushioned hikers and do not regret the expense at all.

that sound you hear is the Duluth Trading Co brick and mortar in SLC sucking all available cash out of my wallet. Yikes! DH wears their pants too, really likes the lined ones for winter.

Interest level in a thread on gear wardrobe recommendations.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Kanab or Springdale or Hurricane?  Big Water???   I'll be passing by on my road trip in a few weeks: Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, Bear Ears, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Zion, and back home.  Solo camping time!  I  was going to do 16 weeks, but my boss is taking vacation at the same time so I can't be away that long.  Only doing 10 days...

Board shorts - have you looked at Birdwell Britches???  Been around for decades.  Excellent board shorts!

That’s a lot of ground to cover in 10 days! If you can get into a photographer’s tour of Antelope, you’ll get more time there. Kanab is improving its food scene, heard there’s a good bakery there now. We like the Flying V for a nice meal when driving through. Heard there’s a good restaurant in Bluff we need to check out too. Also check what’s up with the deer hunt if you dry camp, plenty of yahoos out there in a couple weeks. Some of the nicest people I know are hunters, don’t get me wrong. But I’ve seen some  testosterone-fueled crazy out there too.

Not quite ready to link CC with my real life, DM for exact location, lol. 

Off to to look at more board shorts. I should get back outside and work while we have daylight but I’m going for some retail imaginary therapy first

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

I bought the Fire Hose for fall/winter/spring and then got lighter Dry on the Fly for summer.  I also got a pair of DotF Capri for really hot weather, which we did not have this year, never broke 90 once. 

Fit it is the same, AFAIK. DotF not as soft as my best Ex Officios, better than later versions.  If I’m doing a heavy chore day, the Fire Hose are better, but I did take the DotF to Alaska and they were great. Fit was consistent enough that when at the last minute I decided I need3d some dark wash jeans for the cruise, I ordered them with no time to exchange. Love that they sell different inseams. 

while on gear, and esp foot related gear, I have replaced all my daily wear socks with Dran Tough cushioned hikers and do not regret the expense at all.

that sound you hear is the Duluth Trading Co brick and mortar in SLC sucking all available cash out of my wallet. Yikes! DH wears their pants too, really likes the lined ones for winter.

Interest level in a thread on gear wardrobe recommendations.

That sucking sound is coming from the East of SLC, too!!!  I have until the 29th to get another pair of pants, so I may just try Duluth.  The Fire Hose may be too intense for travel, but I am intrigued by both the DotF and the Flexpeditions.  Slim fit for me as I have no "junk in the trunk" to fill out regular pants anymore...

I have some Darn Tough socks, too.  I also buy SmartWool and Wright Socks, so I'm used to those $16-$25/pair socks. I have to be mindful of how much padding the socks have at the toe - my left big toe can't handle much padding at all. 

I do chuckle that we're on the Fashion and Beauty forum and we're talking about clothes and boots for getting down and dirty!!!  I'm not sure that ladies here would go for a "gear wardrobe" thread.  Every time a thread comes up with "what to take on Alaska cruise", it still ends up with plastic ponchos and tennis shoes and sweatshirts.  Mostly because, like the opposite of us Western Women, they won't be using it past the cruise.  Me - I won't buy a dress just for a cruise because I won't wear it again...

Speaking of - I've got to do my monthly trek down the mountain tomorrow and hit up REI and Trader Joe's for some last-minute camp necessities...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

That’s a lot of ground to cover in 10 days! If you can get into a photographer’s tour of Antelope, you’ll get more time there. Kanab is improving its food scene, heard there’s a good bakery there now. We like the Flying V for a nice meal when driving through. Heard there’s a good restaurant in Bluff we need to check out too. Also check what’s up with the deer hunt if you dry camp, plenty of yahoos out there in a couple weeks. Some of the nicest people I know are hunters, don’t get me wrong. But I’ve seen some  testosterone-fueled crazy out there too.

Off to to look at more board shorts. I should get back outside and work while we have daylight but I’m going for some retail imaginary therapy first

37 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I notice us "Western women" have similar styles - foot of the Sawtooths in Idaho, Red rock country in So. Utah, Wasatch Mts in Utah, Colorado Springs...    jeans, cargoes, leggings, T-shirts, boots and fleece!!!  If I put on my Swarovski necklace and earrings, would I pass on formal night??? 😉

And then I see a French woman tourist in similar gear at our local coffee shop, with a perfect scarf over it all that makes it look stylish. How, I do not know. One day I will stop and ask one of them how she learned to do that. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

I blew the first reply - it timed out when I went to the kitchen for some food...

Ladies - sorry for taking this one off-topic.  Forgive me!

Flying V in Kanab - definitely going through Kanab.  I'll remember that one,. 

I'm doing a photographer's tour.  Got my DLSR all dusted off and my tripod among my gear.  

Yes, it's a lot of ground, but with the stops I'm doing, I've got the two long drives on the first and last day, with maybe 3 hours between my stops.   I'm used to driving long distances alone.  I'm thinking of it kind of like a land "cruise" - getting to see a little of a lot.  I wish I had more time, but the boss won't approve..

Yeah, deer hunt.  I'm not going to dry camp - I'm sticking to where I'll have others around (safety for an old woman).  but, I will haul out my flame hat - I think it's in my big backpack.  My younger co-workers think I'm crazy for doing this trip.  They've been coddled... 😉

• Like 4

Dry on the Fly are my go-to hiking and adventure travel pants. I adore them.

Grab a blaze orange vest before you head out. They should be selling the things all over the place. A little extra visibility is a really good thing this time of year.

I shop first for what is going to work for me at home. What I'll wear when walking the dogs, tending the goats, attending business casual meetings (Boise isn't exactly formal), and the occasional dressy occasion.  I have a rain jacket, a down vest to layer under it, a down coat for when it's really cold, and light wool sweaters to layer as needed.  Same with the bottoms - tights, leggings, thin pants, and waterproof pants to layer up and down as necessary.  Everything I buy is machine washable, and I don't iron. So right from the start most of my clothes are travel ready. It's just a matter of whittling them down. My favorite souvenirs are the things I buy along the way because I forgot to bring them. Gloves. A warm hat. A pair of shoes I bought when my feet were *done*.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Dry on the Fly are my go-to hiking and adventure travel pants. I adore them.

Grab a blaze orange vest before you head out. They should be selling the things all over the place. A little extra visibility is a really good thing this time of year.

I shop first for what is going to work for me at home. What I'll wear when walking the dogs, tending the goats, attending business casual meetings (Boise isn't exactly formal), and the occasional dressy occasion.  I have a rain jacket, a down vest to layer under it, a down coat for when it's really cold, and light wool sweaters to layer as needed.  Same with the bottoms - tights, leggings, thin pants, and waterproof pants to layer up and down as necessary.  Everything I buy is machine washable, and I don't iron. So right from the start most of my clothes are travel ready. It's just a matter of whittling them down. My favorite souvenirs are the things I buy along the way because I forgot to bring them. Gloves. A warm hat. A pair of shoes I bought when my feet were *done*.

I've never had a blaze vest - I've had my blaze bucket hat for years.  I need it just around my neighborhood. Maybe I'll pick up a vest over at Walmart - I can aways wear it with my construction hat and overalls for Halloween...

Wore my boots all day today - no pain, no rubs.  The toe box didn't seem especially wide, it does an angle.  I was wearing a pair of my Wright Socks, nothing thick and it was perfect.  They seemed nice and lightweight!  My big toe was happy (well, as happy it it can be with feeling asleep all the time) and my outside ankle bone didn't rub raw at the end of the plate.   They look more like mid height trail runners than backpacking boots, but I can definitely tell they are much more solid.  

My wardrobe is mostly like yours.  I do have to dress for work - good pants and jackets.  But, those only see the light of day when I'm going to work.   Hey - your goats - do you raise them for the milk or the wool?  I've got a little farm around here that makes goat yogurt - it is sooooo good!!!

20 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Easterners use gear too 😉 But FYI, when I lived in Utah, I didn't wear cargos or fleece leggings - just not my style, no matter where I live 😉

The only time I wear fleece leggings is when I'm out snowshoeing.  My leggings are all from Athleta, Lululemon or Title Nine.  And, not all hiking pants are cargo pants...  

• Like 1

This is why I use the term "technical clothing" as that covers LOTS of styles and fabrics, which fortunately these days, come in styles to suit most of us. I don't wear leggings as pants (or outside the garden). I mentioned fleece leggings & cargoes specifically because they had been mentioned up thread. I wasn't referring to  anyone specific or even saying anything bad about them, just that they're not my personal style. And trying to prevent intermountain west discrimination by stating that other people in the world use, wear, and shop for technical clothing  😉

And I found no shoes I wanted while in Wisconsin 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, Ann_on_the_road said:

Board shorts, I kinda have my heart set on something tropical, Iike these Painted Desert 11” board shorts.  And longer cuz I’m not so young and svelte anymore.

I had those board shorts for our Hawaiian cruise & land vaca 2 weeks ago. Perfect. Think I wore them 4-5 times on excursions. I got mine at Sierra Trading Post for considerably less money

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Just looked at that site.  Fun board shorts.  And, they have a pair that goes with my new boots:

1584490027_ScreenShot2019-10-16at10_55_00AM.png.a210fde3e6e3dbbade7dd643b34a00c2.png

:classic_biggrin:

Fun!  

I won’t be cruising in the Caribbean for at least 15 months, so I have plenty of time to plan my fantasy wardrobe. It is at least a size smaller, for one, lol. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, awhfy said:

I had those board shorts for our Hawaiian cruise & land vaca 2 weeks ago. Perfect. Think I wore them 4-5 times on excursions. I got mine at Sierra Trading Post for considerably less money

I’m sure I can find something cheaper, but when I have fantasized about them since high school, I might just splurge anyway 😁

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, slidergirl said:

I am green with envy! Your road trip covers some of my favorite places in the whole world and you are doing it the perfect way. No cruise can come close. Have a wonderful time.

We drove to Alaska, cruised many times, last cruise was with one pair of shoes. Wore New Balance black leather sneakers, will do the same next summer.

My Eccos walking shoes suffered a blowout in Juneau.  The whole sole disintegrated on both shoes, I did get good use out of them for 8 years.  Of course, these were my only closed toe shoes that cruise.

Just booked a 10 day Land/cruise southbound Alaska to Vancouver Aug 16  2020 on the Coral Princess.  Although I have cruised before, but I've never been to Alaska.  I live an active outdoorsy lifestyle in Southern New Jersey along the Coast.  I have plenty of clothing that will do well on this trip.  One thing I was unsure about was footwear!  Imagine my glee at finding a thread on shoes!  Since it's flat in NJ, most of my hiking, running, biking etc is done wearing regular athletic shoes, which I think I'll bring.  But I think I should also get a pair of hiking boots for the trip.  Any suggestions for waterproof, lightweight ones would be appreciated.  I'm thinking a pair of flats to wear on board to dinner etc then flip flops for around the cabin, to the pool.  Is the atmosphere casual on board since it's Alaska?  Still smart casual for dining?  I've been reading that the weather will vary and was wondering what I can expect in August?.

Also FYI, just got back from 10 days in Italy (Venice and Tropea )and took 4 pairs of shoes....I wore a pair of slip on athletic type sketchers in the plane and wore these most days.  I had a dressier black pair of sketchers, a pair of low heeled wedge Clark sandals and flip flops.  The choices were perfect since I could switch on/off with the 2 pairs of sketchers, the wedges at night and flip flops to the beach in Tropea and around the apt.  

It's been fun reading the thread and I loved the tie dye hiking boots!!!

These were fabulous all over Scotland - hiking, walking through muddy battle fields, poking through castle ruins, walking miles on cobblestone streets in the rain...

And the color in real life is dark enough to not stand out at all when wearing them in cities.

https://www.zappos.com/p/dansko-paisley/product/8722031

14 hours ago, southjerseyboatgirl said:

Just booked a 10 day Land/cruise southbound Alaska to Vancouver Aug 16  2020 on the Coral Princess.  Although I have cruised before, but I've never been to Alaska.  I live an active outdoorsy lifestyle in Southern New Jersey along the Coast.  I have plenty of clothing that will do well on this trip.  One thing I was unsure about was footwear!  Imagine my glee at finding a thread on shoes!  Since it's flat in NJ, most of my hiking, running, biking etc is done wearing regular athletic shoes, which I think I'll bring.  But I think I should also get a pair of hiking boots for the trip.  Any suggestions for waterproof, lightweight ones would be appreciated.  I'm thinking a pair of flats to wear on board to dinner etc then flip flops for around the cabin, to the pool.  Is the atmosphere casual on board since it's Alaska?  Still smart casual for dining?  I've been reading that the weather will vary and was wondering what I can expect in August?.

Also FYI, just got back from 10 days in Italy (Venice and Tropea )and took 4 pairs of shoes....I wore a pair of slip on athletic type sketchers in the plane and wore these most days.  I had a dressier black pair of sketchers, a pair of low heeled wedge Clark sandals and flip flops.  The choices were perfect since I could switch on/off with the 2 pairs of sketchers, the wedges at night and flip flops to the beach in Tropea and around the apt.  

It's been fun reading the thread and I loved the tie dye hiking boots!!!

I'm loving my tie dye boots! No issues with them so far wearing them around town...

For Alaska, you probably don't need a pair of hiking boots.  If you want, look at low hiking/approach shoes.  You can get post-cruise wear out of them at home as they aren't boots.  All the major brands have them - vented, water-resistant, waterproof,  light, heavy.   Right now, I am using my Keen Voyageurs that I bought a few years ago and put away for "future" use (if I find something I like, I'll buy 2 pair and save 1).  My Solomon Synapse just gave up the ghost after years of use.  Merrell has some good low shoes - the MOAB series is good.  

I wish I could go back to Italy this year - I feel so comfortable there.  But, alas, that has to wait for awhile.