Info on Celebrity

OK, all you knowledgeable people. DW & I will celebrate 40th wedding anniversary, and 10th cruise anniversary in Apr 2021 & are looking at Solstice 4-Apr 2021. I know we will love the ship based on everything we've heard & the GBR itinerary fits, as we honeymooned there & went on 1st cruise there. And only a balcony will do for such an occasion šŸ™‚

Ā 

We have never been on Celebrity so have some queries:

- we are Diamond on RCI and see we get reciprocity, so what does that entail

- on X website it offers 'select your perk' so advice on that please

- also seems only non-refundable deposit - Apr 2021 is a long way off

- offered ' we select your room' but then nominated a cabin # which was listed on Deck 6 partial obstruction

Ā 

Please help

Solstice is a lovely ship, we've enjoyed three great cruises on her. However on our last cruise they had pumped up the sound volume to uncomfortable levels (in our opinion). Announcements that you usually can't hear in your cabin were clearly audible and the sound from the various entertainers in the Passport Bar, Ensemble Bar and Sky Lounge was piped through the overhead speakers in those places as well as the speakers around where they playĀ  so there were no quieter spots to sit.

Ā 

We like deck 7 midships, a few cabins forward of the lifts. Being that one deck higher means you don't have lifeboat stuff immediately below your balcony.

Ā 

Solstice cabins alternate bed by bathroom or bed by balcony. The ones with squares or triangles are bed by bathroom which allows you to sit on the sofa by the balcony but is more awkward for wardrobe access and dressing. Bed by balcony makes the cabinĀ feel more spacious to us but you have to sit on the bed to look out to sea.

Ā 

The balconies are lovely and the balcony chairs are fairly comfortable.

Ā 

Celebrity have changed their pricing. If you choose one perk it's cheaper but a non- refundable deposit, you pay more for a refundable deposit but that also includes more perks. I don't like the new pricing, I preferred the old system where all deposits were refundable and you could select how many perks you wanted at the various prices. Gratuities are included on all Australian fares so the only perks are drinks, internet and OBC. We never bother with internet on a port intensive itinerary.

Ā 

The MDR food is very good and the wines available under the premium package (which includes the classic package wines as well) are also very good and cover all tastes.

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

OK, all you knowledgeable people. DW & I will celebrate 40th wedding anniversary, and 10th cruise anniversary in Apr 2021 & are looking at Solstice 4-Apr 2021. I know we will love the ship based on everything we've heard & the GBR itinerary fits, as we honeymooned there & went on 1st cruise there. And only a balcony will do for such an occasion šŸ™‚

Ā 

We have never been on Celebrity so have some queries:

- we are Diamond on RCI and see we get reciprocity, so what does that entail

- on X website it offers 'select your perk' so advice on that please

- also seems only non-refundable deposit - Apr 2021 is a long way off

- offered ' we select your room' but then nominated a cabin # which was listed on Deck 6 partial obstruction

Ā 

Please help

Good move, It is still my favourite ship.

Diamond on Royal is Elite on X.Ā https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/exclusive-offers/loyalty-reciprocity-program

Make sure they know so you can get the benefits, you may need to call them.Ā https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

Probably the best things for Elites, are the priority boarding and tenderingĀ  along with the Elite lounge each evening. Normally, the lounge is open from around 5pm-7.30pm has a selection of free drinks and canapes.Ā  There is also 90 mins of internet but can be used in 1 minute segments if you want (until Diamond's 24 hr consecutively). There is also laundry, and discounts.Ā 

Ā 

The perks offered are usually Classic drink package, OBC, gratuities, internet. As gratuities should be included, we would normally take the drink packages just for the convenience. Ā 

I prefer to pick my own cabin on deck 7 or 8.

I agree with kiwi, deck 7 seemed perfect to us, 6 has a bit more obstructions. A lovely ship we will certainly go onĀ again, in fact we did have a booking for next January but switched to Radiance of the Seas as it saved a week of her LSL and a few K. But I have no debt we will be back, canā€™t help with the loyalty level stuff.

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Good move, It is still my favourite ship.

Diamond on Royal is Elite on X.Ā https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/exclusive-offers/loyalty-reciprocity-program

Make sure they know so you can get the benefits, you may need to call them.Ā https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

Probably the best things for Elites, are the priority boarding and tenderingĀ  along with the Elite lounge each evening. Normally, the lounge is open from around 5pm-7.30pm has a selection of free drinks and canapes.Ā  There is also 90 mins of internet but can be used in 1 minute segments if you want (until Diamond's 24 hr consecutively). There is also laundry, and discounts.Ā 

Ā 

The perks offered are usually Classic drink package, OBC, gratuities, internet. As gratuities should be included, we would normally take the drink packages just for the convenience. Ā 

I prefer to pick my own cabin on deck 7 or 8.

Wow, so after my Royal cruises I have booked I will be Elite on X.

Ā 

Local cruises as gratuities are included, the perks don't include that as it's redundant.

Ā 

The highest "value" one is the drinks package, though up to you for value. Note that in about a week there will be an additional charge (~$20/person/day) for the drinks package, so either book soon if you want that, or weigh off the benefits/cost if booking later.

Re selecting your state room: if you click onto the deck plan and click on another rooms that interest you, you will see the fare relevant to that room. You can switch decks etc. Can't help on the loyalty status sorry. For us the double OBC offer is best, leaves us flexible right up to the actual sailing as to whether we are spending it on drinks, internet, tours or other miscellaneous items. Totally up to you though, and I agree that the drinks package seems the best value perk.

I just got back from an extended long weekend down on Sapphire Coast, so just back 'on-line' again. Thanks to all for your replies - I understand much better now šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

I will take a further look with all this in mind.

Ā 

Cheers

25 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I just got back from an extended long weekend down on Sapphire Coast, so just back 'on-line' again. Thanks to all for your replies - I understand much better now šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers

Hope you enjoyed your trip and I am sure you will love Solstice.

49 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers

She arrives on Friday.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Hope you enjoyed your trip and I am sure you will love Solstice.

Had a great weekend staying at Merimbula, visited Wallagoot, Tathra, Pambula, Eden, Bega. Went down coast from Sydney passing by Uncle Les & came back thru Cooma, ACT & Goulburn, so passed by Mic et all. This was a 'test' for our idea of retirement roadtrips interspersed with cruises of course šŸ™‚Ā 

Still working on the Solstice plan for Apr 2021.

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Had a great weekend staying at Merimbula, visited Wallagoot, Tathra, Pambula, Eden, Bega. Went down coast from Sydney passing by Uncle Les & came back thru Cooma, ACT & Goulburn, so passed by Mic et all. This was a 'test' for our idea of retirement roadtrips interspersed with cruises of course šŸ™‚Ā 

Still working on the Solstice plan for Apr 2021.

You should have dropped in on Old Uncle Les, I make a road trip or two each year up to Lismore, but I then have to factor in a week or so to recover, more reason to book more cruises I guess.

OK, I did a mock booking. The best rate is the non-refundable, but if I am reading correctly it is just $100pp to cancel, the balance of the deposit is 'refunded' as FCC to be used within 12 months.

Ā 

My biggest issue, is yes the fare includes $100 OBC pp (current offer) +Ā Classic Beverage Package + $150pp OBC + $150pp OBC. If we already have drink package, which we wouldn't normally purchase, what would we spend $800 OBC on?

Ā 

I have a booking for Verandah cabin #6193 on courtesy hold, but not sure what to do??

On ā€Ž10ā€Ž/ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž2019 at 3:31 PM, mr walker said:

OK, I did a mock booking. The best rate is the non-refundable, but if I am reading correctly it is just $100pp to cancel, the balance of the deposit is 'refunded' as FCC to be used within 12 months.

Ā 

My biggest issue, is yes the fare includes $100 OBC pp (current offer) +Ā Classic Beverage Package + $150pp OBC + $150pp OBC. If we already have drink package, which we wouldn't normally purchase, what would we spend $800 OBC on?

Ā 

Ā 

Spa, excursions, shopping, gambling. Lots of options.

19 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Ā 

Spa, excursions, shopping, gambling. Lots of options.

Ā 

Yes, you are correct of course. We never use spa, and not too much shopping either, and I never thought of using OBC for gambling. My concern was that since we reached Diamond on RC, our total daily onboard spend maxes out at maybe $50 per day between the 2 of us, and that includes some bingo! And we will get some free drinks for Elite equivalency.

Yes I see now that the OBC that came as promotion is available for shore excursions etc already online. Not sure about the bonus OBC that came as 2 of the 3 perks [CBP was the other]. When does that show up? Maybe not until onboard??

Anyway, good problem to have šŸ™‚Ā 

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

Ā 

Yes, you are correct of course. We never use spa, and not too much shopping either, and I never thought of using OBC for gambling. My concern was that since we reached Diamond on RC, our total daily onboard spend maxes out at maybe $50 per day between the 2 of us, and that includes some bingo! And we will get some free drinks for Elite equivalency.

Yes I see now that the OBC that came as promotion is available for shore excursions etc already online. Not sure about the bonus OBC that came as 2 of the 3 perks [CBP was the other]. When does that show up? Maybe not until onboard??

Anyway, good problem to have šŸ™‚Ā 

Any OBC whether it be perk or promotion, should be showing, and be able to be spent pre cruise, dinner packages or shorex, etc.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, MicCanberra said:

Any OBC whether it be perk or promotion, should be showing, and be able to be spent pre cruise, dinner packages or shorex, etc.

On the emailed booking confirmation it is showing just the US$100 pp "Sale Now" OBC. I printed a copy of my booking when I put it on courtesy hold which showed the 3 perks I had selected. I have emailed them on this.