Fairsky to Fairstar Help needed please

Hi Brainstrust,

I was booked on the Fairsky for a cruise in June/July 1977. As we all know she was put out of commission

in June 1977 thanks to a wreck. I was transferred to the Fairstar as a replacement cruise in July 1977 from

memory. Does anyone know which was the cruise info for that cruise? If you have any info on dates, destinations or

length of cruise it would be most helpful. 

I'm afraid like many passengers on that cruise it's all a bit fuzzy and I didn't keep any memorabilia to jog the memory.

Over to you guys.....

Thanks,

Leon 

I hope you receive some responses to your post.  I don't recall Fairstar having sailed in North American waters.  Fairwind and Fairsea as well as a newer vessel called Fairsky did sail in North American waters.  Fairsky did have some engine difficulties, as I recall, but I don't remember the time frame.

I see you are a new member to Cruise Critic.  Welcome!

• Like 1

RKA is correct.  Fairwind and Fairsea were the two ships in American service in 1977.  Fairsky did not appear until the 1984...and was sold to Princess when Princess bought Sitmar in 1988 and was renamed Sky Princess.  I believe Leon was transferred from Fairwind to Fairsea or vice versa.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RKA is correct.  Fairwind and Fairsea were the two ships in American service in 1977.  Fairsky did not appear until the 1984...and was sold to Princess when Princess bought Sitmar in 1988 and was renamed Sky Princess.  I believe Leon was transferred from Fairwind to Fairsea or vice versa.  

This is the best news I have had all day!  My memory is still intact!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Rkacruiser and cgtnormandie,

Thanks you for your replies.

The Fairsky and Fairstar worked mainly out of Sydney Australia doing booze cruises of the South Pacific. I don't think either of them worked any of the American ports. The Fairsky had an incident with a submerged wreck which holed it and rendered it uneconomical to repair.

I was booked on the next cruise of the Fairsky so I was moved (along with all the other bookings) to the Fairstar's cruise to the South Pacific in July/August 1977. Needing the info on that cruise if anyone can find it??

Thanks,

Leon

Thank you for the welcome too.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:15 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Related, but does not address your question...I was on the Sky Princess in 1990 and it was wonderful.  A true ocean liner experience and the last steam ship operated under Princess in North America.

Ahh, I am showing my age!  I hope you find all you seek regarding your request.

Have a blessed evening,

Marne

On 10/8/2019 at 1:03 AM, marne001 said:

I was on the Sky Princess in 1990 and it was wonderful.  A true ocean liner experience and the last steam ship operated under Princess in North America.

A bit of envy on my part because when Sitmar introduced her, I was very interested and hoped to sail on her.  As Sky Princess, her schedule and my schedule never intersected and I lost that opportunity.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, LLeon said:

Hi Rkacruiser and cgtnormandie,

Thanks you for your replies.

The Fairsky and Fairstar worked mainly out of Sydney Australia doing booze cruises of the South Pacific. I don't think either of them worked any of the American ports. The Fairsky had an incident with a submerged wreck which holed it and rendered it uneconomical to repair.

I was booked on the next cruise of the Fairsky so I was moved (along with all the other bookings) to the Fairstar's cruise to the South Pacific in July/August 1977. Needing the info on that cruise if anyone can find it??

Thanks,

Leon

Thank you for the welcome too.

Mystery solved Leon!  You were in Australia!!  The Fairsky I and Fairstar were the lesser of the Sitmar fleet.  I believe they were employed as migrant transports from UK to Australia and subsequently went into cruising.  

Related, but does not address your question...I was on the Sky Princess in 1990 and it was wonderful.  A true ocean liner experience and the last steam ship operated under Princess in North America.

Have a blessed evening,

Marne

Hi Marne,

You were on the Fairsky II which was a new ship when you sailed on her...and was later sold to Princess.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Mystery solved Leon!  You were in Australia!!  The Fairsky I and Fairstar were the lesser of the Sitmar fleet.  I believe they were employed as migrant transports from UK to Australia and subsequently went into cruising.  

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Marne,

You were on the Fairsky II which was a new ship when you sailed on her...and was later sold to Princess.  

Great research CGTNORMANDIE!  I never knew that there had been a Fairsky I.  Thanks for the information!

• 1 month later...
On October 18, 2019 at 7:38 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Marne,

On October 19, 2019 at 5:09 PM, rkacruiser said:

Great research CGTNORMANDIE!  I never knew that there had been a Fairsky I.  Thanks for the information!

My picture was taken with the vessel behind me by my BFF and the name painted on it was "SKY PRINCESS".  I will post the photo when I can find it...Harvey made us move and photos are mostly still boxed.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, marne001 said:

My picture was taken with the vessel behind me by my BFF and the name painted on it was "SKY PRINCESS".  I will post the photo when I can find it...Harvey made us move and photos are mostly still boxed.

That would be correct.  The ship was built by Sitmar in 1984 and named Fairsky.  When she was sold to Princess the named changed to Sky Princess.  

• 1 month later...

Hi LLeon,

Fairsky operated together with Fairstar exclusively cruises for the Australian market at this time. (1977)

As  a superb outfitted “emigrant carrier” she was ideal suited  for budget cruises from Australia and was very popular together with her running mate Fairstar.

A good shipreport about the Fairsky here:

https://ssmaritime.com/sitmar2.htm

and the detailed end here:

https://ssmaritime.com/sitmar-fairsky-june-1977.htm

Unfortunately I started collecting Sitmar Brochures from 1976 for the North American market and from  1979 for the Australian market so I don´t have any schedule for your planed Fairsky cruise 1977.

In the “Endreport” they mentioned she was on a cruise  between Darwin and Singapore.

Unfortunately too,  Sitmar never replaced her with another ship and CTC Lines fill the gap with chartered Soviet Liners in the Australian high seasons.

The next planed Fairsky´s – (ex Principe Perfeito - which never got rebuilt – and the newbuilding) where planed both for the North American market – left Fairstar a lonesome runner down under.

Best Regards

Frank

copyright deckplan Fairsky by SSMaritime

image.thumb.jpeg.5a0453c7c36926a1601dfdd41a4529b1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Have a blessed evening,

Marne

Ha - love hearing all the Sitmar names!!!  Absolutely showing my age - however - I can attest I was a teenager when cruising on the Fairwind, Fairsea and the eventual Fairsky before moving to RCCL and Sitmar being purchased by Princess.  I am returning to Princess for the first time in May - excited to return but wow - this thread has brought back some memories!