Dress Code

disaffron6

My Husband and I are off on our first cruise for 15 years and wondered about the dress code. We are going on the Mediterranean cruise on Silver Spirit next Tuesday and are pleased to say that there is only one formal night as we prefer casual. It is stated that shoes should be low heal  - do people stick to this guideline or am I going to see lots of people in high heels ? 

I personally prefer casual trousers and tops - will this be dressy enough for the casual evenings. Any other tit-bits of info on this trip would be much appreciated as I am flying in the dark !

2 hours ago, disaffron6 said:

My Husband and I are off on our first cruise for 15 years and wondered about the dress code. We are going on the Mediterranean cruise on Silver Spirit next Tuesday and are pleased to say that there is only one formal night as we prefer casual. It is stated that shoes should be low heal  - do people stick to this guideline or am I going to see lots of people in high heels ? 

I personally prefer casual trousers and tops - will this be dressy enough for the casual evenings. Any other tit-bits of info on this trip would be much appreciated as I am flying in the dark !

Hi and welcome😃 you wear whatever heels you want and I wear slacks every night. I am not sure why they are telling you what heel height to wear. Makes no sense to me at all.

For formal night I have dressy pants with nice top, some jewelry and normally black flats or sandals. I am not a high heel gal but there are still women who wear them.

Hope you have a great cruise😃

6 hours ago, disaffron6 said:

We are going on the Mediterranean cruise on Silver Spirit next Tuesday and are pleased to say that there is only one formal night as we prefer casual. It is stated that shoes should be low heal ...

Think of it as being for your safety.  High heels and a moving ship aren't always compatible when you are trying to walk around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Think of it as being for your safety.  High heels and a moving ship aren't always compatible when you are trying to walk around.

I agree with you but many women do wear heels.

8 hours ago, disaffron6 said:

We are going on the Mediterranean cruise on Silver Spirit next Tuesday and are pleased to say that there is only one formal night as we prefer casual.

Disaffron6,

All formal nights in the Med are optional.  So, since you prefer casual, there is no need to dress formally on SS in the Med.

Mrs K gave up the high heels on ships a number of years ago.  With the long silky skirt and a couple of fancy tops she packs for formal nights no need to pack the high heels.   As for Silversea suggesting no high heels that’s a pretty standard suggestion across most cruise lines.

This is the dress code from the Silversea website. Wear high heels in the evening at your own risk. I've never seen a lot of high heels on any cruise. Depending on sea conditions, they wouldn't be a good idea, and I already have too many shoes taking up room in my luggage.

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and
Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to
dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

If it is cold in the evenings in Alaska - we are aiming to eat in La Terrazza on any formal night, so we are informal or casual every night - is it ok to wear a smart cardigan over my dress, and for my husband to wear a jumper over his shirt and under his royal blue jacket? I am not aiming to take jewellery on 3 weeks round Alaska - except my wedding ring and watch.

5 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If it is cold in the evenings in Alaska - we are aiming to eat in La Terrazza on any formal night, so we are informal or casual every night - is it ok to wear a smart cardigan over my dress, and for my husband to wear a jumper over his shirt and under his royal blue jacket? I am not aiming to take jewellery on 3 weeks round Alaska - except my wedding ring and watch.

totally fine

• Like 1

23 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Formal nights are optional in Alaska anyway, so you do not have to eat in La Terrazza if you do not want to dress up.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:52 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Disaffron6,

All formal nights in the Med are optional.  So, since you prefer casual, there is no need to dress formally on SS in the Med.

Stumblefoot - but if you’re not dressed appropriately, you may not be allowed in the MDR; or has that changed.

3 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Stumblefoot - but if you’re not dressed appropriately, you may not be allowed in the MDR; or has that changed.

Correct Mitz.  It has changed in the Med as all 7-night voyages, formal is now optional.  So, on formal night, folks can choose to dress up (we still like to dress to the nines), or informal, or casual.

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Correct Mitz.  It has changed in the Med as all 7-night voyages, formal is now optional.  So, on formal night, folks can choose to dress up (we still like to dress to the nines), or informal, or casual.

Thanks - did not realize that.  No restriction on dining option?  (we also like to dress up so to speak.)

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, SWFLAOK said:

This is the dress code from the Silversea website. Wear high heels in the evening at your own risk. I've never seen a lot of high heels on any cruise. Depending on sea conditions, they wouldn't be a good idea, and I already have too many shoes taking up room in my luggage.

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and
Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to
dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

This is the published dress code, so there should be no guessing involved.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 1:09 AM, SWFLAOK said:

But what if they're Ferragamo heels? Some things are worth risking going overboard for. 

I Recently disembarked the Shadow after a 12 night cruise..Venice to Rome. On informal nights men without jackets were discretely given a loaner jacket to wear. All but one man pleasantly complied. The  odd man out was a defiant teenage 70 year old,. He grabbed the jacket and, in a showy huff, went to a table, immediately took it off and hung it on the back of his chair. Charming.

So there is a dress code which is a publicized part of the Silversea experience.... What on earth is the big deal??

• Like 2

We have seen these PITAS also. I remarked that quietly and with no fanfare, these clods should be led to the least popular tables where the chairs have been pre-decorated with the loaner jackets already on the chair backs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1