Recommendations - Cape

Alto198

Hello - I'm new to this forum and am trying to look for recommendations.

I'm planning to take my parents on a cruise with Cape Liberty as a departure port. We are looking for 5-7 nights of cruising with less of a preference on the destination as long as it comes back to Cape Liberty. 

I was looking at Royal Carrbiean and NCL cruises to Bermuda with accessible rooms on those, are those cruise lines fine for people with a wheelchair? My father can barely walk so he'll be bringing his own wheelchair for this travel. If there are also recommendations on what to book in term of cabin (interior ocean suite etc.) - that'd be much appreciated. 

This is going to be the first time I'm traveling with them since his disability and would appreciate the help. 

Since your father can barely walk, the first thing you need to do is book an accessible cabin.  So the type of cabin you book may depend on what is available.  Ships have a very limited amount of accessible cabins, and they book fast.  Many people book one or two years in advance to get one.  EM

If he will only be traveling with his wheelchair, he might not need an accessible room.  However, it sounds like he could benefit from one since they have accessible bathrooms (grab bars, a seat in the shower).    The category of accessible room will depend upon budget and if he wants a balcony, window, etc (the inside rooms have no windows).   If you book an accessible room, you should do it sooner rather than later because they go fast

I assume there is someone traveling with him who can push his wheelchair?   Cruse ships are huge and some of the docks getting from the ship to the port stop are very long. 

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian are both great for people with disabilities.   There will be many passengers with wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, etc.  You will need to advise either cruise line (or any other line for that matter) about your father's situation.   Here is the information for both Royal's and Norwegian's Access Dept:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

I have never cruised on NCL, but I did the 5-night to Bermuda on Anthem this past summer.  I use a mobility scooter to get around, so I booked an accessible cabin. For me, an accessible cabin is necessary. Bermuda was easy to navigate.  I booked a private tour with a company that specializes in accessible transportation.  I drove my scooter up the ramp in the back of the van, and then had a several hour tour of the islands.  The next day, I was able to navigate the scooter all around the dock area, stopping in the various shops and eateries, as well as the museum nearby.  There was also plenty to see and do on-board the ship. I never felt like my lack of mobility limited my choices. 

I agree with what others have already posted, if he needs an accessible cabin, book immediately! They really do go fast.

I wish you luck and hope that you have a most enjoyable trip, regardless of your destination and/or cruise line.

As already has been said, if someone will be pushing the wheelchair that is a lot of walking for the person doing it. You may want to rent a scooter for the time onboard. The cost is reasonable, and it will be in your room when you board. And there's no problems taking it off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Are you talking about accessible transportation from the airport to the cruise port?

From LGA to hotel (mid-town Manhattan), hotel to cruise port and then cruise port to LGA. Most services I've looked into charges $250USD before tips for the airport trip. 

Thinking of asking the taxi dispatcher @ LGA for an accessible yellow cab taxi where costs seems to be more reasonable: $50 - $70. We are just worried that we need to wait for more than an hour for an accessible one. I called the dispatcher for NYC cab accessible taxi line and they said it is pretty reliable but they don't book the LGA to Manhattan trip and asked me to talk to the dispatcher there directly. 

Also looked into Access-A-Ride (AAR) services for NYC but online review seems to suggest very slow services. 

Wondering if anyone had any experience. 

Edited by Alto198
clarity

12 minutes ago, Alto198 said:

From LGA to hotel (mid-town Manhattan), hotel to cruise port and then cruise port to LGA. Most services I've looked into charges $250USD before tips for the airport trip. 

You might check with Norwegian's access dept about accessible transportation from the cruise port to the airport.  

and here is information about their transfers to the airport (but contact their access dept regarding accessible transfers):

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/transfers-and-car-services

On 10/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, kokopelli-az said:

You might check with Norwegian's access dept about accessible transportation from the cruise port to the airport.  

and here is information about their transfers to the airport (but contact their access dept regarding accessible transfers):

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/transfers-and-car-services

Thanks. We saw that in the checkin. It's about 60 per person coming to around 180 total for 3.

I called LGA and they indicated that the dispatcher will be able to get accessible taxis and I'll be able to call the dispatch line in NYC for the other legs. Seems to be the most economical option and hopefully it works out.