Finding a Local Tour Guide When We Arrive

rescue911chick

Hello everyone! We'll be in Curacao early December (cruise ship) and I was wondering if it's like other ports of call where you can get off of the ship and find a local tour operator to take you around for a bit. We don't want anything super long or super expensive, and want to include stopping at the distillery and the Love Lock Heart. If anyone has done this successfully can you also advise how many were in your group & price per person? 

I read that it has been decorated at Christmas time, would it be done the first week of December? And if anyone has any idea of where I can locate what may be going on while we are there that would be outstanding. We will be there on a Wednesday from 1:30 pm to about 10:30 pm (I think)

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!! 

Yes, you can walk off the ship and find a local guide.  We did a 2 hour bus tour by doing just that-included a beer on the bus (!), tour around and stopped at the Curaçao distillery where we could taste a sample.  It was called Ben’s Tours and I think at the most was $20pp.

Curacao is very walkable after too.  Walk across the bridge and the “love lock heart” is just on the other side (hopefully it’s the same as what I’m thinking).  It’s a great area day and evening. 

Hopefully the Christmas decorations will be up-it’s lovely.  You might be able to google travel Curacao or something that might list events etc and say when the decorations are up.  

It is one of our favourite ports.  Have fun!

• Like 1

Irie tours is in the port area.  They take you around on an colorful open air school bus.  The tour is $25.  You can have a stop at the beach, or return to town.  At the end, they will drop you off by the bridge so you can cross the bridge into town.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rescue911chick said:

Hello everyone! We'll be in Curacao early December (cruise ship) and I was wondering if it's like other ports of call where you can get off of the ship and find a local tour operator to take you around for a bit. We don't want anything super long or super expensive, and want to include stopping at the distillery and the Love Lock Heart. If anyone has done this successfully can you also advise how many were in your group & price per person? 

I read that it has been decorated at Christmas time, would it be done the first week of December? And if anyone has any idea of where I can locate what may be going on while we are there that would be outstanding. We will be there on a Wednesday from 1:30 pm to about 10:30 pm (I think)

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!! 

Walk across the Queen Emma floating bridge and look for Casper Tours right by the tourist info booth,  $15 per person. 

The lock heart is right there as well so no need for a tour to see that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rescue911chick said:

Thank you all! Has anyone tried to do the snorkel with turtles this way? (Added on to the distillery stop etc)

We booked Irie Tours (west beach tour ) which included a stop to snorkel with the turtles (does not include the distillery though).   The water is shallow where the turtles are so I didn’t use my fins.  My son and daughter in law did though.  Was fantastic with these turtles feeding from the fishermen throwing their stuff off the dock.  

16 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We booked Irie Tours (west beach tour ) which included a stop to snorkel with the turtles (does not include the distillery though).   The water is shallow where the turtles are so I didn’t use my fins.  My son and daughter in law did though.  Was fantastic with these turtles feeding from the fishermen throwing their stuff off the dock.  

Awesome what was the cost through them? Did you have to make it a whole beach break or could you just stop for the turtle part? We live in FL so a full beach stop isn't necessary

1 hour ago, rescue911chick said:

Awesome what was the cost through them? Did you have to make it a whole beach break or could you just stop for the turtle part? We live in FL so a full beach stop isn't necessary

It’s about a 6 hour excursion with various stops so the turtle stop is just one of them.  Our family of 4 did this and enjoyed it all-but the turtle snorkel was the best part.  You could possibly rent a car and just go there?  Not sure how that would work.  I’ve attached a photo of the pier where the turtles are and a couple of photos.  Beautiful coloured turtles!  

http://irietours.com/all-west-beach-hopping

2B10148F-BAC9-43CB-9742-1663B3581E6F.jpeg

2580A114-47D2-4860-B62A-E02AAF5B9CEC.jpeg

C7C303B9-2ECC-425D-BE2B-5B1CEF27DA3C.jpeg

• Like 1

It was $65 per person.  This is their write up about locations they stop at:

The west side of the island is known for it's nature, history and incredible beaches!  Along the way our professional guide will tell you all about our Island’s rich history.

Our first stop will be at National Park Shete Boka. We’ll stay here for 45 minutes where you can walk around and enjoy the spectacular scenery of  the north shore. You have the option to visit the 'boca tabla' cave and/or watch large, unpredictable waves crush against the rocky North coast.

We then head to Playa Piskado for a 30 minute stop where you have the option to snorkel with the sea turtles or watch the local fisherman come in with the catch of the day.

Right after we will visit Playa Forti for about 10-15 minutes especially for the ones who dare to jump of the famous 45 foot ledge.

The next stop is at Kenepa Beach or the most popular and photographed beach on the Island. 

Here you have the opportunity to enjoy the breathtaking view or dive into the crystal clear blue water for 1 Hour.

Our final stop is Playa Porto Marie for 2 Hours, This beach is very well known for its incredible snorkel sites. You can also grab something to eat & drink while at the beach.

On our way back to town, we drive by the salt lakes of St. Willibrodus to check out the flamingos.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...