Penthouse Verandah or Junior Suite?

Flashman181

One thing about PS that I'm going to appreciate immensely is the extra TV in the living room area. I like to look over menus and replay lectures, etc. and sitting on a couch or in a chair is going to be much better than sitting on bed. Laundry a + as well. Whether worth the additional cost is another matter.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, helenandfrank said:

hello Flashman

We have now completed 4 Viking Ocean cruises with a 5th booked for late next year. All have been / will be in the Junior Suite category. My wife's approach to cabins is the same as her approach to hotel rooms - book the most expensive one you can afford.

More seriously .. whether you can justify the extra cost depends on perspectives. Don't fret about restaurant bookings - yes it is handy to be able to book a couple of dates prior to boarding before just about anyone else can - but you will almost always get want you want after you board if you are flexible with times etc. The laundry perk in the Junior Suite is very nice - just place your washing on the bed in the morning (inside the laundry bag provided, with paperwork completed) and it is returned the next afternoon (ie around 30 hours later) all gift wrapped in a very nice box or hanging in the wardrobe on hangers. However if you don't have included laundry the on-board self-serve laundry is easy to use and if you go early AM or late PM you are almost always able to secure a washer and / or a dryer (the day before disembarkation is often very busy so you need to be aware of these sorts of issues). You can of course take a Verandah Suite and pay for laundry - if you search this Forum you will probably find a price list or other comments on this option.

We take the Junior Suite because we love the extra space in the cabin and we love the locations (we have been in 8019 three times and 7002 once - and we have 7002 booked for next year). Deck 8 v Deck 7 is an interesting comparison. I prefer 7002 due to its location near the Explorers Lounge (access is via a door next to 7000) but my wife prefers 8019 as you can walk out the door, turn left and be out in the open air in just a few steps. How these locations compare to deck 6, 5, 4 etc I can't say. I can however highly recommend that you read as many of the topics as you can in this wonderful Forum. Obviously you have to view things through your own filter and obviously not everyone agrees with everyone else's point of view every time - but you get a good balance if you take all comments into perspective.

I'm not sure if you will book directly with Viking in Sydney or via a travel agent. There is lots of discussion re this comparison in the Forum if you do a search. We book directly.

After our first cruise I started asking the Agent for a little extra incentive from her when I rang to book another  - twice she has thrown in a complimentary Silver Spirits Package for us (she might have done that for everyone else as well - I don't know - but I do know this is a great [and valuable] perk for us). So ... don't be shy, ask if there is anything special they can offer you if you book directly.

So to answer your original question .. from a simple financial perspective it is hard to justify the extra cost, but when you take into account the space, comfort and other benefits which the Junior Suite provides we are convinced it is the best cabin for us.

I have cut back on my contributions in the Forum simply because of time constraints but if I think of anything else you might find useful I will post it.

There is an excellent overview of just about every cabin on each Viking ship somewhere in this Forum - if I can find it I will post that as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers from the Redcliffe Peninsula

Others say out in the morning back in the afternoon. Which is it?

• 3 weeks later...

Our vote is for PV. I'm wierd in that I don't mind doing laundry - find it a relaxing thing to do - even on vacation - and view it as an another opportunity to meet fellow passengers. We may change our minds after our cruise in 2023.  Our 125% voucher allowed us to book a PS2. 😉

• Like 2

Wanted to mention one perk I don’t think has been me mentioned. Usually a V or DV for us but we accepted a $200 each upgrade to a PV once. While we still had to do our own laundry we really enjoyed not having to fold it. We put it from the dryer directly into the laundry bag for the complimentary ironing.  I loved it and I suspect my fellow guests enjoyed my lack of wrinkles.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wanted to mention one perk I don’t think has been me mentioned. Usually a V or DV for us but we accepted a $200 each upgrade to a PV once. While we still had to do our own laundry we really enjoyed not having to fold it. We put it from the dryer directly into the laundry bag for the complimentary ironing.  I loved it and I suspect my fellow guests enjoyed my lack of wrinkles.

Thanks for that pointer about the complimentary ironing. Still - I can't remember the last time I ironed anything even here at home. My Mom was a big believer in what she called "hand ironing". Guess I am too. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Thanks for that pointer about the complimentary ironing. Still - I can't remember the last time I ironed anything even here at home. My Mom was a big believer in what she called "hand ironing". Guess I am too. 😉

I’m a big believer in dryer-ironing but it sure was nice to have everything ironed.  Crispy shirts were wonderful and nothing like unwrinkled undies! 😂

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m a big believer in dryer-ironing but it sure was nice to have everything ironed.  Crispy shirts were wonderful and nothing like unwrinkled undies! 😂

😊😊😊😊

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, helenandfrank said:

We take the Junior Suite because we love the extra space in the cabin and we love the locations (we have been in 8019 three times and 7002 once - and we have 7002 booked for next year). Deck 8 v Deck 7 is an interesting comparison. I prefer 7002 due to its location near the Explorers Lounge (access is via a door next to 7000) but my wife prefers 8019 as you can walk out the door, turn left and be out in the open air in just a few steps. 

Thank you for your insights re: deck 7 vs deck 8 ! 

Edited by SempreMare
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Krisval and Peregina651 for providing information on the PV  "sliders".  (Who knew??)

with room # diagram and photos.    My cruise from Hong Kong to Japan I discovered I had a room without a slider.   UGH.   Thankfully, I was able to change to a "slider" which I would prefer.  Much thanks to you both!!   I appreciate all the advice here on CC!!

• Like 1

Having traveled in both the PS and PV, we like the PS better because of the double sink in the bath, the free dry cleaning and laundry, the earlier  booking times for the spa & restaurants, the additional extra booking at the restaurants prior to the cruise, the two hour earlier access to your cabin at departure, and most of all, the easy access to the Explorer Lounge.  That said, except maybe for trips longer than 15 days, we feel that the PV cabins offer significantly better value. 

With regard to rooms with PV sliders vs. doors, we have had each and like the PV rooms with sliders significantly more than the PV rooms with doors.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Having traveled in both the PS and PV, we like the PS better because of the double sink in the bath, the free dry cleaning and laundry, the earlier  booking times for the spa & restaurants, the additional extra booking at the restaurants prior to the cruise, the two hour earlier access to your cabin at departure, and most of all, the easy access to the Explorer Lounge.  That said, except maybe for trips longer than 15 days, we feel that the PV cabins offer significantly better value. 

With regard to rooms with PV sliders vs. doors, we have had each and like the PV rooms with sliders significantly more than the PV rooms with doors.  

You left out extra TV.

10 hours ago, duquephart said:

You left out extra TV.

We aren't much of TV watchers.   One is plenty to get the menus, which we mostly get from the Viking App and the screens in the hall.   So the extra TV was not a major plus for us.   But you are right, there is an extra TV which is meaningful to some folks or they probably wouldn't have added it.

51 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

We aren't much of TV watchers.   One is plenty to get the menus, which we mostly get from the Viking App and the screens in the hall.   So the extra TV was not a major plus for us.   But you are right, there is an extra TV which is meaningful to some folks or they probably wouldn't have added it.

I like to check out tomorrows plans/menus as well as "catch up" on any lectures etc. I may be interested in and have missed. Doing so on the couch with a "free" G & T is much more comfortable than on the bed. Whether it's worth an extra $2,000 PP is a different matter.

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, SempreMare said:

Thank you for your insights re: deck 7 vs deck 8 ! 

Might have been an anomaly but we were in 8018 and were awakened by the clunking of the early morning joggers/walkers climbing and descending the stairs right outside.

One other thing to note in choosing a cabin is that the ships “usually” dock starboard in, if that matters to you.

Tom

Edited by Tom.in.nc
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, Tom.in.nc said:

Might have been an anomaly but we were in 8018 and were awakened by the clunking of the early morning joggers/walkers climbing and descending the stairs right outside.

One other thing to note in choosing a cabin is that the ships “usually” dock starboard in, if that matters to you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

May I ask how bad the clunking was? We are booked in the same cabin on the Orion and I was worried about the stair noise. Any other feedback about 8018? Thank you!

Sarah

44 minutes ago, sarahjaneb said:

Hi Tom,

May I ask how bad the clunking was? We are booked in the same cabin on the Orion and I was worried about the stair noise. Any other feedback about 8018? Thank you!

Sarah

From the newer ships, Venus and later, we never noticed to sounds at all. I think they solved the problem.

We have been in a PV.  We have booked a PS for our April cruise.

On a  River cruise we upgraded to a Veranda Suite (Jr suite).  Really enjoyed the larger bath, especially the larger shower. I had requested a shower seat.  It easily fit in the jr suite shower with plenty of room. It was great not have DH complain about the small shower with no place to sit. You may want to compare the size of the shower between the PV and PS cabins.

The other perks are nice, especially the laundry

Either cabin would be good, just enjoy the cruise.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:08 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Free ironing in a PV??? How did we not know this??

14 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Free ironing in a PV??? How did we not know this??

There are also two ironing boards and irons in the laundry rooms. They are half length boards mounted on the wall with an iron in a wall mounted holder above each. I actually use the ironing board as a nice place to fold and sort my clothes. 

16 hours ago, CharTrav said:

There are also two ironing boards and irons in the laundry rooms. They are half length boards mounted on the wall with an iron in a wall mounted holder above each. I actually use the ironing board as a nice place to fold and sort my clothes. 

We usually use the ironing board as a folding table also. However, the one time we were in a PV it served to hold the laundry bag. Clothes went directly from the dryer into it so they were ready to be ironed. Wish we could rationalize the extra cost of a PV but at this point in our early retirement we can’t except when it comes via a very good upgrade offer like it did that time. 🤞

• Like 1