New Ship - New Feature Exclusive

HI all,

I was talking yesterday to Marella Cruise bosses on the subject of building a new ship or the redesigning of Discovery 3 and/or Explorer 3. 

They aren't looking at mega ships but the same size or slightly larger as the current Discovery/Explorer's for a new ship.

They are looking for a "First at Sea" exclusive wow factor to draw new and existing people to Marella.

A venue or an experience that no one else has, that would work on a ship.

So they question I am asking you lovely people is, what is missing that you would like to see on the next new ship to Marella?

What feature could they have that is exclusive to them?

Post your ideas below. 

I have a month before my next meeting to discuss and put forward your ideas.

Get your thinking caps on.

This will not be a new build will it? TUI have Mein Schiff Herz which is a Celebrity Century class and I thought it was going to transfer to Marella. Celebrity have the Millenium class which is approx. 2100 passengers on 91000 tons. The Discoveries are RC Vision class and they still operate 4 of those. They also have the Voyager class which has over 3000 passengers on just less than 140000 tons.

so maybe this is about the refit of a ship moving to Marella?

What would I like to see? A quiet lounge bar serving the full range of drinks. The Explorers do not have this but the Discoveries Glass House is a reasonable attempt but no suitable furniture. Sun beds are NOT suitable

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

This will not be a new build will it? TUI have Mein Schiff Herz which is a Celebrity Century class and I thought it was going to transfer to Marella. Celebrity have the Millenium class which is approx. 2100 passengers on 91000 tons. The Discoveries are RC Vision class and they still operate 4 of those. They also have the Voyager class which has over 3000 passengers on just less than 140000 tons.

What would I like to see? A quiet lounge bar serving the full range of drinks. The Explorers do not have this but the Discoveries Glass House is a reasonable attempt but no suitable furniture. Sun beds are NOT suitable

There are plans for Discovery 3 and Explorer 3 as you have mentioned the classes that the ships will be.

There is also plans/ideas for a new build as well or instead etc. 

So the question is for new and rebuilds.

So a comfy lounge with full bar. A pub type of place. The Live lounge on Discovery 2 is turning into a Pub and this would fit your requirements. This is being done in the next refit this year.

Great idea but not an Exclusive to Marella, as other cruise lines already have this venue. But worth a mention.

No entertainment and if you must have music it is low volume background stuff. I want it be like Wetherspoons, no music at all.

The live room on Discovery is excruciatingly loud at times, truly appalling. So is the pub on Explorer and the Lounge as well at times. No game shows there either.

10 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Noted davecttr, but question is about something new, not improving existing venues.

I was using existing venues by way of illustrating the problem. I remember on Celebration you had Hemingways which was quiet, Horizons for nice singing and Liberties for the butlins stuff and disco. Now they are spreading the loud stuff all over the ship. The new ship can have a new venue with a new name even if it occupies the same space aboard. Maybe extend the coffee port concept which is much larger on Explorer 2. I will find out what that is like in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I was using existing venues by way of illustrating the problem. I remember on Celebration you had Hemingways which was quiet, Horizons for nice singing and Liberties for the butlins stuff and disco. Now they are spreading the loud stuff all over the ship. The new ship can have a new venue with a new name even if it occupies the same space aboard. Maybe extend the coffee port concept which is much larger on Explorer 2. I will find out what that is like in a few weeks.

Understand, that venue can be added, but still need an exclusive idea as well.

3 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Understand, that venue can be added, but still need an exclusive idea as well.

Hi  SP

I would like to see a purpose built sports bar showing all live football and Cricket what ever format with several large screens dotted  around a room not necessary high volume , serving tea and coffee and alcohol, and perhaps a toasted cheese maker,

i saw this at a RIU hotel and it worked rather well.

3 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi  SP

I would like to see a purpose built sports bar showing all live football and Cricket what ever format with several large screens dotted  around a room not necessary high volume , serving tea and coffee and alcohol, and perhaps a toasted cheese maker,

Great idea, I was at one of these on a Costa ship during the Olympics and each screen showed a different event. Worked really well.

But not an original exclusive idea.

1 hour ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi  SP

I would second that but as it was on Destiny it may be classed as not a new idea. 

SP - I agree with Dave, what we need is a quiet bar. Virtually every venue on all the current ships are full volume music and/or loud game shows.I like music of all types, especially many of the live artists around the ship, but would like to have a conversation with other guests, without having to shout. Marella need to sort this out, and it wouldn't be difficult to do. Every time we sail, things seem to get louder, and I'm sure its not my hearing improving!

Speaking of Wetherspoons, perhaps they should consider allowing passengers to order their drinks on their phones, using the onboard Tui App, to save having to wait 20 mins for the very limited and hard pressed waiters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

IF Marella do have another vision class ship  come across i think looking at the other four Rhapsody would fit in well slightly bigger lovely atrium.

They have family ships and an adult only ship.  I would like to see a ship that isn't AI and would give people the choice to have a drinks package or not.  Preferably with prices £200 / £300 lower in price like they used to be before they made all the ships AI and increased the prices......   and yes I am serious !

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

They have family ships and an adult only ship.  I would like to see a ship that isn't AI and would give people the choice to have a drinks package or not.  Preferably with prices £200 / £300 lower in price like they used to be before they made all the ships AI and increased the prices......   and yes I am serious !

Second that one Nancy.

3 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Good shout nancy and thats coming from someone that likes a drink( not in excess).I think its unfair that a non drinker pays the same as someone who likes a drink

I quite like the Cinema on Explorer, it would be nice if they had a minibar in there where you might get a little drink before the film started, just like their theatre. Are any of the possible new ships likely to have a Explorer type cinema. 

10 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Good shout nancy and thats coming from someone that likes a drink( not in excess).I think its unfair that a non drinker pays the same as someone who likes a drink

I think that is unlikely. Why would they have one of their ships with a lower profit margin? Then there would be the confusion that would arise when people cruise on her and only then discover there is no free booze, the result, bad press.

What the OP wants is completely new venues etc. the problem is probably everything has been tried. Here is another non goer that used to be on Destiny. Solo cruisers could choose any inside or outside cabin!. For the basic question any decision would be based on cost benefit analysis so crazy ideas are no good, profit is king.

I never said it would be likely,was merely agreeing with Nancy.Dont see why there would be confusion if it was to happen though.If folk are not aware of what is or is not available when they book or go on a cruise maybe going on cruise  isnt for them.😉

I.ll take my leave now as not contributing to this discussion

Edited by Jim The Scot

Not entirely new I think Virgin may be using this idea but how about “Food of the World”.

By that I mean rather than one main restaurant they have several smaller ones offering food from different parts of the world, Indian, Chinese, Brazilian etc included in the price not as extra pay venue.

And the could tie one in with the area they are sailing in.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

What the OP wants is completely new venues etc. the problem is probably everything has been tried. Here is another non goer that used to be on Destiny. Solo cruisers could choose any inside or outside cabin!. For the basic question any decision would be based on cost benefit analysis so crazy ideas are no good, profit is king.

Spot on Davecttr, thank you.

Crazy ideas can lead to profit solution ideas, so are welcome, but we are struggling here with anything original, but alot of 'improvements' which get noted but isn't what the discussion should be. 

I would live to say "I have a great new idea, and while we are at it, why not fix these issues?"

But that killer idea is needed.

Get those thinking caps on.

They are looking for a "First at Sea" exclusive wow factor to draw new and existing people to Marella.

A venue or an experience that no one else has, that would work on a ship.

Think you are asking the wrong people here. If they are looking at what might attract “future cruise passengers” they should probably be asking families and those in the 20-45 age groups for ideas.

Certainly for us personally, and we know we have been lucky, but we are happy that we have completed so many cruises with different lines and seen so many wonderful parts of the world over the last 20 years. We have not only enjoyed the ports of call, but have also enjoyed the sea days where we simply enjoy watching the sea and whatever shipping, fishing boats, marine life and scenery come our way. And relaxing by reading (and dozing!) to the sound of the sea. Anyone who visited Alaska, Norway and many other beautiful areas will know what the scenery and sealife are like. To us, it is what “cruising” should be.  It has been a more “traditional cruising” experience than what “new to cruising” passengers will experience now and in the near future.

With so many ships to fill, lines are looking for ways to attract passengers. We have despaired at

most of the recent additions to cruise ships but apparently it is what “new to cruising” passengers expect.

These include electric car racing tracks, bike racing tracks, robot bartenders, rope courses, ziplines, go-karts, fake lawns and parks, a rising bar, bungee jumping, and coming next year, the first roller coaster at sea.

To be honest, we think that “cruising” is now not so much about actual cruising, more about “experiences” and for those, you might as well stuff ships with “experiences” and stay tied up at the dock, because there will be so many “experiences” to try there simply won’t be time to go ashore.

Maybe the way to attract more passengers is to have an "experience free" adult only ship with at least one quiet bar area for chatting, a sports bar, and foods of the world restaurants and new, smaller ports of call. By the time they do this, it would be something no other line will be offering.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1