AA baggage fees?

phabric

3 hours ago, phabric said:

Being from Canada, I had heard some airlines in the States were charging for carry on and checked.

Thanks for the information.

Some do, on some fares.

Best to ALWAYS go to the source -- the airline's own website where their baggage policies are spelled out.

9 hours ago, phabric said:

Being from Canada, I had heard some airlines in the States were charging for carry on and checked.

Typically it is just ultra low cost carriers, like Spirit, that charge for carry on luggage.  But as Flyertalker said, always go to the website of the airline to check all the relevant policies.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Typically it is just ultra low cost carriers, like Spirit, that charge for carry on luggage.  But as Flyertalker said, always go to the website of the airline to check all the relevant policies.

On United's lowest fares, they restrict you to a personal item only, and any larger carryon is charged a baggage fee.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, FlyerTalker said:

On United's lowest fares, they restrict you to a personal item only, and any larger carryon is charged a baggage fee.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks for clarifying.  I mainly fly Delta and they haven't gone to that yet for their "basic economy" fares; I'd forgotten that at least one legacy carrier has though.  If American hasn't done it yet, I'm shocked.  You'd think Doug Parker would be all over that!

Depending on what boarding group you end up with you may end up still having to check you carry on. This is due to the lack of overhead bin space. They will check it for free at the gate, but be warned you might have to remove any stuff you don't want  riding in the cargo hold. Medications, cameras, laptops etc etc etc. 

16 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

Depending on what boarding group you end up with you may end up still having to check you carry on. This is due to the lack of overhead bin space. They will check it for free at the gate, but be warned you might have to remove any stuff you don't want  riding in the cargo hold. Medications, cameras, laptops etc etc etc. 

And any lithium batteries, including those in "smart bags".  None allowed in the cargo hold due to fire concerns.