Which cruise line has the most interactive cruisers Celebrity , Princess or HAL ?

scubacruiserx2

19 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

They are favorite 3 cruise lines so who do you think has the most interactive cruisers ?

Define what you mean by 'interactive' please. 

Edited by Sascol
  • Like 1

Given that these are synonyms for interactive I say that the Love Boats of Princess are the most bilateral, the ships of Celebrity (and Royal and Azamara) are the most reciprocal and the ships of HAL are the most associated. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

They are favorite 3 cruise lines so who do you think has the most interactive cruisers ?

Translation (not Google)

These are our 3 favourite cruise line, so which cruise line passenger are the most active, friendliest, most responsive to being talked too, those who interact with other passengers.

🍻 Two beers, so I am going into interactive mode.

If I got the translation wrong, let me know and I'll have another 🍻 and 🙊

• Like 2

I'm not in a position to comment since in recent years I've only been on Celebrity. I will most certainly yield to your experience since they are your 3 favorite lines and you have experienced all of them. What is your answer to the question given your experience?

6 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Translation (not Google)

If I got the translation wrong, let me know and I'll have another 🍻 and 🙊

Maybe could include:

Most interactive at the buffet (sneezing, picking up food with fingers, cutting in line...)

Most interactive in the public  rest rooms (leaving without washing hands)

Most interactive with staff (speaking to them rudely, leaving them unsolicited gifts from their home town)

Least interactive with staff (stiffing them on tips)

If OP does mean most chatty with strangers, then I would say RCCL, as they have the most free booze in the most places around the ship, to GMT's point 🍹

The reason we joined Cruise Critic, is to be active  and interactive with fellow cruisers on our cruises. Joining Roll Calls and participating in Meet and Greets as well as shore excursions together.  Also dining together, meeting for drinks, meeting before the cruise or after the cruise and share like interests (for us it would be photography and scuba diving). We have written at least 3  photo travelogues  for each of the 3  cruise lines, to share  travel experiences and tips we have picked-up from others along the way. In the process we have made some life long friends.

Which cruise line has the most participation or interaction on Roll Calls which leads to other activities on and off the ship as a result ?

As I've said in a past post I have only experienced Celebrity in recent years. Based on what I see is now the focus of your question I would say that participation on Roll Calls, at least on Celebrity is largely based on the length and demographics of the passengers. My last cruise was a 7 day Equinox cruise and Roll Call interaction was minimal.  My next cruise is October TA aboard Silhouette and there has been a tremendous amount of participation. People have organized excursions, organized a crafting room, poker run, slot pulls, cabin crawl, card games, to name just a few. My guess is that the same factors operate on other lines as well.

Op

Do you mean friendly, engaging, social?

Guess it all depends on what you are looking for..Sharing a large table at the mdr  or chatting with neaby table mates in BLU can be  a nice social event,  being active on your roll call if it is active,  taking ship's excursions, signing up for events on board....

Yeesh.

I am cool with chatting online and maybe doing the meet & mingle, but beyond that... I don’t cruise to make new BFFs - I’ll be polite and social when I must, but when people start in with “We MUST eat all meals together/hang out every waking moment/go to bars/etc.” I’m sorry, but I’m outta there.

Glad there is room for everyone on ships! 🙂

• Like 4

ahhh, so you are trying to define cruise lines by their CC related interactivity.  That is tough and it might depend more on the specific cruise (and length of cruise) then the cruise line.  We go back to the very beginning on CC and our attitude towards Roll Calls has been to generally "blow off" any Roll Call related onboard activities on all three of the cruise lines you mention .  Why?  Because Roll Calls and related Meet and Greets started becoming somewhat juvenile and annoying about 10 years ago (perhaps a bit longer).  At one time Roll calls were pretty much blogs about an upcoming cruise, ports, organizing private tours, etc.  There were also the usual folks that wanted cabin crawls and perhaps slot pulls.  All was fine.  But then we started getting folks who wanted to talk about their sick dog, dying Aunt, etc.  And we also had those who wanted to do such grown up Meet and Greet activities as gift exchanges (like we used to do in Elementary school and are now generally banned), skits, etc.  We also had take-charge folks at some meet and greets who insisted on controlling the conversation (i.e. prohibiting any talk about private tours), etc.  And then there were other folks who would coral attending cruise ship staff and Senior Officers so that they could whine and complain about various issues onboard (even though they had only been aboard 1 or 2 days).  Hence, some cruise lines (such as HAL) started discouraging Senior Officers (and Staff) to avoid Meet and Greets.  It is only on a recent MSC Divina cruise did we see much of the spirit of the old Roll Calls where everyone had a great time, there was lots of socialization, the ship's Captain essentially MC'd the function, etc.

We still enjoy making new friends onboard but no longer find the M&G a good place for any interaction.  Most of our newfound cruise friends are now found while sharing large tables at open sitting dinners, joining others in the Lido, and spending time in various lounges and interacting with nearby folks.   You will no longer find us at a Meet and Greet unless we have a reason to meet a specific person and it has been previously arranged online.

Hank

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ahhh, so you are trying to define cruise lines by their CC related interactivity.  That is tough and it might depend more on the specific cruise (and length of cruise) then the cruise line.  We go back to the very beginning on CC and our attitude towards Roll Calls has been to generally "blow off" any Roll Call related onboard activities on all three of the cruise lines you mention .  Why?  Because Roll Calls and related Meet and Greets started becoming somewhat juvenile and annoying about 10 years ago (perhaps a bit longer).  At one time Roll calls were pretty much blogs about an upcoming cruise, ports, organizing private tours, etc.  There were also the usual folks that wanted cabin crawls and perhaps slot pulls.  All was fine.  But then we started getting folks who wanted to talk about their sick dog, dying Aunt, etc.  And we also had those who wanted to do such grown up Meet and Greet activities as gift exchanges (like we used to do in Elementary school and are now generally banned), skits, etc.  We also had take-charge folks at some meet and greets who insisted on controlling the conversation (i.e. prohibiting any talk about private tours), etc.  And then there were other folks who would coral attending cruise ship staff and Senior Officers so that they could whine and complain about various issues onboard (even though they had only been aboard 1 or 2 days).  Hence, some cruise lines (such as HAL) started discouraging Senior Officers (and Staff) to avoid Meet and Greets.  It is only on a recent MSC Divina cruise did we see much of the spirit of the old Roll Calls where everyone had a great time, there was lots of socialization, the ship's Captain essentially MC'd the function, etc.

We still enjoy making new friends onboard but no longer find the M&G a good place for any interaction.  Most of our newfound cruise friends are now found while sharing large tables at open sitting dinners, joining others in the Lido, and spending time in various lounges and interacting with nearby folks.   You will no longer find us at a Meet and Greet unless we have a reason to meet a specific person and it has been previously arranged online.

Hank

Thank you Hank , you said what we think better then we did . It's not just juvenile at the M&G 's but take a look at some of the responses to our question . Mostly not constructive .

10 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you Hank , you said what we think better then we did . It's not just juvenile at the M&G 's but take a look at some of the responses to our question . Mostly not constructive .

We hear you :).  There are some folks who seem content with the current M&G situation and they do a great job explaining why we no longer want anything to do with those functions.  I suspect the folks who are "not constructive" are the very same folks that have convinced me to not waste my time going to M&Gs.  We do see some exceptions and it seems like the Roll Calls for some longer cruises (we are talking weeks) are very constructive.  Perhaps it is because these cruises tend to attract an older (and often well traveled) crowd who enjoy trading info on travel and ports rather then focusing on their cat :).

About 2 years ago, right before we were to take a long Princess cruise, one of the Roll Call folks simply posted that he liked going to the International Café early on sea days, would generally be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, and would welcome anyone to join him for coffee and conversation.  On the first day he had about 8 visitors (including us) and the early morning group quickly grew to about a dozen who came and went as they pleased.  There were no "rules," "gift exchanges,"  speeches etc. but simply folks that would get together to talk about anything.  In a sense it was what we used to see at the old Meet and Greets.  Most of us became friends and we all learned from each other.    A few would just sit with their coffee and listen.  Others were very chatty and were generally quite interesting.  If one was unhappy with the group or conversation they could simply walk away...and others who were curious were immediately welcomed.  One Aussie lady actually mentioned that this was the new "Roll Call."

Hank

In response to our question Celebrity had 303 views and 14 replies . HAL had 288 views and 11 responses and Princess had 218 views and 9 responses . Only Princess had more helpful and constructive responses than unhelpful . 

On Celebrity our top 3 travelogues have 522,000 views

On Princess our top 3 travelogues have 326 ,000 views

On HAL our top 3 travelogues have 177 ,000 views 

Our last 2 cruises on HAL were 2 of our longest and best cruises with some our best photos and videos and yet we only had 66 , 000 views . We wonder how many views we would have had if we were on Celebrity or Princess .

Our 3 future cruises have no M&G's or tours planned so we have booked our own tours . When we organized a M&G on the Eurodam to Alaska we were the only 2 people there .

18 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

For those who may be thinking of going to South America or Antarctica on Celebrity , Princess or HAL :

7dfaffa6-2dfe-439d-a879-cb01fb88d33e_zps

DSC03156%202_zpsgrpmes92.jpg

Patagonia

IMG_7137_zpss0tt2d9a.jpg

IMG_0111-002_zps25cde17a.jpg

IMG_8711_zps0kqsz0pp.jpg

IMG_7013%201_zps2gelkhdv.jpg

That is beautiful.  Which cruise line, ship, and iterary was that?

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I believe that is a 3 week Holland America cruise.

As far as who is the most social in person, I'm going to guess Princess.  X has a reputation for having "stuffy passengers", but I don't agree, most will engage if you break the ice.  I've found HAL to still be on the shy side, but it is just as common to be engaged with.  With all of the Princess open space and lounges, I imagine it is even more true.

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

These photos are a few from our pre cruise stay of about 9 days .  As Stateroom Sailor said the HAL Zaandam 22 days of Chile , Argentina , Antarctica and Uruguay . One our favorites ships is the Eclipse and we looked at booking it but there were some ports that we wanted to go to that they didn't go to .

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I believe that is a 3 week Holland America cruise.

As far as who is the most social in person, I'm going to guess Princess.  X has a reputation for having "stuffy passengers", but I don't agree, most will engage if you break the ice.  I've found HAL to still be on the shy side, but it is just as common to be engaged with.  With all of the Princess open space and lounges, I imagine it is even more true.

Thank you for your response . I had never heard about the "stuffy passengers" before . We usually try to meet on CC to book private tours and go from there . We have done 2 TA's on Celebrity which we enjoyed and will be doing it on the Regal Princess in the Spring so it will be a chance to compare it with X .

'