Norway Rocks

Glenndale

I’ve just returned from a very enjoyable 7 night cruise on Spirit of Discovery.

There were some niggles but overall the cruise met our expectations.

There is certainly a wow factor in the living room with its mural which goes up the stairs. 

All around the ship the art work was of a high standard. 

The china and cutlery in the dining areas were very high quality.

The furniture in public areas was one of my niggles, many of the seats were too deep and because of this uncomfortable, a case of style over substance.

In spite of this the library was a lovely spot to grab a coffee and sit and chat.

I wish they had a couple of self service coffee machines in the Britannia lounge then we might have used it more. It did seem very underused during the day.

The cabin was nicely appointed, our cabin steward did a good job and promptly changed the very warm duvet for a sheet and blanket when asked.

The bed was fairly comfortable so no real complaints, no bed ever meets the one at home does it? , although the beds on Oceania are an exception.

The bathroom had a good shower etc. but no drying line (these are being retrofitted) and for myself I would have preferred to have shelves or a bathroom cabinet at eye level, I don’t like cluttered sink surrounds. The toiletries were super.

In the cabin my main concern was the lack of hanging space, just ok for a 7 night cruise. 

The placement of the safe and box containing hair dryer restricts hanging space even more.

Using the hairdryer is a pain as you have to remove the kettle plug to access the only 2 pin plug.

The fridge really is inadequate. What more can I say?

I liked the rounded bedside cabinets but felt they should have been a little bigger and the USB ports at the side of the bed are a nice touch.

We managed 2 visits to the club, 2 to East to West and 1 to Coast to Coast, the remainder of meals were taken in the MDR.

The food in the specialities was excellent and in the dining room good to very good.

We found the Grill a slightly confusing layout but it was very popular although we preferred the relative quiet of the MDR.

In the evening we enjoyed the ambience of the Club lounge and their resident vocalist. 

The bartender mixed my s-i-l and I some very tasty cocktails.

Entertainment by the resident dance group was excellent and the other acts The 4Tunes and Elektra received standing ovations.

I only managed to attend one lecture which covered global warming and renewables, but I thought it was well presented.

The gym was fitted out with weights machines, 4 treadmills, 2 cycles, 2 rowers and 2 steppers.

The spa area had a thalassotherapy pool, heated beds, an infrared sauna, a steam room and a conventional sauna, plus the usual showers etc. 

I found the steam room to be far too hot.

On the sea days I attended the jewellery workshops and made 3 necklace and earring sets. There was no charge for any of the kits and the instructors were very patient with us.

There is a shop with the usual sort of ship stuff, perfume, clothing and jewellery plus essentials like toothpaste and shaving foam.

My s-i-l was worried about sea sickness one evening and reception supplied her with a full box of Sturgeron - no charge.

The staff were all very friendly and happy to help.

I tried to fit in as much as I could but with 4 ports in a 7 night cruise I’m sure there are some experiences I missed.

We arrived late into Bergen, midday instead of 8am which was a nuisance as we had booked a private fjord cruise with Rodne.

Saga extended our leaving time and I was able to change our tickets for the afternoon and reprint them in the library, no charge for printing or WiFi.

Any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Sorry about the font, copied and pasted from Notes on iPad 🙂

Edited by Glenndale

Not a question -  but glad to hear that as a previous Saga cruiser you had enjoyed 'Discovery, and also a pleasant surprise to read that you snagged 5 nights out of 7 in the alternative restaurants. Obviously not as problematic as everyone thought it was going to be.

Pleased to read your report. So interested in what different things matter to us all. I couldn’t imagine wanting sheets and blankets but found the beds comfy. 

Also, yes, we did manage 4 out of 7 nights in Specialties, but only with quite a lot of effort. We spoke to many who would have liked more but didn’t realise you had to be so proactive. 

Main question, will you look to sail on Saga again?

I found the duvet far too warm even with the aircon turned right down so whichever line I’m on I tend to request a top sheet and one blanket 🙂

We will be on SoD in June for a Baltic cruise and have no qualms with sailing with them again, and also on Adventure next November for a 31 night cruise to the Caribbean.

I fear the hanging space for that cruise could be a problem. 🤔

Unfortunately the price difference between the standard cabin and the deluxe cabin

is approx £4000 pp more! So I’ll just have to take less.

One thing, on none formal nights many men were not wearing jackets or ties and this didn’t seem to be a problem. 

20 hours ago, Glenndale said:

I’ve just returned from a very enjoyable 7 night cruise on Spirit of Discovery.

There were some niggles but overall the cruise met our expectations.

There is certainly a wow factor in the living room with its mural which goes up the stairs. 

All around the ship the art work was of a high standard. 

The china and cutlery in the dining areas were very high quality.

The furniture in public areas was one of my niggles, many of the seats were too deep and because of this uncomfortable, a case of style over substance.

In spite of this the library was a lovely spot to grab a coffee and sit and chat.

I wish they had a couple of self service coffee machines in the Britannia lounge then we might have used it more. It did seem very underused during the day.

The cabin was nicely appointed, our cabin steward did a good job and promptly changed the very warm duvet for a sheet and blanket when asked.

The bed was fairly comfortable so no real complaints, no bed ever meets the one at home does it? , although the beds on Oceania are an exception.

The bathroom had a good shower etc. but no drying line (these are being retrofitted) and for myself I would have preferred to have shelves or a bathroom cabinet at eye level, I don’t like cluttered sink surrounds. The toiletries were super.

In the cabin my main concern was the lack of hanging space, just ok for a 7 night cruise. 

The placement of the safe and box containing hair dryer restricts hanging space even more.

Using the hairdryer is a pain as you have to remove the kettle plug to access the only 2 pin plug.

The fridge really is inadequate. What more can I say?

I liked the rounded bedside cabinets but felt they should have been a little bigger and the USB ports at the side of the bed are a nice touch.

We managed 2 visits to the club, 2 to East to West and 1 to Coast to Coast, the remainder of meals were taken in the MDR.

The food in the specialities was excellent and in the dining room good to very good.

We found the Grill a slightly confusing layout but it was very popular although we preferred the relative quiet of the MDR.

In the evening we enjoyed the ambience of the Club lounge and their resident vocalist. 

The bartender mixed my s-i-l and I some very tasty cocktails.

Entertainment by the resident dance group was excellent and the other acts The 4Tunes and Elektra received standing ovations.

I only managed to attend one lecture which covered global warming and renewables, but I thought it was well presented.

The gym was fitted out with weights machines, 4 treadmills, 2 cycles, 2 rowers and 2 steppers.

The spa area had a thalassotherapy pool, heated beds, an infrared sauna, a steam room and a conventional sauna, plus the usual showers etc. 

I found the steam room to be far too hot.

On the sea days I attended the jewellery workshops and made 3 necklace and earring sets. There was no charge for any of the kits and the instructors were very patient with us.

There is a shop with the usual sort of ship stuff, perfume, clothing and jewellery plus essentials like toothpaste and shaving foam.

My s-i-l was worried about sea sickness one evening and reception supplied her with a full box of Sturgeron - no charge.

The staff were all very friendly and happy to help.

I tried to fit in as much as I could but with 4 ports in a 7 night cruise I’m sure there are some experiences I missed.

We arrived late into Bergen, midday instead of 8am which was a nuisance as we had booked a private fjord cruise with Rodne.

Saga extended our leaving time and I was able to change our tickets for the afternoon and reprint them in the library, no charge for printing or WiFi.

Any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Sorry about the font, copied and pasted from Notes on iPad 🙂

I was on the Norway Rocks cruise and agree with Glenndales summary of the cruise and as an existing SAGA customer see no reason to change aliegiance.

One thing I was impressed with was the treatment I recieved when suffered from a "tummy wobble". I was confined to my cabin for 24 hours, had visits from the nurse and given necessery medication as well as advice on a suitable diet.

Unfortunately this coincided with formal evening and resulted in me having clear soup and crackers watching my wife eating Haddock and Lobster.

There was no cost for the medical treatment.

I do strongly agree with you about the suitability of some of the chairs on board the Spirit of Discovery.  I do wonder how they are chosen.  It seems extraordinarily to fit out a new ship with chairs that are not very comfortable, particularly bearing in mind the age of some of the passengers. I hope that the chairs on the new ship will be better.

Just  wondering - does 'deep' mean that the seats are too long from front to back, making them difficult for people with shorter legs to sit back?  I only find that very low sofas and chairs are a bit of a problem to get up from, especially if you don't have an arm rest to use.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Just  wondering - does 'deep' mean that the seats are too long from front to back, making them difficult for people with shorter legs to sit back?  I only find that very low sofas and chairs are a bit of a problem to get up from, especially if you don't have an arm rest to use.

It is the front to back that is the problem even for the average height male.

Whilst on board I met the headquarters based Hotel Director Horst Pint who agreed there is a problem with the furniture which was being addressed.