Sea Food buffet

rdr525

When we were on Regal 2 years ago, one nite they had a sea food buffet, with oysters, peel and eat shrimp etc. We decided to go to buffet in lieu of dinning room. Does anyone know if they still have it and which nite it is, so we can make reservations in specialty restaurant on a different nite

THANKS

On the first night they have prime rib and mounds of peeled boiled shrimp. We never go to dining room or speciality dining on 1st night. Other nights usually have some kind of shrimp too. I think it is lunch on last day they have peeled shrimp and oysters and mussels maybe?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rdr525 said:

When we were on Regal 2 years ago, one nite they had a sea food buffet, with oysters, peel and eat shrimp etc. We decided to go to buffet in lieu of dinning room. Does anyone know if they still have it and which nite it is, so we can make reservations in specialty restaurant on a different nite

THANKS

8 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

For anyone to answer that question, you need to let us know the itinerary and the dates.

Even that won't help.

All anyone can do is guess, which ultimately doesn't help you, OP.  I would suggest asking the MD once you are on board, or ask a head chef in the World Market (Lido Buffet). 

16 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I'm also on the Crown right now. They had jumbo shrimp and oysters on the half shell one afternoon in the buffet.

NICE ! - is there anything in the Patter about the different 'specials' or themes in the buffet - or do you just have to go by and see what they have ?

we'll go to the buffet for breakfast ... but maybe not anytime else during the day, so we may be missing out ...

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

NICE ! - is there anything in the Patter about the different 'specials' or themes in the buffet - or do you just have to go by and see what they have ?

we'll go to the buffet for breakfast ... but maybe not anytime else during the day, so we may be missing out ...

I have seen them post a dinner theme in the Patter under the Horizon Court / World Market info.  But you will only know the day ahead.  If need to know further, I'd inquire with a head chef in that area.

• Thanks 1

People tell me that the buffet "theme" nights are listed in the Patter but whenever I look I never see them listed. Apparently it's hit or miss depending on the cruise? I really wish Princess would get this stuff together and post the menus, specialty nights, etc. on the TV and perhaps the online Patter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Thrak said:

People tell me that the buffet "theme" nights are listed in the Patter but whenever I look I never see them listed. Apparently it's hit or miss depending on the cruise? I really wish Princess would get this stuff together and post the menus, specialty nights, etc. on the TV and perhaps the online Patter.

Yep.  It would be very easy to put it on the Princess at Sea application. The staff does not make up the menus the night before service.

Having the menu(s) there would certainly help one decide when to reserve specialty dining, decide to eat at Horizon Court or eat in the main dining room. And, it might have the added benefit of letting those at traditional dining let their wait staff know what there plans are ahead of time.

23 hours ago, rdr525 said:

THANKS

OHH be still my heart !! they used to have shrimp galore at the Buffett least one night a week ! Have not seen it lately! Hubby does not do seafood But always trying to get me to order I love cruising where I can get what I want and he can also 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

41 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

Yep.  It would be very easy to put it on the Princess at Sea application. The staff does not make up the menus the night before service.

Having the menu(s) there would certainly help one decide when to reserve specialty dining, decide to eat at Horizon Court or eat in the main dining room. And, it might have the added benefit of letting those at traditional dining let their wait staff know what there plans are ahead of time.

their

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe they don't tell you in advance so people will book the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Otherwise the ship might not get the specialty restaurants reservations they need to fill them and then the buffet would be packed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats great!  Do you know what type of oysters they were? Also were they raw or Rockefeller type?

Ok I am going to ask ! what do oysters taste like and how do you eat them? Love fish ,lobster and shrimp. I am 61 never tried them lol I forgot did try clams years ago dipped in butter also!  (loved them) Hubby does not do seafood,but always trying to get me to order it on vacation.

Edited by Reader0108598

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

They're listing the theme of the dinner buffet on the back page or the patter each day now - At least on the Crown & Regal Princess. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

Celebrity  has large  scrolling  sign boards outside their buffets  listing all their theme nights for the cruise .  Have suggested  this to Princess after every cruise but to no avail . 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, rwilk1129 said:

On the first night they have prime rib and mounds of peeled boiled shrimp. We never go to dining room or speciality dining on 1st night. Other nights usually have some kind of shrimp too. I think it is lunch on last day they have peeled shrimp and oysters and mussels maybe?

I remember on the Regal Princess, they did have the shrimp and oysters the same tune they had the cake/chocolate Extravaganza

5 minutes ago, JEH said:

Celebrity  has large  scrolling  sign boards outside their buffets  listing all their theme nights for the cruise .  Have suggested  this to Princess after every cruise but to no avail . 

I’ve seen it displayed in the buffet over the food. It would be nice to know in advance. But I do look while they’re setting up. 

18 minutes ago, JEH said:

Sadly they don't care what we think have been on 30 cruises have given up filling out their surveys !  I believe it is just for corporate no impact on the passengers! Why waste my time!

Edited by Reader0108598

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

Ok I am going to ask ! what do oysters taste like and how do you eat them? Love fish ,lobster and shrimp. I am 61 never tried them lol I forgot did try clams years ago dipped in butter also!  (loved them) Hubby does not do seafood,but always trying to get me to order it on vacation.

Shucked/opened oysters on the half shell are displayed on a bed of ice and eaten that way. I like them with a cocktail sauce made with a liberal amount of horseradish and ketchup. Not really sure how to describe the taste but if they are truly fresh  IMO they are very good. As with Escargot they are definitely not for everybody.  Princess has not had these (oysters) in the past because they are difficult to keep fresh during a cruise. I have never seen fresh oysters on the half shell on Princess. Thats why I keep asking were they fresh on the half shell. I hope so. Rockefeller type are baked with cheese etc. I hope they are fresh as I want to have them on my cruise along with my order of escargot.

Oysters a must try at least once.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Shucked/opened oysters on the half shell are displayed on a bed of ice and eaten that way. I like them with a cocktail sauce made with a liberal amount of horseradish and ketchup. Not really sure how to describe the taste but if they are truly fresh  IMO they are very good. As with Escargot they are definitely not for everybody Princess has not had these in the past because they are difficult to keep fresh during a cruise. I have never seen fresh oysters on the half shell on Princess. thats why I keep asking were they fresh on the half shell. Rockefeller type are baked with cheese etc. I hope they are fresh as I want to have them on my cruise along with my order of escargot.

Oysters a must try at least once.

TY Colo Cruiser I appreciate your comment 🙂

• Like 1