Cruise Critic Community

Until Windstar runs out of places to go to that we have not seen yet, most of our international travel is directly tied to where you can take us.  Having recently had dinner with your Destinations Manage Felipe Menzes onboard the Star Legend, we spoke of our mutual fondness for South America.  He gave us a hint of things to come (a very small hint), about the chances of WIndstar heading further south in the Americas.  Can you share any itinerary prospects for the near future?

We will be back on the Star Legend (post Star Plus Initiative) for Panama & Costa Rica in early 2021.  But we are also looking for any opportunities for South America on Windstar.  Just hoping!

On a more personal note: thank you for your leadership.  When sailing with Windstar, since you took the helm, it has become increasingly clear that staff at all levels has a better understanding of how they are so well respected by you and upper management.  We have heard it a lot and it is not just words.  It is positive attitudes and actions everywhere onboard.  Thank you.

I would also like to put in a "vote" for South America! On our last Windstar cruise our Destinations Manager also spoke about the possibilities of South America and maybe even Antarctica which really perked our ears up! 

On 10/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

I would also like to put in a "vote" for South America! On our last Windstar cruise our Destinations Manager also spoke about the possibilities of South America and maybe even Antarctica which really perked our ears up! 

Unless they are going to build a 2022 Polar Code compliant vessel, Antarctica is not likely to happen. The current ships aren't even close to compliant, and for the cost of retrofitting, they'd be better off with a new expedition ship build.  The polar regions are a finite market, and there are a few players who already have a strong foothold. I wonder if Windstar would be better served looking at markets where their small ships would be a distinct advantage in parts of the world that are either off the beaten path or impossible for the larger ships to get to.

That said, I'd love to see more of South America on the horizon for Windstar as well!

On 10/4/2019 at 11:42 PM, Del Rio said:

Until Windstar runs out of places to go to that we have not seen yet, most of our international travel is directly tied to where you can take us.  Having recently had dinner with your Destinations Manage Felipe Menzes onboard the Star Legend, we spoke of our mutual fondness for South America.  He gave us a hint of things to come (a very small hint), about the chances of WIndstar heading further south in the Americas.  Can you share any itinerary prospects for the near future?

We will be back on the Star Legend (post Star Plus Initiative) for Panama & Costa Rica in early 2021.  But we are also looking for any opportunities for South America on Windstar.  Just hoping!

On a more personal note: thank you for your leadership.  When sailing with Windstar, since you took the helm, it has become increasingly clear that staff at all levels has a better understanding of how they are so well respected by you and upper management.  We have heard it a lot and it is not just words.  It is positive attitudes and actions everywhere onboard.  Thank you.

We’re working on itineraries for early 2022 right now we do plan to add two new itineraries in South America. We should have them open and published by the end of the year.

Thank you for the kind words. Our crew is the heart of Windstar and they do a fantastic job for us and I feel very fortunate to work alongside them! I’m glad you’re trying one of the ships post Star Plus and I think you’ll love all the enhancements. We are looking at some South America options in January of 2022.

Edited by WSCPresident

We will be watching!

Thank you for your response and for the wonderful crews on board!

Thank you John,

I know a lot of Windstar's loyal passengers will be excited to hear this.  I am!

And our love and respect for your crews and staff is well desired.  A rising sea raises all ships.  Enough of your newer crew members came to Windstar from other cruise lines, for very good reasons.  If the other, larger lines, want to keep their experienced staff, hopefully they will take lessons from you.
(Kudos for every single crew member on the Star Legend this July & August. Best cruise crew ever!)

Edited by Del Rio