Los Angeles

sheila59

So we depart our cruise at Los Angeles in the morning but our flight back to the U.K. is not until 1900 hours, we are a group of 8, my question is we were thinking of rent a van for the day, it’s sunday o we need to pick it up at airport, some people have said that it is not a good idea due to the fact that getting across town can take ages, would you recommend renting? We just wanted to pick up a few bits to take home with us, we have our luggage what we can leave in the car when doing shopping.

thanks 

It is not safe to park with visible luggage in the van. By the time you receive the van you will have very little time for touring. It can be an hour between the time you leave the ship and get the van and a half to an hour to get to Hollywood. Then you have to return the van and get to the terminal at least 2 hours before your flight. Is it worth rushing around to see the tourist sites in 5 hours?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheila59 said:

So we depart our cruise at Los Angeles in the morning but our flight back to the U.K. is not until 1900 hours, we are a group of 8, my question is we were thinking of rent a van for the day, it’s sunday o we need to pick it up at airport, some people have said that it is not a good idea due to the fact that getting across town can take ages, would you recommend renting? We just wanted to pick up a few bits to take home with us, we have our luggage what we can leave in the car when doing shopping.

thanks 

You may want to look at a map. The two major cruise ports for "Los Angeles" are in Long Beach and San Pedro. 

You could certainly rent a van. But, you read/heard correctly that traffic often crawls all over L.A. County, which is HUGE and a challenge for tourists since desirable attractions/neighborhoods are spread far and wide. With poor planning/visit choices, you could spend as much time on the road between attractions as you would in them. 

Your other major problem is the idea of leaving luggage in a parked rented van/car in popular tourist areas. That's just asking for a car breaki-in, which is epidemic in tourist laden LA (or SF).

Don't get me wrong- there is much to see and enjoy in L.A.. But, like many major cosmopolitan cities, trying to "do it right" takes at least three days. But, if you're unable/unwilling to rearrange your time there, I suggest that you do some research and identify a reputable tour provider who could supply a driver and a guide with an 8-10 passenger mini-bus. In that way, you'd have your port pickup, airport transport, luggage oversight (the driver), HOHO stops (with guide and w/o parking challenge), etc. all rolled into one efficacious package with the cost split 8 ways.

• Like 2

Take a taxi(s) from San Pedro to Long Beach to the Queen Mary (Hotel) and spend the day exploring her, have lunch on her or in the area, buy some souvenirs,  take lots of pictures...then get cabs to the airport.  EM

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Take a taxi(s) from San Pedro to Long Beach to the Queen Mary (Hotel) and spend the day exploring her, have lunch on her or in the area, buy some souvenirs,  take lots of pictures...then get cabs to the airport.  EM

and the luggage...???

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

That’s a brilliant idea, so just book a room for one day to store luggage you mean, How much time should we allow to get back to the airport?

thank you. 

I'll assume you are flying out of LAX,  not LGB.  

The luggage is the bugaboo.  You can't check bags that early at the airport.  The rental van is a good idea, but there are folks who will break in, just like anywhere around the world.

If you can find a solution to the luggage, I'd go up to the Venice Beach, Santa Monica area.  Close to LAX.  Venice Beach is historic (I lived there in the 70s).  Walk the beachside sidewalk, have lunch at a cafe, look at the stuff being sold by the vendors, watch the basketball games (where "White Men Can't Jump" was partially based on), watch the bodybuilders, watch the various "freak shows" (aka the Chainsaw Juggler, the Rollerskating Swami playing his guitar, etc.). 

Traffic is horrendous anywhere in LA now.  I remember it was an easy 15 minute drive up Lincoln from my house on the beach to LAX.  Last year, I tried the same drive - it took easily 45 minutes.   And, that was on a Sunday.  

I believe if you ask, the Queen Mary will store your luggage for the day.  You can spend hours there wandering around, taking self guided tours, and their very inexpensive tours.  Beware:  the Sunday Brunch is extensive and expensive.  EM

https://www.queenmary.com/  You can always email them and ask.

2 hours ago, sheila59 said:

That’s a brilliant idea, so just book a room for one day to store luggage you mean, How much time should we allow to get back to the airport?

thank you. 

NOT a "brilliant" idea. Normal hotel check-in would be 3-4 pm. And finding a "day room" deal close to a port on a "turn around" day can be a real challenge. In addition, with 8 people, you're talking about two or more rooms and you still haven't addressed the transportation component.

All things considered: Your best bet will be my previous custom tour recommendation.

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

NOT a "brilliant" idea. Normal hotel check-in would be 3-4 pm. And finding a "day room" deal close to a port on a "turn around" day can be a real challenge. In addition, with 8 people, you're talking about two or more rooms and you still haven't addressed the transportation component.

All things considered: Your best bet will be my previous custom tour recommendation.

Thank you for pointing it out, I know exactly what you mean. I’m going to see what tours I can pick up from San Pedro I think it is. In fact NCL was offering a tour but it got us to the airport by 2pm, just did not want to be stuck at the airport for so long. 

Thank you so much for you help, I appreciate it very much.  

You're flying to the UK?   For an international flight you must be at the airport 3 hrs. before departure -- 4:00 pm (1600 hrs.)

If the NCL transport gets you to LAX at 2:00 -- not too long to be "stuck at the airport".

Good luck!

36 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

You're flying to the UK?   For an international flight you must be at the airport 3 hrs. before departure -- 4:00 pm (1600 hrs.)

If the NCL transport gets you to LAX at 2:00 -- not too long to be "stuck at the airport".

Good luck!

You don't have to be at the airport 3 hours before departure.  We have never been there 3 hours before our international flight leaves.

You might want to contact Sunseeker Tours:

https://sunseekertours.com/

They are based in Long Beach and do both private and group tours with pick-up at the ports and drop-off at LAX...I am sure they could put together a tour to whatever you might want to see and do and including any desired shopping stops, keeping your luggage in the bus and dropping you off at your desired time at LAX.

• Like 1