What are some great wildlife things you’ve seen from a cruise ship?

8 hours ago, Roscoe13 said:

Many grey whales!  Just off Cabo.  Just eating breakfast on the lido and about every 2 to 3 minutes there would be a blow right off the water surface and then usually followed by a whale tail splash.  Awesome.

Im hoping we get to see some whales on our upcoming Hawaii venture! I would imagine you get a great view. 

Lots of beautiful wildlife!  Dolphins, flying fish, sea turtles, whales, orcas, seals, sea lions, puffins, eagles, sea otters, brown bears, black bears....that's about all I can think of off the top of my head 🙂  Love cruising and love cruising different places.

• Like 1

Alaska has been our best itinerary for critters:  dolphins zooming next to the ship (just below our balcony... it’s why we always have balcony cabin!) north of Vancouver, humpback whales, orca, sea otters, sea lions, eagles galore, puffin in glacier bay, bear and moose along the shore, and dahls porpoise that I mistook for baby orca.  We just keep watching the water in Alaska and are often treated to very cool sightings!

For us, viewing wildlife is one of the most important aspects of cruising.

A couple weeks ago as our ship was leaving Ketchikan. we saw a bubble net forming just outside our balcony.  I had heard of it, but had never seen it.

DSCF2546R40.thumb.jpg.ff263e1e6d3d1bbcd07fdf44222e7902.jpg

DSCF2547R40.thumb.jpg.0721e7609748f65e8badbc2c00d0775e.jpg

DSCF2548R40.thumb.jpg.d809b92456ce0bfe51800ce65999da67.jpg

DSCF2549R40.thumb.jpg.c58022a9192633d3ef7ed6e9bfd523a8.jpg

Unfortunately, my pic of the whale is not, particularly, great.  We had moved well passed him, when he popped up, and my reaction was pretty slow.  Believe me, it was pretty spectacular.

• Like 3

Whales in Alaska, Hawaii and Mexican Riviera.  Dozens of otters in Glacier Bay.  Sadly, never saw Orcas from a cruise ship but did during a great tour out of Vancouver.  Water Spout near Roatan.  Bears on the beach in Alaska.

Love watching flying fish.  

And a dead whale covered in sea birds.  Unfortunately I don't remember where.

Edited by gooch47

Main sightings of whales, porpoise and dolphins have been off Iceland, Bay of Biscay and Gibraltar.

But on our very first cruise, when we were still docked in Fort Lauderdale, there was a harbour porpoise immediately below our balcony, whilst bald eagles were flying overhead. That was unforgettable.

• Like 1

Memorable wildlife sightings for me:  the giant Albatross while sailing off New Zealand, a penguin swimming along the side of the Zaandam while we were in Antarctic waters (of course, my camera was resting in my stateroom at the time), a humpback whale and some orcas in a pod while in Alaska.

Not on a ship, but during the Tundra Wilderness Tour at Denali NP, seeing Magpies for the first time was a treat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CruisinginWonderland said:

That's incredible!

A year and a half later we're still in awe.  

This was on a Hurtigruten ship.  There's a treaty where any ship with more than 500 pax can't disembark ANY.  This ship had 400 pax so we went ashore at four different places.  And they took us out on zodiaks.  Those guys could spot the whale 'bubbles' and get us right there.  THE most bucket list trip of OUR lives.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruisinginWonderland said:

Definitely need to go there! 

Wow!  Those seals are wonderful.  And is that a bear?  A grizzly?  Life is good, isn't it?  Thanks for sharing.

Antarctica was just teeming with wildlife in and out of the water.

Off the coast of deception Island, the sea was boiling and it was heading towards us from the starboard bow, as it got closer it was 1000's of penguins they swam straight under the ship and came out on the port stern. They were being chased by Orca. It was amazing. And if that didn't top it off ten minutes later , a humpback breached right next to our Balcony.

• Like 3

Lofoten Islands returning from North Cape Norway. Just before midnight I noticed seabirds circling and plunge diving, then fish jumping. Then bang!, a pod of Orca feeding on the bait ball, all this about 100 yards from the ship as we slowly sailed past. Even David Attenborough would have been impressed.

• Like 2