Anyone ever stayed in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea pre cruise?

luvseadays

We have temporarily booked a pre cruise, smaller beach area hotel here.Are we too far from the cruise terminal? Anyone have any input on the area, cost of transportation to Port Everglades, and any other information that might be helpful for us? We booked our stay for 10/31-11/02, then on the Coral sailing through the canal on November 2. Because of the big boat show in FLL, rates in the area are just too high for us. 

Edited by luvseadays

Easy to schedule Uber to the port or taxi or private car.  Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is a nice place.  Be sure to go to Aruba's Cafe - great food and get the Bimini Bread.  Our other favorite spot to eat is Laspadas - best cold subs in the world!

LBTS is often considered one of the better beach locations on South Florida.  Uber to the port will be reasonable and readily available.  It's a great place to stay. Have fun. 

22 minutes ago, BNBR said:

LBTS is often considered one of the better beach locations on South Florida.  Uber to the port will be reasonable and readily available.  It's a great place to stay. Have fun. 

What we wanted to hear. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

Easy to schedule Uber to the port or taxi or private car.  Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is a nice place.  Be sure to go to Aruba's Cafe - great food and get the Bimini Bread.  Our other favorite spot to eat is Laspadas - best cold subs in the world!

We’re staying at “Blue Strawberry Inn”. Have u heard of it? If so, is there anywhere in that area to pick up our wine for the cruise? Grocery store preferably as we might need some snacks for the 2 days at the Inn. Thanks for the tip on Aruba’s, will definitely try it!

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Too far? Google says 20 minutes. You're fine. Heck, we usually stay in West Palm Beach.

If you're not going to have a car, you can do an Uber to the port.

We haven’t decided on a car just yet. Debating the issue as we speak. 😉  cost comparison between Uber from the airport, then Uber to Port Everglades. Also if we can pick up our wine within walking distance to the Inn where we’re staying. 

On 10/9/2019 at 7:35 PM, BlueHerons said:

Love LBTS!!

Really great, walkable area with fantastic restaurants.  Village Cafe, Arubas, etc.

We were hoping for just that, thanks for the input. Now if we can find out if there is somewhere to buy wine for the cruise within walking distance, I’ll be happy to go! 

On 10/9/2019 at 3:51 PM, Michelle c said:

Thanks for asking this question! I have recently booked The Seacrest in Lauderdale by the sea and was wondering the same things...transportation, restaurants, etc.

Hotel Seacrest is wonderful, probably would go there again, but now with kids they wont take us. We have great escape inn booked for a couple of nights after cruise. LBTS is one of my favorite spots in FL, it's like a small beach town inside Fort Lauderdale. Always felt very safe and easygoing. We've always had a car for transport, so no experience in ubering etc. Billy Jack's shack, Aruba, Village Grille, a small thai take-out and the NY deli next door to Winn Dixie, lots of great restaurants just to name a few.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:11 AM, luvseadays said:

We were hoping for just that, thanks for the input. Now if we can find out if there is somewhere to buy wine for the cruise within walking distance, I’ll be happy to go! 

There are tons of places to buy wine.

Plan on 35 minutes to the port.  It isn't the distance but the traffic.  Even if you drive out to I95, it is a heavily trafficked road.

Try and get to the boat show.  It's a blast!

On 10/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, luvseadays said:

We’re staying at “Blue Strawberry Inn”. Have u heard of it? If so, is there anywhere in that area to pick up our wine for the cruise? Grocery store preferably as we might need some snacks for the 2 days at the Inn. 

There's a Winn-Dixie less than a mile away from your hotel. Just head south on N Ocean Blvd and you can't miss it.

8 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

There are tons of places to buy wine.

Plan on 35 minutes to the port.  It isn't the distance but the traffic.  Even if you drive out to I95, it is a heavily trafficked road.

Try and get to the boat show.  It's a blast!

We were in the midst of it a couple of years ago, it was amazing! 

3 hours ago, luvseadays said:

Is it a walkable distance or too much traffic, etc?

I'm almost positive the Publix is much closer.  That Winn Dixie is actually in Galt Ocean Mile.

There is a Walgreens about two blocks from your hotel.

Edited by BlueHerons
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I'm almost positive the Publix is much closer.  That Winn Dixie is actually in Galt Ocean Mile.

There is a Walgreens about two blocks from your hotel.

Publix is actually 0,1 Miles further...😉 according to Google Maps. Then again, the Sea Ranch Centre where it's located, houses plenty more shops and if I stand correct there's also a liquor store.

9 hours ago, luvseadays said:

Is it a walkable distance or too much traffic, etc?

Sure it is, there's a good sidewalk going all the way. If you have time and want to enjoy the ocean breeze, you can always walk on the beach and get out to the streets at Galt.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm going to a completely new neighborhood, I play with Google's street view. I'll have a virtual stroll just a couple of blocks each direction where I'm staying, so that I have some kind of an idea what to expect.

8 hours ago, Oak1981 said:

Publix is actually 0,1 Miles further...😉 according to Google Maps. Then again, the Sea Ranch Centre where it's located, houses plenty more shops and if I stand correct there's also a liquor store.

Sure it is, there's a good sidewalk going all the way. If you have time and want to enjoy the ocean breeze, you can always walk on the beach and get out to the streets at Galt.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm going to a completely new neighborhood, I play with Google's street view. I'll have a virtual stroll just a couple of blocks each direction where I'm staying, so that I have some kind of an idea what to expect.

There is no ocean breeze on Galt Ocean Mile.  The canyon of high rises blocks any view or breeze from the ocean.

37 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

There is no ocean breeze on Galt Ocean Mile.  The canyon of high rises blocks any view or breeze from the ocean.

I meant there's a breeze on the beach. Sorry if my English is poorly understandable.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, luvseadays said:

What we wanted to hear. Thank you. 

We’re staying at “Blue Strawberry Inn”. Have u heard of it? If so, is there anywhere in that area to pick up our wine for the cruise? Grocery store preferably as we might need some snacks for the 2 days at the Inn. Thanks for the tip on Aruba’s, will definitely try it!

There is a Publix grocery store.  Check the distance.  One time without a car, we took a suitcase with wheels to walk back with our groceries and drinks!