Thinking of going to South America and Antarctica on Princess ?

scubacruiserx2

6 minutes ago, Greg4502 said:

I was on the Emerald Princess, while taking this cruise. The people that did take this excursion said it was worth the money and liked it very much. A once in a lifetime thing, if you are never going back that way.

We're glad to hear that they enjoyed their excursion . Princess may only be able to cruise around Antarctica a couple of more years but that tours runs from Puenta Arenas , Chile so it may continue to operate from SA .

• Like 1

Buenos Aires

DSC05673_zpsod7jcpfw.jpg

Ushuaia

IMG_2338-001_zpsa181f3dc.jpg

Antarctica

IMG_8373_zps8kjjkc2s.jpg

Stanley Falkland , Islands

DSC04932_zpsvgedrp6a.jpg

Punta Arenas

Buenos Aires

DSC05673_zpsod7jcpfw.jpg

Ushuaia

IMG_2338-001_zpsa181f3dc.jpg

Antarctica

IMG_8373_zps8kjjkc2s.jpg

Stanley Falkland , Islands

DSC04932_zpsvgedrp6a.jpg

Punta Arenas

IMG_7087%202_zpsoxskvzgq.jpg

Montevideo

DSC05286_zpsjfngrjuu.jpg

Montevideo

DSC05286_zpsjfngrjuu.jpg

• Like 1

We flew into Buenos Aires on a day flight arriving in the evening. We stayed at the Amerian Hotel .

The Amerian Hotel

DSC03086_zpsncwgsnfy.jpg

We would be staying in BA after our cruise but we were leaving in the morning for Patagonia .  An 11:30  3 hour flight further South .

DSC03136_zpsuisaynu7.jpg

A ham and cheese and Mate tea bag 

DSC03138%202_zpswhy4birc.jpg

Beautiful lakes ,

DSC03150%202_zpsawsyjiyp.jpg

snow capped mountains and Lenticular clouds . This is why we came here .

DSC03156%202_zpsgrpmes92.jpg

Coming in for a landing

DSC03175%202_zpsj3tvuyw9.jpg

Finding our luggage was easy but we had to pass it through an X-Ray machine . At our rent a car place we were told that our rental car had been wrecked by the wind flipping it into a tree . We were also cautioned to park facing into the wind to avoid having the doors ripped off . Welcome to Patagonia !

The crosswind was about 50 mph from the left ( West ) . Shots from the car with my pocket camera

DSC03178_zpsetptj7u3.jpg

Guanaco alert

DSC03180_zpsnuhs4qis.jpg

This thread has been very interesting! I'll be on the Island Princess in January and February, 2020 circumnavigating South America including Easter Island. I'm taking an overland tour to the Galapagos islands and Machu Picchu. We'll be going to ports of Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Falkland island and Montevideo, as well as 18 others. I think this is the best SA itinerary I've ever seen. 

On 10/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, NavyVeteran said:

No one is sailing "to" Antarctica on Princess - you may be sailing "by" Antarctica. If you want to sail "to" Antarctica, you have to book a ship with no more than 500 passengers.

One can go "to" a place and never enter.   e.g., "I went to the bank, but it was closed."

11 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

This thread has been very interesting! I'll be on the Island Princess in January and February, 2020 circumnavigating South America including Easter Island. I'm taking an overland tour to the Galapagos islands and Machu Picchu. We'll be going to ports of Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Falkland island and Montevideo, as well as 18 others. I think this is the best SA itinerary I've ever seen. 

It sounds like a great trip ! Punta Arenas has day trips to Antarctica . We went to see the Torres del Paine from there which we will show later . Also Magdelena Island for penguins which we will also show later .

On 10/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, NavyVeteran said:

No one is sailing "to" Antarctica on Princess - you may be sailing "by" Antarctica. If you want to sail "to" Antarctica, you have to book a ship with no more than 500 passengers.

I cruised "to" Antarctica and never got off the ship. Fortunately your semantics are incorrect 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We were also cautioned to park facing into the wind to avoid having the doors ripped off .

Oh my! Sounds a bit like Iceland where you are required to insure against the likelihood of wind damage. Thanks for sharing. We're doing this cruise on the Coral in December.

48 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Oh my! Sounds a bit like Iceland where you are required to insure against the likelihood of wind damage. Thanks for sharing. We're doing this cruise on the Coral in December.

We didn't drive in Iceland when we were there but we hope to in August . Hopefully this will help you in planning or give you ideas of what to expect or see .

9 hours ago, icat2000 said:

So basically, Princess with its current ships in the future are not going to be able to do Antarctica? 

From our understanding , Yes .

Anyone considering an Arctic or Antarctic cruise should be aware of the new IMO Polar Code that comes into full force on 1st Jan. 2022.

The code will effect all large cruise ships & current expedition vessels as they renew there 5 year certificates before 2022.

New buildings are built to the code & this is why many have delayed completion dates & are costing a lot more to build.

A few ships have had very expensive refits to meet the code requirements.

IMO-Polar-Class.jpg

Entering El Chalten . The peaks were backlit and we were hoping for better light in the morning 

IMG_7115_zpszlmxozjz.jpg

We stayed in El Chalten which is a hiking area , but with bad knees we will not do much hiking . We stayed at Los Cerros in the CH. Darwin room . We had a shower and a large tub which has a window overlooking the bedroom with a selfie reflection .

DSC03200_zpsx7akoxvq.jpg

DSC03195_zpss3wsqddt.jpg

DSC03201_zpsxjp39tj9.jpg

DSC03198_zps0xmea2qi.jpg

Some views from our hotel before dinner

IMG_7125_zpsdeennvrz.jpg

IMG_7127_zpsqdmzsplq.jpg

IMG_7129_zps8l7zbd79.jpg

We had dinner at La Taperia which was very good . I didn't bring my camera so no food photos . This photo is from Google Maps .

Screenshot%202019-01-14%2007.44.12_zpskh

At bed time the wind almost sounded like a hurricane . But it died over night and the sun was out so we jumped in the car for a ride , retracing our steps .

On 10/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

We're glad to hear that they enjoyed their excursion . Princess may only be able to cruise around Antarctica a couple of more years but that tours runs from Puenta Arenas , Chile so it may continue to operate from SA .

I see someone posted about new safety codes for the ships sailing around Antarctica.  Are there extra  safety measures taken on oboard that you could notice on current sailings on Princess ships?

Edited by travelbug615

30 minutes ago, travelbug615 said:

I see someone posted about new safety codes for the ships sailing around Antarctica.  Are there extra  safety measures taken on oboard that you could notice on current sailings on Princess ships?

We observed no additional safety measures on our cruise . A lot of the code is to protect the environment . We were not allowed to eat , drink ,  smoke or make loud noises outside while in Antarctic waters .

• Like 1

IMG_7140_zpsqd1dt1ad.jpg

IMG_7137_zpss0tt2d9a.jpg

We began heading Southeast on Route 23 taking photos .

IMG_7147_zpsqzg8gt92.jpg

We saw this road sign for some islands far out to sea that we would be visiting on the cruise .

IMG_7149_zpsry7cdugu.jpg

There has been a dispute there between Argentina and the U.K. Malvinas is the Argentinian name and the Falkland Islands is the British one .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

Just to clarify, these new codes that will be effective in 2022, are only for Antarctic waters? Would "around the Horn/Drake passage" cruises be impacted also? I am very interested in a cruise around the Horn, but would be OK not doing Antarctica at all. If all of them are impacted, I need to step up my planning!

41 minutes ago, nattie said:

Just to clarify, these new codes that will be effective in 2022, are only for Antarctic waters? Would "around the Horn/Drake passage" cruises be impacted also? I am very interested in a cruise around the Horn, but would be OK not doing Antarctica at all. If all of them are impacted, I need to step up my planning!

Our understanding is that it affects Antarctica and the Arctic Circle including Greenland . For this reason we booked a cruise that does a couple of ports there for next Summer . Around the Horn should be OK .