Cruise Critic Community
Spanky My

Wet Landing Question

We have several wet landings on our upcoming cruise. My question is how many folks generally are in a zodiac during a wet landing at a time ?

Posted (edited)

I think it was 8 passengers max on our Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise.

Edited by new_cruiser

Tree gat sounds about right. And in terms of “wet” we’ve had some shallow landings where they take you about up in shore and you barely get wet. In at least one place in French Polynesia we were wet up to our knees. Some can be rocky. Invest in water socks. Worth every penny. 

What is a wet landing? We're booked on the Alaska/Asia cruise next August, will we have one?

54 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

What is a wet landing? We're booked on the Alaska/Asia cruise next August, will we have one?

Likely not. 

there are three types of landing. You’re moored at the dock and just walk off the ship. You’re anchored and take a ship’s tender into the dock for a dry landing. You’re taken to shore on a zodiac and you jump off and make your way to shore. There are always people to help. We’ve had these in Costa Rica and French Polynesia. From a zodiac, you usually sit on the side facing in, you spin your legs off and then scoot off. 

3 minutes ago, milepig said:

Likely not. 

there are three types of landing. You’re moored at the dock and just walk off the ship. You’re anchored and take a ship’s tender into the dock for a dry landing. You’re taken to shore on a zodiac and you jump off and make your way to shore. There are always people to help. We’ve had these in Costa Rica and French Polynesia. From a zodiac, you usually sit on the side facing in, you spin your legs off and then scoot off. 

Thank you. That sounds like a lot of fun but maybe not so much in Alaska.

As far as I know, in Alaska the zodiacs are only used for the sound tours where you exit and return to the ship with no landing. Correct?

A wet landing is when the "port" is a beach. In many ports, you are docked (i.e. you walk off the ship down steps or a ramp to land) or tendered to a pier (a boat takes you from the ship to a pier. 

There aren't any Windstar wet landings in Alaska and I wouldn't expect any on the Asia part of an Alaska Asia itinerary. The Panama Canal / Costa Rica itineraries have wet landings. The overview page for the itineraries indicates that they have wet landings:

• "This cruise utilizes wet landings to get you up-close to natural wonders. Zodiacs, rugged inflatable boats, deliver you directly from the ship to the beach, where you will disembark directly in the water. More information on Wet  Landings can be found HERE"

I'd expect other Windstar itineraries with wet landings to have a similar notice. 

5 minutes ago, milepig said:

As far as I know, in Alaska the zodiacs are only used for the sound tours where you exit and return to the ship with no landing. Correct?

That and to get to kayaks for kayak tours so that the kayaking distances are kept reasonable. On the kayak tours, you transfer from the ship to the zodiac just as you do for the zodiac tours. Then you transfer from the zodiac to the kayak mid-water - the kayak is held tightly to the side of the zodiac so you can swing your legs over the side of the zodiac into the kayak and then slide into the seat. There is plenty of help doing the transfer. After kayaking, you go from the kayak to the zodiac and ride the zodiac back to the ship.

Windstar provides waterproof pants and gloves for the zodiac and kayak tours. 

Windstar doesn't do wet landings in Alaska. There are some small ship lines in Alaska, that do wet landings  (e.g. Uncruise, Alaska Dream, Linblad) but they provide waterproof boots so one can do it without getting soaked by the very cold water. 

The wet landings in Panama/Costa Rica did tend to be beach sand and were much easier than sharp and mossy  rock exits we did in (not Windstar) the Galapagos. On Windstar, I noticed concern on the faces of older (?) cruisers just boarding the Zodiacs at the ship, with moderate to high wave action. Since I have some balance problems at 68, I could understand that. Hip and knee flexibility is an issue as well. You are wearing a life vest during the transfer.

One or two wet landings turned out to be dry after all. Local mooring and port conditions.

Thanks to all for your responses. If they only take 8 people at a time is going to take quite a while to get off the ship. If you have independent tours scheduled like we do it maybe a concern.

20 minutes ago, Spanky My said:

Thanks to all for your responses. If they only take 8 people at a time is going to take quite a while to get off the ship. If you have independent tours scheduled like we do it maybe a concern.

Talk to reception or the tour desk when on board. Be clear "we're being met onshore at xxx time. Will this be an issue?

Obviously, the first priority for WS is to get people on ship and onto their tours - and the language in various places is clear about this.

But, if they know you need off they're do their best. Also, it is fairly common that there will be time to do one zodiac round before the tours begin to leave. If they know, they'll save room for you then.

On Wind Star Adventures in Panama and Costa Rica, we didn't have a long wait to get off the ship. They run at least two zodiacs and we were moored close enough that it was a pretty short turn around time.  The exception was the beach BBQ day in Isla Parida - the itinerary says 7 AM to 6 PM which reflects the time the ship is anchored, but the first passenger tender was much later after they had transferred all the chairs, food, etc to the island. In that case, its a small island and one isn't likely to have an independent tour set up there, but it might be similar if there are other itineraries with a beach BBQ wet landing day.