Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Areas to watch Oct. 6 to 13

Recommended Posts

Welcome to a special edition of areas to watch this week!  Why?  Because I get on Norwegian Breakaway next Sunday so you better believe I am paying close attention LOL.

 

So two areas to watch in the Atlantic.  The yellow is 30% and the oragne 50% change to develop into a cyclone over 5 days.  This far north, the water is not as warm and more subtropical than tropical. That means much less likely to develop at all, and much less likely to become very strong. So these don't worry me (even though I depart from Miami).  I can't find any models with consensus on motion or strength for these, so for those cruising from NY or Boston I just don't see a lot of risk here.  I hope I am right!

 

Elswehere there is nothing to see for 5 days.  Good.

 

two_atl_5d0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also leaving for Miami on Friday to board the MSC on Saturday - fingers crossed no issues!!

 

Looks to be a rainy/wet week this week in Miami. Hopefully us northerners bring some sunshine to the state!

 

Thank you for the continued updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

Enjoy your cruise, Bill!

 

2 hours ago, JC5240 said:

Also leaving for Miami on Friday to board the MSC on Saturday - fingers crossed no issues!!

 

Looks to be a rainy/wet week this week in Miami. Hopefully us northerners bring some sunshine to the state!

 

Thank you for the continued updates.

 

Thank you both!

 

The really keen-eyed weather watchers are talking about various low pressure areas and models but both the areas of interest being noted by NOAA are expected to be of no worry and stay well out to sea... with perhaps a minor concern for NCL Escape and anyone else heading to Bermuda next week.  That is the only thing I am watching.  There is nothing really anywhere else... just the rainy season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have three areas of interest that look to all flow together into s heck of s storm off the east coast in a couple days. Each has a fairly low chance to become a depression or storm but there is a chance. Then they group up and the squad will make some wicked wind and rain and seas.   Hoping it moves along quickly so NCL Escape makes it back for their Sunday NY sailing. My brother is on that sailing as I get on Breakaway in Miami on Sunday.  One of the storms could be a depression tonight according to NOAA. That seems like a higher than 40% statement but we shall see...

 

094F59B5-3AF6-4186-9525-4EAF9E933EC3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, PelicanBill said:

 

 

Thank you both!

 

The really keen-eyed weather watchers are talking about various low pressure areas and models but both the areas of interest being noted by NOAA are expected to be of no worry and stay well out to sea... with perhaps a minor concern for NCL Escape and anyone else heading to Bermuda next week.  That is the only thing I am watching.  There is nothing really anywhere else... just the rainy season!

I am heading to Bermuda on Sunday via the Escape.  What is this "minor concern" you speak of?  LOL!

 

Let's hope for GREAT weather for everyone!  If not, I will have a great time no matter what Mother Nature brings 🙂

 

Have a wonderful cruise PelicanBill! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I am heading to Bermuda on Sunday via the Escape.  What is this "minor concern" you speak of?  LOL!

 

Let's hope for GREAT weather for everyone!  If not, I will have a great time no matter what Mother Nature brings 🙂

 

Have a wonderful cruise PelicanBill! 

 

Feel free to report my brother to Security when he gets out of hand.  Have a good trip... I remain optimistic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Outlook for the areas off the east coast is improved... down to 20% each and let's just hope they move along.

 

Still watching the one out east of Bermuda and hope it does not develop or march further west.

 

two_atl_5d0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a nasty storm off the coast but no cycles.  All areas down to 10% now.  The storm should pass by the time Escape needs to come in to NYC.  Hope all other cruises in that area get around it successfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ruh roh. Low pressure in the western Caribbean will move west toward Honduras and Belize. My first two ports next week.  20% chance to develop. A new wave coming off Africa not favorable to develop for now.

 

5D296913-6C66-4C87-80CC-7D535902374A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthem of the Seas was to leave from Bayonne yesterday at 4 but stayed anchored somewhere nearby until early this AM due to the nasty storm stalled in the northeast. She's underway now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, floatn said:

Anthem of the Seas was to leave from Bayonne yesterday at 4 but stayed anchored somewhere nearby until early this AM due to the nasty storm stalled in the northeast. She's underway now.

Ahhh thanks for the update.  I was wondering about Anthem!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the cruisemapper.com... map with wind and wave info.... looks like Grandeur, Anthem folks are not having a good time 5-6 meter seas and gale force winds...Also Regal Princess, AIDA Diva and Carnival Sunrise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Situation is unchanged. Watching the low pressure in the western Caribbean especially relative to my ports of Roatan and Harvest Caye early next week... yikes...   and a low coming off Africa to keep an eye on. 

 

I get on Breakaway today!  I was awake early and took a walk to the port bridge...3C466510-D5D4-437B-84C5-5CCD750B10BF.thumb.jpeg.dfefaf9b1f2ef5eb68ecd03677d91e85.jpeg

A1A1D009-DF85-49E3-9E21-7078F1EF5E5A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The the western Caribbean disturbance moved over land and left a beautiful day for us in Roatan. But it has a 40% chance to do more in the gulf and is heading toward Texas later in the week. 

 

Thr disturbance off Africa is now depression 15 but does not had a direction of travel that threatens cruise interests. 

 

Thr disturbance east of the windward islands is fading away. 

 

A new new coastal storm is brewing and may give those in Bermuda and New England a rough ride home.

 

9F2D239F-2162-4E83-923E-56D1817882D9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update! Following as I'm hoping to book a last minute cruise the end of October/ November.  i thought I'd wait until end of week to book something.  if not, i initiate plan B.  i wish i didn't get seasick as i love to cruise.  i know you can't predict that far in advance but since i have the luxury of grabbing whatever last minute deals are available, i will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DeeBerry said:

Thanks for the update! Following as I'm hoping to book a last minute cruise the end of October/ November.  i thought I'd wait until end of week to book something.  if not, i initiate plan B.  i wish i didn't get seasick as i love to cruise.  i know you can't predict that far in advance but since i have the luxury of grabbing whatever last minute deals are available, i will.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We seem to have just the pesky are that was in the western Caribbean. Now it is moving into the gulf with a 50% chance to develop and a direction that lead to anywhere from Louisiana to Florida. Pay attention...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruise has chased behind bad weather at each of the first 3 ports leaving g us with fantastic days. But depression 16 is forming in the lower gulf with a path toward the panhandle and beyond. Take a look.   Any have cruise plans in the gulf the next 3 days?

 

01C24E66-AA6D-4C87-9439-CC55ED458BB8.png

Edited by PelicanBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

My cruise has chased behind bad weather at each of the first 3 ports leaving g us with fantastic days. But depression 16 is forming in the lower gulf with a path toward the panhandle and beyond. Take a look.   Any have cruise plans in the gulf the next 3 days?

 

01C24E66-AA6D-4C87-9439-CC55ED458BB8.png

Hi! It's me again.  Still trying to decide.  do you think it can potentially affect the cruise that leaves Oct 26th?

 

still on the fence after the latest development 

thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, DeeBerry said:

Hi! It's me again.  Still trying to decide.  do you think it can potentially affect the cruise that leaves Oct 26th?

 

still on the fence after the latest development 

thank you!

Hi there. In general terms the tropics are cooling off as we head to late October and November but as you can see storms still come about. 

 

So it’s all about how much uncertainty you are willing to risk and please buy trip insurance!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My comments yesterday never posted... internet troubles on the ship or in Mexico. 

 

Well we got weak tropical storm Nestor crossing into Florida today then making a wet mess through the mid Atlantic. But it is a fast mover and should not create any cruise issues or bad flooding. All quiet elsewhere. 

 

D131C40F-6268-4617-AB66-BFE688A16807.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

My comments yesterday never posted... internet troubles on the ship or in Mexico. 

 

Well we got weak tropical storm Nestor crossing into Florida today then making a wet mess through the mid Atlantic. But it is a fast mover and should not create any cruise issues or bad flooding. All quiet elsewhere. 

 

D131C40F-6268-4617-AB66-BFE688A16807.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...