Maui - Kaanapali and Kapalua Bay Beach Conditions

Aquaticdreams

We’re trying to decide between Kaanapali and Kapalua Bay beach for a half day in Maui during the first week in November. I can’t swim so I’ve been reading a lot about them to see which one has better conditions. The debate is all over the map. Some say Kaanapali can be dangerous with a difficult entry, hard shore break, and drop off. Others say it’s nice and calm. Same thing for Kapalua. Some say it’s too far north and has dangerously strong waves and currents. Others say it’s calm and shallow. I know each beach is nice for different reasons (i.e. Ka’anapali is livelier, etc.) so we will enjoy either one. We’re not looking to snorkel either, just nice easy swimming. My only deciding factor at this point is which beach is calmer?? And maybe if there’s a particular section of the beach that’s good/bad. Any ideas? Thanks!

What PART of Ka'anapali? Just the South beach is over a mile long, North is over a mile and a half long. There are all kinds of entries and currents. And the conditions change daily, weekly and monthly.

The beach in front of the Sheraton is pretty easy on entry, Hyatt Regency is steeper, in general. An ocean swell from  different direction can change everything.

I am also really confused on why if you "can’t swim" you want a place that has "just nice easy swimming"?

All that aside, I would not stay in Kapalua in November.

The reason you hear conflicting opinions is because ocean conditions vary from day to day.  So for one person it was calm and for another there were currents, etc.  Also different areas of Hawaii are calmer/rougher at different times of the year. 

Kapalua is my favorite area of Maui.  We plan to go as far as Kapalua on our cruise coming up in November.  However, for a true beach day,  I would pick Kaanapali.  Kapalua has become very crowded and it's a much smaller beach footprint than Kaanapali.  There are also lots of places along Kaanapali beach to get lunch, a gelato, a drink at a Tiki bar, etc. and a paved beach walk you can walk along.  If you have kids, you can take them into the Westin and Hyatt to see the birds and the penguins.  Be sure to get a lava flow at the Tiki Bar in front of the Kaanapali beach hotel!  🙂

Be aware there are no lifeguards at either beach. If I can't swim, I am not going in the ocean no matter how calm it is.  Hawaii experiences many drownings every year.  If you will be docking in Kahului, the south Maui Kamaole beaches are closer to port and have lifeguards.

Edited by Beachiekeen

We stay at both Kapalua and Kaanapali when we go to Maui-- they are both very different. The beaches in Kaanapali are much better for swimming-- the ones in Kapalua can be very rough and there are several people killed each year swimming there by getting swept into the rocks. 

If you are going for a half day definitely go with Kaanapali-- much better beach. The only reason to go further up the road to Kapalua (read longer drive) would be to stay over in one of the resorts there (Montage or Ritz-Carlton) which we find to be nicer than the resorts on Kaanapali. The beach at the Ritz-Carlton though is far inferior to the stretch on Kaanapali from Black Rock in front of the Sheraton to the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. And yes-- you have to go visit Dale the barkeep at the tiki hut there. 

3 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

The beach will be best for taking a "dip" to get wet.  Some of the shoreline is rocky, too.

You're talking about Kapalua right? Because I don't want anyone to think that Kaanapali is rocky-- its not. It's a very nice beach that it's easy to swim and snorkel from. 

We were right there at the Sheraton (Black Rock) in May of this year (2019) (Kaanapali) and I would never ever venture into the water.  The ocean conditions were nasty.  It was great to sit and watch the waves and to walk along the beach but getting into that water would have been life ending.  I can understand now why there are so many people who drown.  Best to swim in the hotel pool.   

There 

On 10/6/2019 at 5:59 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

We’re trying to decide between Kaanapali and Kapalua Bay beach for a half day in Maui during the first week in November. I can’t swim so I’ve been reading a lot about them to see which one has better conditions. The debate is all over the map. Some say Kaanapali can be dangerous with a difficult entry, hard shore break, and drop off. Others say it’s nice and calm. Same thing for Kapalua. Some say it’s too far north and has dangerously strong waves and currents. Others say it’s calm and shallow. I know each beach is nice for different reasons (i.e. Ka’anapali is livelier, etc.) so we will enjoy either one. We’re not looking to snorkel either, just nice easy swimming. My only deciding factor at this point is which beach is calmer?? And maybe if there’s a particular section of the beach that’s good/bad. Any ideas? Thanks!

There are webcams in both areas you can look at and decide.

14 hours ago, pink845 said:

We were right there at the Sheraton (Black Rock) in May of this year (2019) (Kaanapali) and I would never ever venture into the water.  The ocean conditions were nasty.

Unfortunately you just came at the wrong time. Normally they call that body of water "Lake Maui" given how consistently calm it is with low surf. We were also there in May this year and the surf was the highest I've ever seen it in 10 years of regularly going.  

On 10/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, scottca075 said:

What PART of Ka'anapali? Just the South beach is over a mile long, North is over a mile and a half long. There are all kinds of entries and currents. And the conditions change daily, weekly and monthly.

The beach in front of the Sheraton is pretty easy on entry, Hyatt Regency is steeper, in general. An ocean swell from  different direction can change everything.

I am also really confused on why if you "can’t swim" you want a place that has "just nice easy swimming"?

All that aside, I would not stay in Kapalua in November.

I was there 2 weeks in a row-   at the Sheraton entry.   Both weeks,   strong undertows,  AND rescues both weeks.    

On 10/11/2019 at 1:15 PM, princeton123211 said:

Unfortunately you just came at the wrong time. Normally they call that body of water "Lake Maui" given how consistently calm it is with low surf. We were also there in May this year and the surf was the highest I've ever seen it in 10 years of regularly going.  

I've been there multiple times-   with strong currents.   Above -  I mention,   I was there 2 weeks in a row in August-   rescues BOTH weeks,  and very strong currents.   

Thanks all! Yikes, it sounds like going for a dip may not be in the cards. I’m still open to Kapalua but I think we’ll probably go to Ka’anapali and hope for the best. If it turns out we can’t go in then we’ll just enjoy a walk on the beach and spending some time there. Its Hawaii after all so I’m sure it will be amazing either way! Any ideas on what stretch of Ka’anapali to visit? We’re not interested in Whalers Village because we’ll be doing our shopping in Lahaina so looking for other ideas. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks all! Yikes, it sounds like going for a dip may not be in the cards. I’m still open to Kapalua but I think we’ll probably go to Ka’anapali and hope for the best. If it turns out we can’t go in then we’ll just enjoy a walk on the beach and spending some time there. Its Hawaii after all so I’m sure it will be amazing either way! Any ideas on what stretch of Ka’anapali to visit? We’re not interested in Whalers Village because we’ll be doing our shopping in Lahaina so looking for other ideas. Thanks!

I've been going to Ka'anapali for 50+ years (Maui for 60 years) and seen big surf there (that wasn't directly storm related) maybe 3 times. Yes there can be strong currents anytime, but that is offshore. It isn't like you are in knee deep and swept off your feet and sucked out to sea (which I HAVE seen on other Hawaiian beaches).

As to which side, I'd choose the South (south of Black Rock) and don't rule out Whaler's Village; it has Hula Grill, Leilani's, Monkeypod Kitchen. Joey's Kitchen, Island Vintage Coffee, Ono Gelato, Ohana Tacos and Haagen Dazs. All are great stops for their various specialties.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

We’re not interested in Whalers Village because we’ll be doing our shopping in Lahaina so looking for other ideas.

Agree with Scott-- the south side bookended by Black Rock and the Hyatt (a decent size stretch of beach) is the place to be. In addition to the places he mentioned to eat in Whalers Village, THE place to get a great Mai Tai is at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel tiki hut by their pool-- ideally from Dale who has been there for decades (and works in the late afternoons). Little trick for a day visitor-- the pool at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel is nothing to write home about, but they wont say a word if you use it-- unlike the  other big resorts along the beach that make their guests wear wristbands to use the pool. 

Out of the hotels I tend to think that the Hyatt has the best food overall (as well as a grotto bar under their pool thats worth a gander) but Hula, Leilanis, and Monkeypod in Whalers Village are most likely the best for lunch. Theres a Starbucks along the beach in the Marriott, but  the best coffee is at Island Vintage tucked in the lower level of Whalers Village. They also have great breakfast items too which are much less expensive than what the hotels offer. 

If for some reason your departure isn't til late at night (I know some ships stay as late as 11pm), Lahaina Grill in town might be one of the best restaurants in Hawaii and is well worth having dinner ashore. Reservations would be a must. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I've been there multiple times-   with strong currents.   Above -  I mention,   I was there 2 weeks in a row in August-   rescues BOTH weeks,  and very strong currents. 

Then you just have bad luck-- we've been going multiple times a year for 15 years and can count on one hand how many times its been unswimmable. 

We have also stayed on the West Maui coast for over 30 years...we are on Maui now, but in Wailea.  We have swam the area many, many times, including even north of Kapalua. The further north on the coast, the more problem with safety. Ka'anapali has never been a problem when we gave been there.

We will be at the Hyatt at Ka'anapali next February. 

• Like 2

Aquaticdreams,  You have had some great tips from cc members who visit Maui often.  Having been to both Kapalua and Kaanapali I also vote for Kaanapali.  As some have said, it has great restaurants and a very good chance of calm water.  There is another beach in Lahaina called Baby Beach, it is right next to the pier where cruise ship tenders would come.  A possible option if you return from one of your other choices and just want a quick dip before heading back to the ship.  It's hard for me to recommend a beach to someone who does not swim, please be careful.  Have a great time,  Cherie     

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Given the mixed reviews about Ka’anapali and Kapalua we decided we will go to Ka’anapali for a half day. Hopefully we can go in but if not it sounds like It has a lot to offer regardless of the ocean conditions. We’ll spend the second half in Lahaina. We’re looking forward to a great day! We leave Friday and sail on Sunday. I’ll let you know what the conditions were like this time of year for anyone else sailing soon who might want to know.