Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Hansel and Gretel

Transport from Heathrow to Southampton

Recommended Posts

Has anyone used a particular service for transport from the airport to Southampton?  We are leaving Boston on the Thursday and will spend Friday night in Southampton.  Would appreciate any info you have to share.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the 'sticky' at the top of the page. All relevant links are in that post. If you are flying US to UK overnight (ie arriving Fri morning), I think your best (and cheapest) bet is the National Express coach from LHR to Southampton coach station. A 2hr 30 min trip, normally about £15 each, but often less! https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

BTW, our coaches are much nicer than yours!!

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We, too fly BOS to LHR and either use LHR Xpress if staying in London, or National Express Coach to Southampton. Are you flying BA or Virgin from BOS. BA arrives at Terminal 5, while Virgin uses Terminal 3.  Coach pick-up location is at 3 - LHR is a huge airport and so much better organized than Logan will ever be.  The coach is comfortable, easy to fall asleep if you're doing the evening flight. All luggage is stored under the bus.  Given the am't of time needed to clear passport control and find you way, it might be better to book an open ticket rather than a specific time slot. 

 

Darcy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Given the am't of time needed to clear passport control and find you way, it might be better to book an open ticket rather than a specific time slot. 

 

 

Thanks.

I'm not the OP,  but on the look out for useful info regarding transportation from Southampton to LHR.

Can we just "wing" it and buy tickets "on the spot"?

Edited by dani negreanu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Thanks.

I'm not the OP,  but on the look out for useful info regarding transportation from Southampton to LHR.

Can we just "wing" it and buy tickets "on the spot"?

I wouldn't just 'wing it'. Lots of 'foreigners' use the National Express coach to LHR and there are not that many services (about one every 2 hrs I think) from Southampton to LHR, so I would definately book as soon as you can. At least then you know you are going to get a seat! If you are on RCI, Celeb or NCL, they normally dock at City Cruise terminal which is a 15min level walk from the coach station. Although you can walk from any of the other terminals, a cab is probably more practical...usually £7 for the trip.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible to 'wing it'. but not desirable.

HOWEVER, if you did, and the Southampton Coach was full, you have a couple of other options

Coach -> Woking Station + train to Southampton

Coach -> Reading Station + train to Southampton

 

I've done the Woking Station + train many times (as where I lived was on the train line, but not on the coach line)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

I wouldn't just 'wing it'. Lots of 'foreigners' use the National Express coach to LHR and there are not that many services (about one every 2 hrs I think) from Southampton to LHR, so I would definately book as soon as you can. At least then you know you are going to get a seat! If you are on RCI, Celeb or NCL, they normally dock at City Cruise terminal which is a 15min level walk from the coach station. Although you can walk from any of the other terminals, a cab is probably more practical...usually £7 for the trip.

 

Simon

 

Thanks, Simon, appreciate the detailed answer.

So, if I may ask, our cruise ends Sunday morning.

We have a flight back to Tel Aviv at 3.30PM out of LHR. We travel light -- carry on only, and not afraid of walking (baring torrential rain....). Assuming City Cruise terminal (Celebrity) and lots of "foreigners" too. Shall we book a 9.30AM bus??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Thanks, Simon, appreciate the detailed answer.

So, if I may ask, our cruise ends Sunday morning.

We have a flight back to Tel Aviv at 3.30PM out of LHR. We travel light -- carry on only, and not afraid of walking (baring torrential rain....). Assuming City Cruise terminal (Celebrity) and lots of "foreigners" too. Shall we book a 9.30AM bus??

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. Walk off starts about 0700, but as long as you are off by 0845, you should be OK.

Here is a map https://www.google.com/maps/dir/50.9000384,-1.4139792/National+Express/@50.9025382,-1.4126453,1195m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x2905675d608e9709!2m2!1d-1.4089322!2d50.9060757!3e2

Just follow the blue dots! When you come out of the port at Dock Gate 8 (between Mayflower Park and the Holiday Inn), turn sharp left through the Holiday Inn car park to cut the corner. Don't forget when booking your tickets to specify which terminal you need at LHR. T5 and T4 have their own stops outside, T3 and T2 will drop you at the Central Bus station, about 10 min walk to the terminals.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sddsddean said:

Don't forget when booking your tickets to specify which terminal you need at LHR. T5 and T4 have their own stops outside,

 

Awesome, we're T4. Many thanks !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just confirming Simon's posts

Yes, do pre-book Nat Express both ways.

From Heathrow's T2 & T3 it's a short walk to the airport's "central bus station". If you arrive at T4 or T5 (both remote from T's 2 & 3), the bus picks up on the concourses at both of those terminals..

 

You have to select a bus time when you book - allow at least 90 minutes for formalities from scheduled landing time to bus time.

Subject to availability of seats you can switch to an earlier or later bus with a small admin charge (?£5?).

 

Better to be pessimistic about what time bus you can make............

- if you're in time for an earlier one and there are seats available, great. But if it''s fully booked, you're guaranteed seats on the one you booked. 

- if you're not in time for the one that you booked, you just gotta pray that the next one's not fully booked.

 

By  RailAir bus to Woking or Reading then train to Southampton, as Scottbee's post, is no fun, esp with luggage.

And it's more expensive, about £44 per person - for two people that's about the same cost as a pre-booked private transfer.

But it's a useful Plan B if you screw-up. Approx half-hourly service & no need to pre-book.

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Yes, no worries booking a bus at about 9.30am from Southampton.

But if you're allocated a late disembarkation time, go to Guest Relations and ask for an earlier disembarkation time (8.30 at the very latest) to tie in with your onward travel arrangements.

And  you can't switch tickets to an earlier or later bus. That facility is only available on journeys from airports.  If you switch to a different bus time, your tickets are trash & you'll have to pay again.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John Bull said:

But if you're allocated a late disembarkation time, go to Guest Relations and ask for an earlier disembarkation time (8.30 at the very latest) to tie in with your onward travel arrangements.

 

Thanks, John.

We travel only with a carry on and always do self assist -- one piece of luggage lost in a flight and one lost at the cruise's end -- we make do with a "diminished garderobe".....😁

BTW, I've just made a "booking simulation" for our return date -- and was surprised by the high price (or is it?) - 21 pound pp (nonrefundable) and 26 refundable. With the commission -- 54 pounds. Not a huge difference from a private transfer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Thanks, John.

We travel only with a carry on and always do self assist -- one piece of luggage lost in a flight and one lost at the cruise's end -- we make do with a "diminished garderobe".....😁

BTW, I've just made a "booking simulation" for our return date -- and was surprised by the high price (or is it?) - 21 pound pp (nonrefundable) and 26 refundable. With the commission -- 54 pounds. Not a huge difference from a private transfer....

 

Hi Dani.

 

Captive audience - because there's no dcent rail alternative, Nat Express can bump up the price.

Annoyingly, that bus starts in central London, calling at Heathrow en-route - and the fare from central London is under £10 !!

(But you can't book from central London & board at Heathrow)

 

£54 vs around £90 for a private transfer.

Your money, your call

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sddsddean said:

How was your yachting trip JB? Not too rough I hope 😉.

 

Simon

 

Early October is a risky shoulder-season for a gulet cruise in the Adriatic, Simon,.

We had a magnificent thunderstorm one evening (in harbour), and choppy seas next day - but other than that we had great weather & seas. :classic_smile:

Wish I could say the same about the cabin & bed - my back is still recovering. :classic_rolleyes:

 

Off Split we had a  race  with a HAL ship (Koningsdam,  IIRC)

We lost - and bobbed a while in its wake.

 

The Croatian islands are ideal, and super little harbours.

Good value too.

Always wanted to try a gulet.

Enjoyed it immensely.

But once is enough :classic_wink:

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Captive audience - because there's no decent rail alternative, Nat Express can bump up the price.

 

Hi John,

A question if I may --

I was just discussing the pricing of NE on the Israeli cruise forum, and someone advised that he got "senior" rates when traveling (on NE) from LHR to Southampton. Is it true, and if so, are "foreigners" eligible to use it? (DH and I are both over 65).

Thanks again, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Hi John,

A question if I may --

I was just discussing the pricing of NE on the Israeli cruise forum, and someone advised that he got "senior" rates when traveling (on NE) from LHR to Southampton. Is it true, and if so, are "foreigners" eligible to use it? (DH and I are both over 65).

Thanks again, 

 

Seniors' rates on Nat Express were subsidised by the UK govt. :classic_smile:

But a few years back, the Govt withdrew the subsidy, so seniors' rates were discontinued. :classic_sad:

 

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are flying into LHR early on departure day (9-23-20).  Our cruise on MSC doesn't depart until 8pm, so if we use private transport, will we be able to take the "scenic route"?  Or is the scenic route the normal way to Southampton?  If not, how much does that add to the cost of the transfer? 

Thanks for any assistance!!  I'm excited about Europe, but definitely unsure of the land travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Go Cubbies said:

We are flying into LHR early on departure day (9-23-20).  Our cruise on MSC doesn't depart until 8pm, so if we use private transport, will we be able to take the "scenic route"?  Or is the scenic route the normal way to Southampton?  If not, how much does that add to the cost of the transfer? 

Thanks for any assistance!!  I'm excited about Europe, but definitely unsure of the land travel.

 

 

You'll certainly have the time - but it'd be relatively expensive.

 

Anticipate about 90 minutes from LHR touch-down to meeting your driver in the arrivals hall.

From LHR the direct route to Southampton is about 65 miles,  85 minutes depending on day-of-the-week / time-of-day, and should cost a little under £100.

I guess last-registration time for the ship is around 5.30pm to 6pm, but that's something you should check.

From that you should have some idea of the time you'll have available for diversions and stops. 

 

 

Sadly the direct route (M3 motorway) is remarkably boring, with few worthwhile places on or very close to the route.

There are more-scenic (but not particularly scenic) routes such as the Meon Valley, but I don't rate the benefit worth the extra cost

 

https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/visit/#gs.p7ju0z 

Henry V111's Hampton Court isn't on the route, but is only about 6 - 8 mils from LHR. Worth a couple of hours, plus about 30 minutes driving-time.

 

https://www.rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle 

Windsor Castle is high on the must-do list for visitors to England and only 6 - 8 minutes from LHR (opposite direction to Hampton Court - so it's the one or the other, not both).

Worth up to 2 hours, and perhaps another half-hour to explore the compact town centre. Add 20 to 30 minutes to the driving-time.

 

https://www.milestonesmuseum.org.uk/ 

At Basingstoke, is about half-way, and only a couple of miles off-route. Not iconic like other places, but easier to reach and worth an hour or more.

 

https://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/

Highclere Castle (not actually a castle, more a Country House) has an interesting history. It was the home of Lord Carnarvon, who funded Howard Cater's discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamen (and was a victim of its subsequent curse), but is better known as the location of Downton Abbey. I'm no fan of Downton Abbey, never even managed to sit thro one episode, so I've never visited. But I guess it's worth 90 mins to 2 hours. If your partner is a Downton Abbey fan you'll earn brownie points if you arrange to go there. :classic_wink: Off-route, adds about 45 minutes driving time.  

 

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

and / or https://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/salisbury

Stonehenge is top of many folks' list, though I'm a pleb and see it as just a stack of stones. If it appeals, get back here for advice on booking cos of the admission timings. Allow about 90 minutes for a visit.

From Stonehenge, Salisbury is about 20 minutes closer to Southampton. Known for its glorious cathedral, but its laid-back historic city centre is also wonderful. A favourite little city of mine. Perhaps a couple of hours in the city.

Off-route - one or the other or both, adds about 45 minutes to the drive-time

 

https://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/ 

Winchester is close to Southampton and just a mile off-route. The ancient cathedral is worth an hour, and the compact city centre mebbe another hour.

 

I don't know the effect on costings - waiting time shouldn't be too drastically expensive, diversion costs will be variable.

 

Can I suggest you ask for quotes for no more than two of those options (you can always negotiate a change later).

Try

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

(all based a the Southampton end)

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

(airport-based)

 

If you can make a bus at LHR for 12.20pm I can suggest a much cheaper way to visit Salisbury -  and Stonehenge if your ship registration time allows.)

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to JB's already excellent list, there are a couple of other options, such as the Martime Museum in Portsmouth, and the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu, both of which are quite close to Southampton (under 20 miles).  it may be possible to get a shuttle from the airport to one of these places, visit, and then have a short trip back into Southampton.

 

and JB .. How about that.. 3 wins and a draw in the last 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scottbee said:

 

 

and JB .. How about that.. 3 wins and a draw in the last 4

 

Tell me about it. :classic_smile:

Watched 3 of the games - and they weren't flukey results. Well worth every point, though just maybe they caught both Chelsea and Spurs off-form due to their off-field problems.

Good Christmas / New Year results too for most other teams at the wrong end of the table, so only 5 points from safety even though they shot up to mid-table. The rest of the season's going to be quite a scramble for half the teams

 

And yes, both Beaulieu and Portsmouth historic dockyard well worth considering.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the info!! I will see what appeals to my other half from the options and ask for quotes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, John Bull said:

 

an I suggest you ask for quotes for no more than two of those options (you can always negotiate a change later).

Try

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

(all based a the Southampton end)

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

(airport-based)

 

 

Hello JB

 

I'm in dire need of your expertise. We 4 [adults] will be arriving LHR, T3/Virgin Atlantic, at 10:35 and doing egate passport control, then heading directly to Southampton, Novotel for 5 nights with one of the car services. DH will pick up the rental at Alamo near the hotel for our travels in the immediate area.  We are heading to a wedding at Remedy Oak on the 4th, and also planning a day in Portsmouth, Titanic walk, Tudor House, and whatever.

 

Now the return to LHR becomes the issue. Post cruises we have used Discover the South [part of Westquay] to arrange custom transfers and have been very pleased with the ability to come up with unique experiences beyond the usual tourist stops. Now, I find that Discover's website no longer exists. Is this a seasonal issue or has the service ceased? 

 

My post travel plans were to be picked up early on the 6th, [adding a 5th adult] travel directly to Hampton Court for about 3 hours, then onto LHR to check in for our early evening flight to Boston. Do you know of any other reliable van services that would offer something to accommodate this plan? 

 

Thank you

 

Darcy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

Hello JB

 

 

 

Now the return to LHR becomes the issue. Post cruises we have used Discover the South [part of Westquay] to arrange custom transfers and have been very pleased with the ability to come up with unique experiences beyond the usual tourist stops. Now, I find that Discover's website no longer exists. Is this a seasonal issue or has the service ceased? 

 

 

Darcy

 

Hi Darcy,

  

Yes, I had the same problem - "web a/c suspended"

So I phoned West Quay. They said there are tech issues with Discover the South's website but that they were trading as usual, and suggested you contact them via info@westquaycars.com 

Or, since it'd be problematic & time-consuming to build in an interesting route or stops between Southampton & Hampton Court, perhaps it'd be simpler & cheaper to just get a quote from west quay for a transfer to Hampton Court and on to Heathrow. There are luggage lockers at Hampton Court, but I know nothing about them - it's 10 urban miles from T3 .

 

In the UK a "van" is what you'd call a panel van. So the words you're looking for are "mini-bus"  or "MPV"

Of the other operators in my previous post, Smiths and Blackberry have suitable minibuses. I don't know about Aquacars, I guess that'd need an e-mail.

 

BTW.....

Alamo / National used to be behind City Cruise Terminal, but now they're opposite the train station - even closer to Novotel, just a two-minute walk. I think the only signs you may see at the premises are for their partner Enterprise

 https://goo.gl/maps/XdepF29DMVgB5thE9

(spin the camera to the right, Novotel is the red/yellow-banded building, with its name running down the blank end)

 

Titanic Walk & Tudor House are in Southampton, not Portsmouth.

But Portsmouth is well worth a day (or more!!)

- the historic dockyard & ships, Spinnaker Tower and Gunwharf Quays  (multi-storey parking in Admiralty Road off Queen St, or at Gunwharf Quays)

- and a couple of miles away on Southsea seafront, diminutive Southsea Castle, the adjacent D-day museum, other attractions, and waterfront views across to the Isle of Wight. Waterfront parking (metered) on Clarence Esplanade

https://goo.gl/maps/GkpQBVC6B17X1ap3A

 

Nominally Novotel to Remedy Oak is about an hour's drive, but if it's on a summer saturday it's best to allow for up to double that time because you'll be sharing the road across the New Forest with folk heading to the beaches.

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John Bull said:

 

Hi Darcy,

  

Yes, I had the same problem - "web a/c suspended"

So I phoned West Quay. They said there are tech issues with Discover the South's website but that they were trading as usual, and suggested you contact them via info@westquaycars.com 

Or, since it'd be problematic & time-consuming to build in an interesting route or stops between Southampton & Hampton Court, perhaps it'd be simpler & cheaper to just get a quote from west quay for a transfer to Hampton Court and on to Heathrow. There are luggage lockers at Hampton Court, but I know nothing about them - it's 10 urban miles from T3 . Only looking for direct trip to Hampton Court, we're OK with paying wait time for the driver, PITA to tote luggage and secure. Last year, Discover's driver dropped us in Lyndhurst car park to meander the shops [nice antique shop]  and cream tea. He secured the MPV with our luggage and when we were ready drove through the Forest, stopping at a few sites, then onto a rail station so that  our soon to be married friend could head back to Bournemouth. 

 

In the UK a "van" is what you'd call a panel van. So the words you're looking for are "mini-bus"  or "MPV"

Of the other operators in my previous post, Smiths and Blackberry have suitable minibuses. I don't know about Aquacars, I guess that'd need an e-mail.  Ooops, on the vehicle, yes an MPV is needed. Just got a quote from Blackberry for 129 GBP and will go with them upon arrival since they are airport based.  

 

BTW.....

Alamo / National used to be behind City Cruise Terminal, but now they're opposite the train station - even closer to Novotel, just a two-minute walk. I think the only signs you may see at the premises are for their partner Enterprise

 https://goo.gl/maps/XdepF29DMVgB5thE9    

(spin the camera to the right, Novotel is the red/yellow-banded building, with its name running down the blank end)  We have stayed at the Novotel in the past, thus booking something we're familiar with in Southampton. When we walked to the local wine shop, DH saw the Enterprise sign - he's using his personal corporate account and got an excellent rate for a C-class Mercedes. 

 

Titanic Walk & Tudor House are in Southampton, not Portsmouth. Last time in Southampton, we stopped at Tudor House, but it's was very near closing time, so we never did the tour. Of course we'll  stop once again at Duke of Wellington and Dancing Man. 

But Portsmouth is well worth a day (or more!!) 

- the historic dockyard & ships, Spinnaker Tower and Gunwharf Quays  (multi-storey parking in Admiralty Road off Queen St, or at Gunwharf Quays) DH enjoys British naval history so we plan a full day in Portsmouth. 

- and a couple of miles away on Southsea seafront, diminutive Southsea Castle, the adjacent D-day museum, other attractions, and waterfront views across to the Isle of Wight. Waterfront parking (metered) on Clarence Esplanade

https://goo.gl/maps/GkpQBVC6B17X1ap3A  I have a bag of British coins for the meters! In the US,  parking meters are not commonplace at places such as grocery markets or restaurants and that damn "parking eye" sent us a few costly tickets, all of which I got dismissed. 

 

Nominally Novotel to Remedy Oak is about an hour's drive, but if it's on a summer saturday it's best to allow for up to double that time because you'll be sharing the road across the New Forest with folk heading to the beaches. Hoping the early April date and cool spring time weather will keep the locals off the roads, but will monitor the traffic and plan accordingly. I've been in New Forest traffic a few times, at least the donkeys and ponies provided a distraction.  I have multiple routes book marked through rome2rio. 

 

                                                 

Thank you so very much for your help.   

 

Darcy             

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, WatchHill said:

Hello JB

 

I'm in dire need of your expertise. We 4 [adults] will be arriving LHR, T3/Virgin Atlantic, at 10:35 and doing egate passport control, then heading directly to Southampton, Novotel for 5 nights with one of the car services. DH will pick up the rental at Alamo near the hotel for our travels in the immediate area.  We are heading to a wedding at Remedy Oak on the 4th, and also planning a day in Portsmouth, Titanic walk, Tudor House, and whatever.

 

Now the return to LHR becomes the issue. Post cruises we have used Discover the South [part of Westquay] to arrange custom transfers and have been very pleased with the ability to come up with unique experiences beyond the usual tourist stops. Now, I find that Discover's website no longer exists. Is this a seasonal issue or has the service ceased? 

 

My post travel plans were to be picked up early on the 6th, [adding a 5th adult] travel directly to Hampton Court for about 3 hours, then onto LHR to check in for our early evening flight to Boston. Do you know of any other reliable van services that would offer something to accommodate this plan? 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, John Bull said:

 

 

You'll certainly have the time - but it'd be relatively expensive.

 

Anticipate about 90 minutes from LHR touch-down to meeting your driver in the arrivals hall.

From LHR the direct route to Southampton is about 65 miles,  85 minutes depending on day-of-the-week / time-of-day, and should cost a little under £100.

I guess last-registration time for the ship is around 5.30pm to 6pm, but that's something you should check.

From that you should have some idea of the time you'll have available for diversions and stops. 

 

 

Sadly the direct route (M3 motorway) is remarkably boring, with few worthwhile places on or very close to the route.

There are more-scenic (but not particularly scenic) routes such as the Meon Valley, but I don't rate the benefit worth the extra cost

 

https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/visit/#gs.p7ju0z 

Henry V111's Hampton Court isn't on the route, but is only about 6 - 8 mils from LHR. Worth a couple of hours, plus about 30 minutes driving-time.

 

https://www.rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle 

Windsor Castle is high on the must-do list for visitors to England and only 6 - 8 minutes from LHR (opposite direction to Hampton Court - so it's the one or the other, not both).

Worth up to 2 hours, and perhaps another half-hour to explore the compact town centre. Add 20 to 30 minutes to the driving-time.

 

https://www.milestonesmuseum.org.uk/ 

At Basingstoke, is about half-way, and only a couple of miles off-route. Not iconic like other places, but easier to reach and worth an hour or more.

 

https://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/

Highclere Castle (not actually a castle, more a Country House) has an interesting history. It was the home of Lord Carnarvon, who funded Howard Cater's discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamen (and was a victim of its subsequent curse), but is better known as the location of Downton Abbey. I'm no fan of Downton Abbey, never even managed to sit thro one episode, so I've never visited. But I guess it's worth 90 mins to 2 hours. If your partner is a Downton Abbey fan you'll earn brownie points if you arrange to go there. :classic_wink: Off-route, adds about 45 minutes driving time.  

 

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

and / or https://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/salisbury

Stonehenge is top of many folks' list, though I'm a pleb and see it as just a stack of stones. If it appeals, get back here for advice on booking cos of the admission timings. Allow about 90 minutes for a visit.

From Stonehenge, Salisbury is about 20 minutes closer to Southampton. Known for its glorious cathedral, but its laid-back historic city centre is also wonderful. A favourite little city of mine. Perhaps a couple of hours in the city.

Off-route - one or the other or both, adds about 45 minutes to the drive-time

 

https://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/ 

Winchester is close to Southampton and just a mile off-route. The ancient cathedral is worth an hour, and the compact city centre mebbe another hour.

 

I don't know the effect on costings - waiting time shouldn't be too drastically expensive, diversion costs will be variable.

 

Can I suggest you ask for quotes for no more than two of those options (you can always negotiate a change later).

Try

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

(all based a the Southampton end)

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

(airport-based)

 

If you can make a bus at LHR for 12.20pm I can suggest a much cheaper way to visit Salisbury -  and Stonehenge if your ship registration time allows.)

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

Thank you

 

Darcy

Hello I guess I have a question, most are talking about getting from airport to Southampton. But we are going to be staying in London for a day or two first so what is best way and reasonable from a hotel. We will be going out on a P& O cruise in Southampton on a Tues. I do not know the port or anything yet. This will be in JUly. Thanks Debbie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...