Mardis Gras

Eli_6

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Thanks for the link.   As I was looking on Deck 5, I missed the stuff on deck 8.  But that now looks like all to be Summer landing. With the Pig n Anchor and Steak House toward the aft. Couple of spas a small pool.  Cabins are forward.  Still not seeing anything labelled "Havana".  Maybe my old eyes are missing something.  Because I originally thought I saw the Havana area to the starboard of Summer Landing. Not seeing that now.  If I may ask, what's your cabin number?  that might help me.  I think we're fine with our spa cove in January, but always like to see what available.

Look on deck 8 it is there.

3 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Havana pool won't be a "pool" to any extend. I call this a " large tub".

Please scroll down to 10:25 mark in this video tour.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for posting this. I am really disappointed. You are correct. It just looks like an oversized bath tub!

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, iamsteph said:

FYI, I reached out to Carnival on a popular social media site as to the dimensions of the Havana pool on the Mardi Gras.  I was informed that the 'pool' will be 3ft3in deep.  The remaining dimensions were unknown. 

Pics-Art-10-28-12-28-02.png

Information available @: (Scroll to deck 8)

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5710/~/mardi-gras-(md)-ship-features-and-public-areas

☺️

Edited by ObstructedView2

On 10/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, ronbe65 said:

Havana pool won't be a "pool" to any extend. I call this a " large tub".

Please scroll down to 10:25 mark in this video tour.

Happy cruising!

Exactly.  Think small above ground pool in your back yard.  LOL.  The view will hopefully be better.

One way to determine if it's a "real" pool or not is to look at the deck directly beneath.  Traditional pools with any depth require a pool-well that protrudes into the deck below it.  This is often where the pool machinery is located as well.  The Havana "Pool" on Mardi Gras is located is on a promenade deck that extends out.  There is no deck directly beneath to support a true pool with any depth. 

A large above-deck pre-fab plastic hot tub is likely what the Havana Pool will be.  Better than nothing I guess but nothing compared to the Havana Pools on existing ships.  It's probably the one aspect of Mardi Gras I find disappointing, but I think the ship makes up for it in many other ways with many other pools.  I would just be hesitant to book a Havana cabin on this ship if a real pool is important to you.   

We’re booked on the transatlantic and so concerned about the cruise being cancelled because of ship building delays. Seeing that sister ship from Costa is now delayed for second time, and sister ship from Aida was delayed multiple times. 

Hopefully the shipyard figures out the issues to keep on track!

1 hour ago, scott_gallant said:

We’re booked on the transatlantic and so concerned about the cruise being cancelled because of ship building delays. Seeing that sister ship from Costa is now delayed for second time, and sister ship from Aida was delayed multiple times. 

The Costa delays are for a totally different reason.  This has been brought up before, we are on the initial sailing out of Copenhagen and are not concerned.  

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The Costa delays are for a totally different reason.  This has been brought up before, we are on the initial sailing out of Copenhagen and are not concerned.  

Oh, good to know! Didn’t realize this, makes me feel better. 

Curious, what are the causes of the Costa delays?

Just now, scott_gallant said:

Oh, good to know! Didn’t realize this, makes me feel better. 

Curious, what are the causes of the Costa delays?

Not sure I remember the exact reason, I think it was learning curve, there was also some discussion about two separate yards that are building these ships.  If I am wrong, I am sure some of my friends will jump in and correct me.  When these originally came up, I asked some Carnival mgt and they checked and said she was on schedule. Of course things can change, but again, I am not concerned now.  

5 hours ago, scott_gallant said:

I'm concerned as well in regards to Mardi Gras being completed on time. Costa Smeralda finished sea trials & was then initially delayed by the Meyer Turku ship yard for October to mid November. Now in the most recent Meyer Turku press release Costa Smeralda is delayed until December 21st. Three weeks past its maiden voyage date of November 30th😲... I'm definitely nervous & concerned for Mardi Gras to be completed & ready to sail on schedule.

1st press release delay notification for October to mid November.

Pics-Art-10-29-11-28-37.png

2nd press release with new date of December 21st

Pics-Art-10-29-11-28-00.png

All Meyer Turku press releases @:

https://www.meyerturku.fi/en/meyerturku_com/media/news_releases/news_releases.jsp

😩

Edited by ObstructedView2

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Doesn''t sound to encouraging, does it? 

The premise is that the shipyard (both Papenburg & Turku sites) now have experience with each building an XL Class ship.  AIDA NOVA out of Papenburg Germany and now COSTA SMERALDA out of Turku Finland.  Both have incurred around 3 delivery delays each.  Next on the production line is P&O's IONA from Papenburg.  That should be a good indicator of how much progress the shipyard has made in overcoming the building challenges.  MARDI GRAS will be the second ship XL ship constructed at Turku (4th in the Class) so hopefully some lessons learned.   One major advantage Papenburg has over Turku is that the construction dry dock is completely covered, so weather does not play as big a role.  Also in general it's considered the more advanced shipyard although Meyer is spending a lot to upgrade Turku which is a fairly new addition to the company.  All good news for P&O's IONA.     

So hopefully MARDI GRAS will make her debut on time, but of course there are no guarantees.  Anything can happen during the construction process that could cause setbacks.  I personally consider Meyer Werft the best cruise ship builder in the industry, so I think Carnival is in good hands.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1